The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 14, 2006, 01:09 PM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

O/U Shotgun Advice needed

Fixing to buy a Shotgun primarily for Turkey, Dove, and rabbit. I won't be hunting anything else with it.(probably)

Been thinking about a Stoeger Condor from Remington, and have been getting mixed reviews from the guys at work.

What are the downfalls of a over and under shotgun (if there is any) and what would make them better or worse for what I intend to hunt?

Also, I can pick this gun up ,new, for $399.00. Is this a reasonable price?

Just noticed, I may have posted in the wrong place so Art may want to move it for me please.
Old June 14, 2006, 01:18 PM   #2
mete

A modern 12 ga with interchangable chokes is all you need .While a pump or auto might hold more rounds , if you can't hit it with two it's probably gone by then !!
Old June 14, 2006, 05:01 PM   #3
PinnedAndRecessed

I got a triple, once, when quail hunting. Couldn't have done it with a double barrel or o/u.
Old June 14, 2006, 05:18 PM   #4
gunslinger1911ACP

For turkey, dove, and rabbit, I'd steer you away from a O/U and towards a semi-auto like a Beretta 391. I saw a Stoeger at the NRA convention last year. It's a nice gun. Appears to be a good value. If you are trying to save a few bucks, start with a Remington 870. I used my 870 dove hunting in South Texas last fall. It's a great gun. I've used my 870 and my bro-in-law's 391 for dove as well. I like it very much. My advice....go to your local Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain. Tell the sales guy your price range and then just start holdig the shotguns and se what feels good. Dove and Turkey are very different..as you probably already know. So, the gun should swing well and feel good when you're sitting on your rump calling in toms. That's my $0.02.
Old June 14, 2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Scorch

There is nothing like the pointing and swinging ability of an O/U. I have owned autos, pumps, S/S and O/Us. The biggest drawback to an O/U is the weight. My old citori weighed about 9 lbs, but by the end of the day it was more like 900. Newer Citoris weigh about a pound less, and are better proportioned and stocked.
I have seen the Condor but was unimpressed. Almost the same cost as the Browning Citori but nowhere near the fit and finish. I also do not like the Berettas (wear out fast).
If you can afford it I would recommend a new Citori. The Winchester is basically the same gun. SKB used to make a nice O/U. My brother just picked up a Ruger last year and I am intrigued with the lines and the feel. I have also heard good things about the Browning Cynergy, but am not a fan of the looks.
Go out and handle a bunch of O/U shotguns and pick based on quality of design and workmanship, not price or status brand.
Old June 14, 2006, 09:43 PM   #6
MeekAndMild

I like an O/U in 20 gauge for bird hunting. One major advantage is that the O/U is easier to clean. Shotgun shells can put a lot of deposit in a gun and a gas operated semiauto can jam if you shoot enough. I never cared for adjustable choke, but the old style O/U will give the choice of your 2 favorite fixed chokes.

Back in 'the day' my older relatives used to like side by side guns but I never really cared for the wimpy little forends, not as good of a grip as an O/U.

Ruger is my favorite but the prices have gone up a lot.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old June 15, 2006, 02:31 PM   #7
Wild Bill Bucks

Since the 2 barrels are stacked, do you have to make adjustments in the aim point for the lower barrel? Are both barrels normally two different chokes? Are they tuned, to a certain yardage?
I know these questions seem pretty lame, but I have never done much shotgun hunting, and since my two boys have gotten old enough, and to big to argue with anymore, they are going to make the old man do some hunting with them this year, and I really don't know much about shotguns.
Thanks for the help guys
Old June 15, 2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Scorch

Wild Bill-
The barrels in any double barrel shotgun are supposed to shoot to the same point at 40 yds. All my O/U shotguns overlap patterns at about 40-50 yds, no sight adjustment needed.

That said, I used to have a S/S that shot about 2 feet to the left of point of aim at 40 yds with the right barrel, left was right on.

Even though there is theoretically some distance between the bores, at a certain point the patterns are larger than the center to center distance between the bores.