The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 19, 2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Firefighter88

Rifle Sling suggestions

I've been looking around a bit at rifle slings for my Winchester Model 70 FWT. I like the padded leather cobra sling that has Winchester wrote on it but heard it scratches the gun. My gun has a wooden stock by the way. Just wanted suggestions on a sling that looks good and will last as long as the rifle.
Old August 19, 2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Firefighter88

Sorry, not much info... I'm not sure what part was causing the scratches on the one persons rifle I heard was scratched. Most likely not the leather of course, but possibly the swivels or other metal parts.
Old August 19, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Creeper

Brownell's "Quick Set" Sling... no exposed metal.

C
Old August 19, 2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Doyle

Take a look at Limbsaver's new sling. I haven't seen one in person yet but their advertising makes it look sweet.
Old August 20, 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Clark

My best sling is a vero vellini 3.3" wide V19023 Wide-Top Black Sling.

That has the Uncle Mikes type swivel built in.

The super expensive slings are leather.
I don't want leather. I want the medium priced soft and stretchy slings that keep my shoulder from feeling so tired.

You should be able to Google "V19023" and find some place that can get it to your door for less than $50.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vero Vellini V19023 comes with swivels.jpg (10.0 KB, 95 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 21, 2012, 12:41 AM   #6
kraigwy

On my Winchester hunting rifles I put on 1 1/4 sling swivels and use the 1907 style military leather sling. I set them up the same as I do my service (match) rifles.

I've been using this sling for a lot of years (over 35) in competition and can slipe it on pretty dern quick so I can use the sling postitions for hunting.

With practice you can have the sling on your arm in the time it takes to drop in position to shoot what ever critter you're after.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 21, 2012, 07:12 AM   #7
gaseousclay

Montana Sling
Old August 21, 2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Firefighter88

I'm not sure the type of leather sling I have, it's been around awhile and is kinda worn out. It's leather, has two holes with a piece with two hooks that go into holes to keep it in one place like a belt. Well one day hunting the loop that holds the hook in place slid down and hook came loose, causing the strap to detach from the top of my old Remington 742, followed by cuss words as the barrel hit the ground. Just tossing around whether or not to invest in new sling for my new gun, or fix old sling so it doesn't come loose. I kinda want a new sling that stays with the gun if I ever pass it down someday.

Creeper, I'm not opposed to spending that kind of dough on a sling if its durable, and functional, as well as idiot proof. I've used slings in the past mainly to carry the rifle, but I'm starting to learn they have many other functions. I know they aren't that complicated, just want one that can't come loose and put my new rifle on the ground.

Thanks for the options, gonna take a look at what yall have so far and see what I like. I think I need to go to an outdoor store and see some in person though before I jump on one. Thanks, again, for the help.
Old August 21, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Firefighter88

It appears I have a 1907 military style sling, I just don't know how to use it. I may have to research the proper way to attach and use it.
Old August 21, 2012, 11:51 AM   #10
kraigwy

Quote:
I may have to research the proper way to attach and use it.
The internet is full of information on using the 1907 sling. If you can't find info that suits you, let me know and I'll get you the instructions.

It's really a lot easier then one thinks and with a tad bit practice its pertty dern quick.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 21, 2012, 12:32 PM   #11
JerryM

I second kraigwy. I use a sling for shooting in addition to carrying.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 21, 2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Firefighter88

Thanks kraigwy, and everyone else that posted, was a lot of help.
Old August 21, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
jmr40

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

Buy the 1" version. You'll love it. The padded slings weigh up to 2 lbs and with a 2 lb weight swinging under your gun it makes it hard to shoot. You don't need that on a lightweight gun anyway. My 1 1/4" Montana weighs 6 oz and can be used as a shooting sling as well.

I wish I had gone with the 1" version. It would have been lighter and worked as better with my guns.
Old April 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #14
Forrest58

Leather Rifle Slings with graphics (very durable)

These rifle slings are pretty cool, the only metal is the screws.

http://www.bullslings.com/