The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 27, 2013, 07:34 PM   #101
Dragline45

For .22 500rnd bulk packs I used to pay anywhere from $18-25 on average before the ammo craziness happened.
Old April 27, 2013, 07:44 PM   #102
POKEYJOE04

I found a box of CCI .22 WMR at the LGS yesterday. It was only one box of 50, but it is the first box I have seen since December, and the price was only $16.95 plus tax. It was an encouraging sign at least.
Old April 27, 2013, 08:16 PM   #103
xando

I bought a Remington 525 pack this morning for $28 (they had dozens of boxes but limited to 1 per) and also got a CCI 100 box for $9. Good to see any 22 and that cheap, but bummed about the 1 box limit.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:37 PM   #104
SilkyGK

Where can I get 22 LR ammo

I need to know where to get 22lr ammo please tell me if anyone has any for sale let me know
Old April 27, 2013, 10:44 PM   #105
Malamute

Was in town today. Wal Mart didnt have much ammo, but they had 10,000 rds of 22's last nite, it was gone in 1 1/2 hrs. They also had a shelf full of powder, and various pistol rounds, (9's, 40's, 45 autos and 223's) they sold also. The sporting goods guy I talked to said most of it didnt make it to the shelf, people were buying it as quickly as he took it out of the cases. Another employee said they got "cases and cases and cases" of 22's in on a saturday a week or so ago, and they were gone by noon.

Couple weeks ago, I happened to see some ammo on the bottom of a pallete waiting to be stocked, I rounded up a sporting goods guy and bought some bulk Federal 375 rd 22's for $13 and change per box. They had 45 autos, 40's, and 380's, all for normal prices. 380 seems to stay on the shelf longest, its often in stock.

Local shop has a pretty decent supply of most ammo for about normal prices, though he said his costs have gone up in the past few months from $2-$4 a box on many pistol rounds. He had PMC 9's for $17/box. He's rarely had 9's the past few months. 22's have been hard for him to get, but he gets them off and on, they're often a bit high, like about $10 for 100 rds of mini-mags, he just has trouble finding them. One of his employees, said it seems like it's slowly getting better with supplies.

The problem isn't "no ammo', it's being bought as fast as it hits the shelf in many places. Many shops are simply having trouble finding things in stock with their wholesalers since the demand is so high.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; April 27, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:06 PM   #106
steelbird

Large primers at Natchez

Natchez has CCI large pistol primers. Limit to 2 boxes of 1,000 per customer, per day. Ordered last night, along with a box of AR tactical 22LR. Primers still there as I write this, ammo is not.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:05 PM   #107
BombthePeasants

Are primers now the bottleneck component?

I'm having a devil of a time finding them, not that I'm desperate, I have a small cache of already-built rounds, but I would always like more primers. I just can't seem to find any. So the question for the class is: Are you guys finding them? If so, where?

thanks everyone!
Old April 29, 2013, 12:21 PM   #108
BigD_in_FL

Have you been looking online or just locally? They are available, but you will have to do some serious searching
Old April 29, 2013, 12:25 PM   #109
NoSecondBest

I haven't had any trouble getting any components since all the "shortages" began. I simply get on a backorder list and the stuff shows up after several weeks. It's just not sitting on the shelves. It's still being produced.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:26 PM   #110
Sure shot wv

They are tough but I'm seeing them a lot more the last week. Mainly online. However I haven't bought any due to the limits. Most companies are putting a 2 limit max on primers. For me it's not worth it with the hazmat fee. If I can buy 5 or 10k then the hazmat doesn't bother me but not for 2k.

The fee makes it out to about 40-50 dollars per 1k. No thank you. I'm not ready to pay that price yet.

In the last week midway, Natchez, cabelas, and Sinclair have had primers come in stock. That's what I've seen at least.

Hope that helps ya
Old April 29, 2013, 12:27 PM   #111
rajbcpa

I have not seen primers locally or on the Internet for at least 4 months.

Last August, I could not find any in 4 local stores so I began buying on the Net.

The powder shortage began much later, say last October. Brass became more scarce in January and shortages of projectiles soon followed.

I don't believe the last shortage after Obama's first election spread to all components like now. That tells me that this shortage is much more sever and will last much longer.
Old April 29, 2013, 12:36 PM   #112
spacecoast

I was "lucky" and found 7K primers back in Jan/Feb from Natchez. I haven't looked seriously online since. A local reloading store has them for $35-40/1000 with a limit of 1,000 of each type per day.
Old April 29, 2013, 01:43 PM   #113
Beanie-Bean

Powder Valley has a wide variety of Tula primers available now. Grab 'em while you can!
Old April 29, 2013, 02:12 PM   #114
BombthePeasants

I just checked, they all say "sold out"...

EDIT: Holy crap, they JUST changed the page! like maybe 5 minutes ago! sorry...

