The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Which pump shotgun will last the longest before breaking?
Browning 19 9.79%
Benelli nova/supernova 12 6.19%
Winchester 1200/1300 10 5.15%
Mossberg 500 51 26.29%
Remington 870 102 52.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 5, 2010, 10:20 AM   #101
mathman

Yes...the older Wingmasters are fine shotguns indeed. The newer 870s with all their cheaper MIM and plastic parts will probably not prove to be as good as the older Wingmasters in the long run. 870s are a very bitter subject for me. It really is a shame when a company has a really good thing going and then decides to screw it all up in the name of a little more profit.
Old March 5, 2010, 10:23 AM   #102
spotter123654

ithaca 37
Old March 5, 2010, 10:35 AM   #103
XD Gunner

Quote:
Right...that's kind of what I thought you'd say.
Don't be a dick. There is also a reason why so many people own the 870, one has to do with availability, but even now, when Benelli's, Beretta's, Brownings, Winchesters, and all of the "off-brands' are so prevalent and affordable, 870's are still being sold in the droves, I see 870's being turned over 3 and 4 times a week at the local toy stores, while the other brands sit for weeks at a time. Why? There are many reasons to that why, but I'm sure that reliability, functionality, smoothness, and point-ability are some of them.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton

Last edited by XD Gunner; March 5, 2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:06 AM   #104
mathman

Quote:
Don't be a dick.
Watch your mouth. You wouldn't say that to me if we were face to face, so don't say it on the internet...punk.

Why do idiots like you always take this so personal?

Last edited by mathman; March 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:17 AM   #105
oletymer

Mathman is right. The majority of the 870 being sold are Express models, not Wingmasters. Remington is dooming a once great gun to satisfy people that can't tell the difference.
Old March 5, 2010, 01:33 PM   #106
XD Gunner

Quote:
Watch your mouth. You wouldn't say that to me if we were face to face, so don't say it on the internet...punk.
Really? You think I wouldn't? Your 100% wrong. You know me? You going to beat me up if I say "you're a dick" to you in person?

Quote:
Why do idiots like you always take this so personal?
So, you tell me to watch my mouth, then call me a punk and an idiot? Would you say those things in person? Who is taking things personal? How about YOU step away from the keyboard warrior mentality for a minute and listen.

I didn't take anything personal, at all, until YOU started smarting off. Now, I threw in a line from "MythBusters" one that Adam Savage uses, to make light of the situation, because I saw where it could possibly go, but you made your little remark, and I responded in kind. You want to make more of this, and continue this internet *peeing* contest? Continue to tell me what I would and would not do, and call me names after you told me not too. If not, I agree we disagree and that's the end of it. Heck, I may have been the one to initially misunderstand, I don't feel that way, but no ones perfect.

Quote:
Mathman is right. The majority of the 870 being sold are Express models, not Wingmasters. Remington is dooming a once great gun to satisfy people that can't tell the difference.
Probably, but then again, I don't know of any gun I feel is made better now, than it was 50 years ago. If your price range includes Brownings, Supernova's and Winchester 1300's, your not going to be looking at the Express model. I'm not being a brand "fanboy", I just know that there are 870's that have been around since the fifties that have never had a malfunction. They are tanks, and those same guns will be going strong 50 more years from now.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton

Last edited by XD Gunner; March 5, 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old March 5, 2010, 02:46 PM   #107
mathman

XDGunner,

It's not smarting off when you say things that are true. I didn't personally attack you...just stated something about shotguns that you don't agree with.

Get a grip...that's it from me...out.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:13 PM   #108
Leif

Quote:
There is a reason why over 50% of the poll suggests the 870.
That may also have something to do with all the tacticool crap that people want to hang on their shotguns, which is far more available for 870s than other brands.

Market share is a weird thing, but it rarely boils down to a single factor like reliability.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:15 PM   #109
Leif

Quote:
Yes...the older Wingmasters are fine shotguns indeed. The newer 870s with all their cheaper MIM and plastic parts will probably not prove to be as good as the older Wingmasters in the long run. 870s are a very bitter subject for me. It really is a shame when a company has a really good thing going and then decides to screw it all up in the name of a little more profit.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this statement - I agree wholeheartedly.
Old March 5, 2010, 03:19 PM   #110
Buzzard Bait

How many generations?

I would think with normal use and proper care any of those shot guns would last several generations so are talking about if your grand kids wear it out or your great grand kids?
BB