The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2000, 07:13 AM   #1
JL Hunnicutt

A friend has an H&R 10 ga. sgl. shot in mint conditon that he wants to sell for $100. Is 10ga. ammo difficult to find? I know Wal Mart does not carry it. How about the cost of the ammo? How much more effective is the 10 ga. over the 12 ga? Thank you for your help.
Old December 16, 2000, 12:20 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

H&R makes a classic single shot that lasts for generations and the price is right. I like these a lot,having started with a 16 ga H&R. But....

First, I'd not recommend a 10 for most hunting,and for most hunters. The H&Rs tend to kick, hard. That's due to the light weight and lots of drop in the stock. Also, there's only one or two areas in all of shotgunning where a 10 is a better choice, long range gunning for big waterfowl and turkey. And both in of those areas the advantage is not that great.

Ammo's not that difficult, but it runs on the expensive side. There's no low cost "Game" or Field loads, that would cut your practice costs.

My guess is, your buddy is getting rid of it because it's loosened his fillings and lightened his wallet.

Unless you're an experienced shotgunner with lots of recoil tolerance, I don't think this will be a good choice...