The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 05:44 PM   #1
jason_iowa

Middle road

Where does quality and price meet for the best value in a single action revolver. Is it in a Ruger or a Freedom Arms or is there something in between?
Old February 3, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Yours is a question for the Economics forum, I think.

Setting a quantitative measure on a qualitative characteristic is tough.

Microeconomics focuses on how one buyer does it for one item. Macroeconomics focuses on how a market does it for masses of items. But ultimately this is the conundrum of how to assess objectively (monetarily) an inherently subjective feature.

In short, you have a GREAT question to which you are not going to get a definitive answer here, or probably anywhere.

The empirical answer, though, is that they are both still being bought, sold and new ones made. Therefore, one can conclude that the "quality" per dollar is equal, as judged by the macroeconomic market.

Since I have two Blackhawks to only one Freedom Arms, in my microeconomic mind, the Rugers must have more quality per cost than the FA.

Regards. Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep.

p.s. of course, there are those in between. Beretta makes a dandy single-action as well as many other manufacturers.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:22 PM   #3
edfrompa

Ruger all the way. Blackhawks are awesome. Built like a tank.
Old February 3, 2013, 08:28 PM   #4
SgtLumpy

I always consider price last in most any purchase, especially guns. That pistol will outlive you. Whatever the cost is today, amortize it over the next 10-20-30 years or the rest of your life and it ends up costing a few cents per month. The difference in 50c vs 100c per month for a pistol that costs half/twice as much is negligible in the long run. No matter what the cost, if you do indeed shoot the thing, you'll spend more on ammo than you spend on the gun.

Get the widget you want/like best. Only when you've decided the actual widget you want, THEN consider the cost at this vendor vs that vendor for the SAME item.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 3, 2013, 09:14 PM   #5
bigghoss

I had a ruger blackhawk and loved it. I just couldn't afford .45colt ammo so I sold it...then ordered a Lee Classic Turret press
Old February 3, 2013, 09:26 PM   #6
shafter

Considering I can find Blackhawks in the $350 +/- range I'd say it's pretty hard to beat.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Revolver1

Freedom Arms builds a better revolver than Ruger. Cost is the ONLY reason anyone would choose a Ruger over an FA . You get what you pay for!
Old February 3, 2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Bob Wright

Revolver 1 said:
Quote:
Freedom Arms builds a better revolver than Ruger. Cost is the ONLY reason anyone would choose a Ruger over an FA . You get what you pay for!
Well, I wouldn't say that. Freedom Arms has yet to offer a blue revovler. Further, they offer only a cheap looking set of grips on their guns, some kind of plastic laminate. Ruger, unfortunately, has followed suit of late. But FA revolvers lack the clean, smooth lines of a Ruger, unappealing to the eye.

Maybe built a little stronger and to closer tolerances, but no better than I can shoot, I can't tell the difference at the target.

And neither Colt, Uberti, nor Freedom Arms has come up with anything like these, even as a base from which to begin:

Bob Wright
Old February 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #9
smokin54

I own both now, I started out buying Rugers and found they usually need some work to shoot the way i wanted . very durable and enjoy them alot accuracy is reasonable . Then a few years ago i bought a Freedom arms and what a difference , I did not need to do anything to it other than shoot it . I can see a big differnce in accuracy and workmanship . Now is it worth 3x the cost ? only you can make that decision but If i had to sell off revolvers all the rugers would be gone first .
Old February 3, 2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Bob Wright

Quote:
Smokin54:I own both now, I started out buying Rugers and found they usually need some work to shoot the way i wanted
If I may ask, just what did you have to do to make them shoot the way you wanted? Best as I can recall, most of my Rugers are box stock with the exception of cosmetic changes.

Bob Wright
Old February 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #11
shootniron

It sure isn't Taurus.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:23 PM   #12
jmortimer

A Blackhawk with a $125.00 action job is a smoking deal. If I had $$$ to burn, I would go with Freedom Arms.
Old February 3, 2013, 11:26 PM   #13
KMAX

^^? Looking for a place to start an arguement, Shootiniron? How did Taurus get into the mix?

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 4, 2013, 12:41 AM   #14
jason_iowa

Thanks for the advice and opinions. I like to invest in quality stuff but it seems like a Ruger with an action job and a whole lot of practice ammo seems like a better value. Now do I go with the blackhawk or the cowboy lol
Old February 4, 2013, 09:27 AM   #15
jmortimer

I have had new Vaquero and old Vaquero in .45 Colt. The new Vaquero is the perfect size for me and has better tolerances than the old Vaquero. The Old can shoot "Ruger Only" loads and the New is good to 20k psi which is +P but has shorter cylinder so you can't go beyond bullets that weigh 270 to 280 grains. My next gun will be a .45 Colt Blackhawk which is a beast and can take Ruger Only loads and has adjustable sights and comes in at svelte 39 ounces in the 4.62" model.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:14 AM   #16
kcub

I have several old model blackhawks; a 357 flattop, a 41, and a 30 carbine. I also have a 41 with a super blackhawk frame as well as another 44 super blackhawk.

The 30 is by far the most accurate of the lot; as accurate a any revolver I own when I'm the shooter and I own 3 pythons, a k22, and a freedom arms 454 that are as accurate.