The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 14, 2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What you think.

Hello gentlemen. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not in the correct thread to ask a question of ya'll.
Recently came across a complete box in very good to excellent shape containing (20) original 32-40 Winchester shells. The uniqueness of this find is their label. It's a John Wayne Commemorative box of shells. Does anyone know just what there resale value might be? or perhaps if there is good reason to hang onto for the purpose of collecting? Appreciate any and all information you may have to offer.
Old July 14, 2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Scorch

The John Wayne commemorative ammo was produced in 1980 along with a commemorative Winchester 94 rifle to commemorate the life and career of John Wayne, who died of cancer in June of 1979. They were available in several calibers including 32-40 and 38-55 for about 5 years.

I don't know if yours is terribly valuable to anyone except someone who owns a 32-40 rifle. Collectors generally want pretty pristine boxes unless the ammo is extremely rare. Take it to a gun show and show it to some of the collector types.
Old July 14, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3
arcticap

I searched "John Wayne Commemorative" on Gunbroker and there's 5 sellers listing some for sale. Someone has bid $40.04 for one box with the reserve not met, and another seller has a fixed price of $55 for one box which has zero bids.
One seller is charging $75 for 3 boxes of .30-30 which has 1 bid, and another is charging $80 for 2 boxes of .45 LC which has zero bids.

Search results:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Ammunition/...+Commemorative

$40.04 Bid:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=295230471

$55.00 fixed price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=294714887
Old July 14, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Hawg

I've seen some old posts on other forums asking 14 bucks per cartridge but all the more recent stuff I've seen runs around 50 per box if the box is pristine.
Old July 14, 2012, 11:21 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I see it at gunshows occasionally. Most of the time it's in the $30 to $75 a box range, depending on caliber.

Apparently .30-30 and .45 Colt were the most common, and .32-40 and .38-55 less so.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 20, 2012, 12:30 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Thanks fellas for replying. Gives me some info on what to do with them. I have had offers of 40.00 to purchase. But to ship with (Hazmat fee) as required by all shippers. It just doesn't make sense to sell these shells online for no less than 65-70.00 for the entire box. Maybe in the Fall when the Gun Shows are more prevalent here I can tote them 32-40s along and try to peddle them at a show. Otherwise I can have a good time shooting up some pretty spendy shells. Nothing wrong in doing that either.
Old July 21, 2012, 04:54 PM   #7
arcticap

AFAIK there isn't any Hazmat fee in effect yet for shipping cartridge ammo. It needs to be labeled "ORM-D, cartridges, small arms" on one side of the box and shipped by Ground transportation only.
I usually ship at a full UPS customer service center where there's a truck terminal.
Fedex has full service centers too.
Or register online to ship the package and for about $4 more a UPS truck will come to your house and pick up the package and take it directly to the terminal.
The stores won't usually accept any packages that are marked "ORM-D". But one of their sales clerks once told me to just leave the label off and they will accept it. However that label is required by the U.S. DOT.
The most important thing is that cartridge ammo should never be shipped through the U.S. Mail in any way, shape or form.

Last edited by arcticap; July 21, 2012 at 05:08 PM.