The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 13, 2011, 09:05 AM   #26
muddinman_04

If it has AA sites then it would be a Type 99 rifle.

Can you post pictures?
Old September 13, 2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

hmmm... could be a 99... not my area of expertise... I haven't taken any pics yet... but could...

has the ( like ) 1500 meter rear sight, & a windage adjustable front sight...
Old September 13, 2011, 09:47 AM   #28
muddinman_04

Type 99 receiver markings:

Type 38 receiver markings:
Old September 14, 2011, 11:44 AM   #29
doofus47

1 vent hole over the chamber is 99
2 vents is type 38.

OK, back to the tizzy fest that I started by accident about dust covers: I found my IJA-issue small arms manual. I will see if they have a maintenance section that will probably deal with dissassembly. The manual is not specific to the rifles only, so I may have nothing.

Does anyone know the actual Japanese word or kanji for the dust cover. Being an official manual, they will certainly not say "just take that thing off whenever and wherever you want."
However, if they do make explicit mention that one should not the importance of not losing the dust cover, it would be interesting. Also, if they specifically warn against throwing it away, we can assume that people threw them away.

I'm completely willing to admit that I have MUCH less knowledge concerning Arisakas than a truly dedicated and well-read collector.
Old September 14, 2011, 12:01 PM   #30
James K
Member In Memoriam

Muddinman, it is too bad that the U.S. did not have someone around in 1941-1945 who could read the minds of the Japanese as well as you can. You could have saved us a lot of fighting and thousands of lives by just divining their plans and intentions.

Jim
Old September 14, 2011, 01:00 PM   #31
muddinman_04

I'm not going to argue with you. You really should pick up a book and read a little bit about the Japanese military during the Second World War.

Please stop trying to draw me into an argument with your smartass comments...It's not going to happen. If you can't understand what I have explicitly laid out in my previous post than having an intelligent conversation with you is going to be impossible. How dare you use the lives given by our veterans as a punch line for your "witty" little comment.

As for the OP. I apologize for your thread being hijacked. I hope that you find the parts to restore your rifle.