The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 13, 2007, 04:24 AM   #1
Donut

Carry light: Inova X5 or T1?

I happen to have $35 credit at the local "upscale" mall, which might buy me lunch, or I could blow it on something. So I decided I want a "carry" light and the only option is Sport Chalet. Since they dont carry SureFire (the G2 would be my first choice) I think I've narrowed it down to the Inova X5 or T1. They are the same price, $45, so effectively $15 after tax out of my pocket.

Or I could get a Streamlight Scorpion or Inova XO for an extra $10, and put the Brinkmann Maxfire LX in the car.

I basically want one, more powerful light for the nightstand, and then another one for travel carry and occasional pyro duty (needs to be bright, have decent signaling range, and the ability to ruin someone's night vision would be a big plus - you'd be surprised how many folks don't think the danger tape applies to them, especially after dark.)

I'm so confused... Lumens and Lux and Candle Power, OH MY! Why can't Sport Chalet just carry the SureFire G2?

Thanks for shedding some light on the subject.
Oh man, that's a really bad pun. I'm going to bed now.
Old February 20, 2007, 04:06 AM   #2
Phillip

It can be hard to make a decision when the store does not have a test model. It's also difficult since stores are usually too bright to tell what would be the most effective light.
I personally would go with an LED. A 1 watt will fill many of your needs. The X5 would not be on my list. It was fine 5 or 6 years ago when they came out as a general purpose light, but LED's have advanced since then.

This site may help you decide.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...x_led1watt.htm
Old February 20, 2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Syntax360

Between the 2, I would go with the T1. However, the XO would be an easy pick for me. I have the XO and a Surefire G2 - it's a shame they don't carry the line - the surefire is just all-around better than all the lights you listed. The X5's are quite tame compared to the XO - I'd drop the X5 from your list.
Old March 24, 2007, 11:11 PM   #4
Jeffenwulf

If you haven't yet decided, I'd definitely go with the T1. I see that this question was asked quite some time ago, but others may have an interest. I have one on my belt almost all of the time. I've found that lighting is almost comparable to the Inova 2C full sized flashlight. I'd consider buying the X5 for the longer battery life (lower output), but since I've purchased rechargeable batteries, I don't really need to.