The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2006, 10:11 AM   #1
sodflyer

Had a mis fire yesterday

My first one on my .38 special loads.... it was the last one in the revolver and it sounded kinda odd so I went to eject and could not move the wheel. I got home and used a screwdriver to smack the bullet back in the case... I did not tear it apart yet to see what happened to the round but I am thinking that I missed a powder charge on that one...... I can see where I could being that they don't have hardly anything in the case. Jeff.
Old April 3, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

It happens. I've even seen it happen with factory ammo. Get a brass or aluminum 5/16" rod to go in your range box. You don't wanna risk messing up your bore with a screwdriver.

It's easy to prevent if you load on a single stage press. Primed empties go in a bucket on one side of your measure, charged cases go in a loading block on the right. Inspect the cases in the loading block under a bright light before you seat the bullets.

Some of the high end progressives offer a powder checking feature. I ain't a high end guy, and that's all I know about it. The cheaper progressives don't, and checking can be difficult to impossible. If you cannot visually check, you want to be mighty sure that your measure is 100% reliable with the powder you use. With some powders and some charging systems, it's quite possible for a charge to hang up in the drop tube and to be jarred loose by the next charge. That'll give you one shell with no charge and one shell with a double charge.

Ball powders don't hang up, which is a good reason to use them.
Old April 3, 2006, 11:21 AM   #3
Mal H
Staff

"Get a brass or aluminum 5/16" rod to go in your range box. You don't wanna risk messing up your bore with a screwdriver."

Very good advice. All reloaders need one on a just-in-case basis. Hopefully, you'll never need to use it again.

Oh, and BTDT.
Old April 3, 2006, 11:24 AM   #4
caz223

I had exactly one round that went ppfffffffff.
Turns out it was a compressed load of blue dot in a 10mm case.
Shooting in bloody cold weather.
I have since switched to magnum primers for blue dot.
Old April 3, 2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Tom Matiska

Probable missed charge, but "last round" is the first place you'll see hints of possible crimp failure. Stiff loads in a light snubbie can be a pretty good bullet puller, and 4 or 5 bangs can do a number on the last crimp.

Next time you fire those loads, inspect the last one before firing and see if it grew any. You may just need more crimp.
Old April 3, 2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Donaldo

+1 on what leftoverdj said. I use the same strategy. Then again I'm only loading like 50 rifle cases at a time (like 5 or six weeks), not huge volumes.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old April 7, 2006, 07:04 PM   #7
geronimo13

squib load

I loaded my first 100 .223, first reloading also. I ran out of powder (didn't see any around the neck and stopped- pulled the 2 that didn't show powder and added more powder to the container. Before going to the range I decided to use a cheap digital scale and spent 2 minutes measuring the loaded bullets-found 3 that weighed light. Shaking I couldn't hear the powder so I figured I saved myself the agravation of cleaning the barrel. One of my good moments read above "overpressure .223..." for my bad moments.