The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 10, 2013, 12:47 AM   #1
ZVP

Da Big German stuff!

I
m an airgunner and a powderburner too, but an airgunner first.
I shoot the GOOD European stuff, they have nice wood, exqusite bluing and some are Custom "Tuned". I shoot High Powered "Sporters", Match rifles, and several Light Sporter/Target rifles. Calibers >177, .20, and .22. Te .177 and .22 my favorites.
I have hunted various varmits and pest Species and believe it or not the most powerfull rifles are suitable for Coon and other 35#-40# game. Big Arizona Jacks fall reguarly to air rifles all the time and Cottontail is particularly suited to Air rifle hunts.
Plinking and informal Target shooting is where these air rifles shine!
The Big ones are honestly deadly to humans and much care needs to be praticed for safety's sake!
I didn't find any posts about airguns and wanted to try and discuss this topic because I KNOW there a lot of them in your rifle racks, and they get used regularly!
So OK, Let's talk air rifles...
BPDave
Old February 10, 2013, 01:11 AM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Quackenbush airguns. I want one.

I'm hoping to make my own Girandoni someday. Have to figure out how to get the receiver casted. I suppose I can carve the halves out of wood and send them to a foundry.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #3
FALPhil

I have an old RWS 45 in .177 that has served me well. It will still put a Crossman dome pellet all the way through a tree rat at 25 yards.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:15 PM   #4
ZVP

Custom airguns and antiques are pretty pricey! Usually a Guy like Dennis Quackenbush puts his heart and soul into each custom and it SHOWS!
Production rifles like the RWS 45 (there were 3 different Model 45's) are generally very good the higher quality ones preform as stated (thru a tree Rat!) and do so for decades if cared for, Generations sometimes!
Your inital investment into a precision Airgun is sorta high but you get what you pay for. Inexpensive imports (Like some Asian rifles) need work before even firing a shot! SO what do you really save with those?
Buy Spanish, German, Turkish, British and you will generally get a good rifle. All have been in the gun business for centuries.
The joy of a precision air rifle is that you can shoot in more populated areas or closer to populated areas without disturbing others. Range and richoet are lessened and in several States you can hunt legally with one (Like California!)
Power and precision levels are high enough to deliver super accurate and adequate Vitals hits and humanely take game and Varmits.
Just another "tool" that the shooter can add to his/her battery of arms.
Shooting for fun or for food, a Precision airgun will deliver!
Several types of powerplants are available to shoot with. Spring, Precharged Pneumatic and CO2 are the most popular, though there are Gas rams that replace springs and several good "tuners' can extract maximum preformance from your rifle! Even left "stock" they are pretty impressive!!!
Just wanted to open folks eyes to another fun facet of the shooting world...
ZVP
Old February 10, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Slopemeno

I've done quite a bit of small game hunting with my Beeman C-1 in .177. It's quiet enough to shoot in the 'burbs without arousing suspicion, but powerful enough to shoot through alot of stuff at distance. IIRC I paid $125 new for it. I have an SS-3 for it that I should mount to it again, though I prefer a Williams ghost-ring setup.
Old February 11, 2013, 11:09 AM   #6
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVP
I shoot the GOOD European stuff, they have nice wood, exqusite bluing and some are Custom "Tuned".
Thought you might appreciate my air rifle, then - a Weihrauch HW55 with a Tyrolean stock:

HW55T:

It's nice to look at, but even nicer to shoot. The target below is from my first outing with it:

5 rounds, 10 meters, standing, unsupported:
Old February 11, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Inspector3711

I love my trusty old Gamo Hunter 440 but...

Quote:
Quackenbush airguns. I want one.
I couldn't agree with this statement more...