The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 1, 2009, 08:26 PM   #1
roach4047

Tech question.

I just purchased an Ithica 37 with a full choke 28" smoothbore barrel. I've been told that it would be ok to shoot lead slugs for the purpose of hunting deer. I don't know much about the differences in the types of slugs. I've seen there are rifled slugs. Can I shoot those too and still be safe? The reason I ask is because I purchased a couple of boxes of slugs not realizing there were "rifled slugs" and I guess just plain old slugs.

I was concerned that a full choke might not be slug friendly...

What you say?

Rifled led slugs ok?
Regular led slugs ok?
Or don't use slugs of any type in a full choke?

Roach
Old February 1, 2009, 10:00 PM   #2
dahermit

If you are referring to the hollow base rifled slug, they are safe in any choke. The Lyman (they made molds for slugs) used to sell a tool to impress "rifling" into the hollow base slugs after casting. They stopped selling the tool and recommended that the slugs be loaded and shot as-cast without any "rifling" because they determined that the marks did not rotate the slug, they just flew nose-forward due to the badminton shuttlecock shape of the slug. I believe the hollow base slugs are referred to as Forrester style slugs...they have been shooting them through full chokes for years with no problems.