Aww man, no Large Pistol Primers though...
Old April 29, 2013, 02:19 PM   #115
JimDandy

It's not the only bottleneck. Bullets are hard to come by in some calibers too. .224, .451 for example.
Old April 29, 2013, 02:26 PM   #116
Hammerhead

Bullets and primers.
Powder seems to be in pretty good supply around here.
Old April 29, 2013, 02:32 PM   #117
JimDandy

Depends on caliber and where you look there too. I have some powder, but not for the stuff I have bullets and primers for.
Old April 29, 2013, 03:20 PM   #118
745SW

“380 seems to stay on the shelf longest, its often in stock.”

That I find rather interesting because I believe LAX ammo at the most recent gun show in Ventura had plenty of 380. And most likely it was readily available from other sellers as well including Miwall. Perhaps even my local Big5.

It doesn’t register with me because it’s not a cartridge of interest, I’ve always felt it to be a lousy value compared to 9mm. IMO 380 is substantially cheaper to make compared to 9mm but because of the market forces like demand/volume the cost is always higher. Me thinks because of the shortage it would be more profitable to make 380 than 9mm.

I will endeavor to include 380 availability in my future posts.

Last edited by 745SW; April 29, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old April 29, 2013, 09:17 PM   #119
sir_n0thing

Was at Gander Mountain in Madison, WI yesterday. There was no .45ACP or 9mm to be seen anywhere in the store, but I did see some .380 SD ammo on the shelf. Speer, Federal, Corbon, etc. First .380 I have seen in months.
PLENTY of .40 S&W to be had (.40 is evidently not very popular around here, because I often see it at local vendors, such as Wal Mart).
There was a fair supply of .357 MAG, but only in SD loads, no FMJ/range ammo.
There was a stack of Federal XM193 5.56mm, $12/box "Limit 1 box per customer".

I tell you one thing, I bought a 9mm handgun partly because "you can get ammo anywhere". Ditto my .22LR rifle. Now I I find myself wondering if I should have bought a .40 and a 17HMR. Hehehe...
Old April 29, 2013, 10:01 PM   #120
Malamute

Quote:
...I tell you one thing, I bought a 9mm handgun partly because "you can get ammo anywhere". Ditto my .22LR rifle. Now I find myself wondering if I should have bought a .40 and a 17HMR. Hehehe...
Well, another way to look at that is, more people have 9's and 22's, so if buying stuff at the store was entirely out of the question for some reason, you'd be more likely to find 9's or 22's from somebody.

This "shortage" is a demand spike issue. The ammo companies are making tons of the stuff, most people just dont see it sit on the shelf, since so many people are in freak-out mode and buying it whenever they see it. It's a situation that feeds on itself. If people stopped buying everything they saw, the "shortage" would be over in no time, and prices would be back to normal (with normal inflation levels). Most large suppliers have prices at normal levels still.

I mentioned 380's because I think somebody else did. They are about $35/100, or $22/50 at wal mart. Other shops have it also. It's about the only pistol ammo besides 45 Colt that wal mart has on the shelf most of the time when I go in.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old April 30, 2013, 09:29 PM   #121
teeroux

Quote:
Because every Walmart has a line of people waiting, at 6:30AM, at the ammo counter, to buy ammo, as it's being stocked. By 8:30 AM, it's all gone because nobody wants to miss a chance to buy ammo.
This quote is from a recent closed thread. No it is not because of this. None of my local Walmarts have been getting anything but hunting rounds and shotgun shells. I should know I work off duty security late night to morning shifts when they recieve the stock and place the palates on the floor. There hasn't been any common use pistol ammo in a month.(22lr, 380, 9mm, 40, 45acp) Cause I check every time they stock. There ain't no line to get it either.

Now the local shop gets some in every once in a while. He sells some and keeps the rest to match stock in guns he is selling. Just so if someone buys a gun they can at least buy a box of ammo to shoot it.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:33 PM   #122
Plumbnut

My local Walmart gets .45 acp,9mm and .40 on a regular basis. I get it either late at night or early in the morning. Never have I been there in the middle of the day or early in the evening and they had ammo. It sells out with in a few hours.

Thats the way it is around here and cant speak for other places.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:38 PM   #123
Malamute

Stopped in a small town hardware store today, they had several rifle calibers in stock, (270, '06, 30-30 and several others) and several calibers of pistol ammo, like 45 auto, 9mm, 38 spl, 40, and a couple others. Prices all looked pretty normal, which for them means about the same or less than wal mart. They've had ammo all along, at normal prices, just never more than a few boxes of anything at a time that I've seen. They also had some powder for relaoding, maybe 5-6 different types. They said they are getting stuff in they ordered 6 months ago.
Old April 30, 2013, 09:44 PM   #124
David13

It looks like .308 Win is coming into stock. I have two pending orders for 60 and 80 rounds. And it's getting to just over $1.00 a round.
I was getting American Eagle at $1.50 a round, and when I see a bargain on that I will get more.
The other stuff is the cheaper stuff, but it works. And doesn't jam.
dc
Old May 1, 2013, 10:11 AM   #125
spacecoast

If you want a good laugh go to gunbroker and search for "federal auto match". People are setting buy-it-now prices of $90 and $100 plus shipping for 325 rounds. Obscene.
Closed Thread