The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 16, 2004, 01:48 PM   #1
78kitty

Powder by Mail?

I'm wondering what is the best place to get powder? Unfortunatley the big sporting goods stores have run all the specialty shops out of business around here, and no little shops that're left have a decent selection of gun powder and supplies. In fact the only place I know that has a good selection is a major retailer at the mall which is a 45 minute drive away, and then you have to park 1/2 a mile away, hope no one backs into you or your truck, then find someone to get the powders, primers etc, and then finally ring you out. I would like to buy powders by mail, but..

1. I know there's a hazardous materials fee associated with that. I believe its $25 :barf: . Is the $25 fee per order or per container of powder?

2. Can anyone recommend a good place to mail order powder, primers, etc? I use H110 for my .44Mag, IMR4831 for 7mmRemMag rifle, and would like to soon try Alliant's Unique (now part of Hodgon) for the .44.

Any other info about mail ordering vs. driving 70 miles per trip would be appreciated to. Thanks, Dave
Old November 16, 2004, 05:05 PM   #2
JoeHatley

www.powdervalleyinc.com

$20 per order haz-mat fee. Their prices are pretty good, so it takes some of the "sting" out of mail order.

They will also combine primers with powder for one haz-mat fee.

Good Luck...

Joe
Old November 16, 2004, 09:21 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

Dave, I'm big on surplus powders and get most of mine from www.gibrass.com. Order six jugs at a time and Jeff picks up the hazmat fee. It's a pretty big outlay, but one order can cover the full range of reloading and will do most folks for years. Prices run about half of cannister powders, maybe less if you are used to buying in one pound cans.

I get my primers at gun shows and try to keep at least a year's worth on the shelf. If that source dried up, I would grit my teeth and buy the max you can get on one hazmat fee by mail. I think that is 30k primers and should be just under $14@k, even paying hazmat.

Another source worth checking is www.patsreloading.com.
Old November 16, 2004, 09:43 PM   #4
drinks

Powder

Dave;
Unique is still Alliant, a very similar powder is Universal by Hodgdon.
Alliant also has a powder a little slower than Unique, Herco, that I have been using more than 40 years in shotguns to .44-40 and even 7.62x54R with medium velocity cast bullet loads, decent midrange velocities with economical charge weights.
Don, Happy shooting
Old November 17, 2004, 01:31 AM   #5
snuffy

Hodgden just bought out the IMR powder company. Alliant is the new,(well in the last ten years), name for the old hercules powder company. Western powders just bought out the accurate arms powder company. The deck keeps getting re-shuffled!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?