The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2004, 12:48 PM   #1
9x19mm

870 Express vs. 870 Wingmaster

Hello resident SG experts!,
I seriously consider buying a Rem 870 for HD (minimum barrel length 20'' over here) since, from what I have read after searching this forum, is one of the best pump SGs available.
I understand that the Wingmaster is much more expensive compared to the Express model and I would be grateful if you could enlighten me about the pros and cons of each model.
In particular I would like to ask if is wise to invest on the Wingmaster since -people say- it is more rust-resistant. Also, is it bad that the barrels are not chromed? Almost all european SG models are.
Thanks for any help
Old November 15, 2004, 04:21 PM   #2
grey_pilgrim

Well, i don't think you are going to be getting any real rustproof advantage from getting the wingmaster model, as long as you TAKE CARE of your weapon (which should be the norm in any case). Case in point: i knew someone who left his 870 uncased (but oiled) under his bed for 10 mos, took it out, wiped it down, and shot clays with it. No problems. If you have the wingmaster, you might be less inclined to mistreat it, becasue it will definately look nicer. I wouldn't think about leaving my 11-87 out, which is finished very similarly (maybe slightly better) to the 870 wingmaster. People have shot both kinds of shotguns for decades, and as long as they were well-maintained, they never stopped.

But. . . .

IMO, the only thing you are getting with the wingmaster model is the glossy finish and a higher stock quality, as well as better checkering. The express is cheaper, and most certainly has all sorts of goodies for it (these goodies may be able to go on the wingmaster, too, but i'm not sure) If you are only going to use this weapon for home defense, get the express. If not, then it's up to you how much you want a "good looking" shotgun.

Keep in mind, this is coming from someone who likes good looking shotguns (If they made a lh wingmaster, i would be shooting that instead of my 11-87LH).

Again, this is IMO, as someone who has seen 870 expresses and shotguns finished like a wingmaster. I feel the wingmaster is the classic pump shotgun, but unless you want a shotgun that looks nice , i don't feel there is any reason to justify the extra 300 or so for it. And in addition, from a hd standpoint, a shiny reciever might not be the best thing. ANd you will probably change the barrel and stock.. Things to keep in mind.

People with more experience than me feel free to chime in. . . .
Old November 15, 2004, 04:59 PM   #3
9x19mm

Thanks for the reply, I always take very good care of all my firearms. Perhaps the older 870s were made from better steel quality. Probably I am making this too much for an issue though
Old November 15, 2004, 06:11 PM   #4
sageowl

Agreed with the above reply - if you want to spend extra money for it to look good, go for it. Otherwise, get the 870 Express Magnum. This is very similar to what we carry in our patrol units. I like my personal one just as much. Its a "Remington Security" 870 Express Magnum with 18 1/2" barrel (min 18" in CA for civilian use) and 2-shot mag extender, satin finished with synthetic stock. Of course there's the extra toys that I want to put on it, but haven't yet. Might as well get the Express for that reason alone - spend $300 or so, then spend the extra on toys, like a light, perhaps a folding stock, bandolier, pistol grip(s) ... enjoy
Old November 17, 2004, 10:16 PM   #5
AUG

Don't know if this is the case in Europe but in the states police trade ins are everywhere for about $150 US(about half the price of a new express) and alot of them have 20" bbls. I bought a police trade in wingmaster with the 20" tube last year for $125.

870's rarely wear out so if you can find them over there that might be a good option.
Old November 17, 2004, 11:23 PM   #6
smithyman

I like hearing about this too. I'm hoping to get one as my next gun, and was trying to decide between the two. I went to the local pawn shop, and they had one of each, but they showed me that the wingmaster's previous owner had tried to parkerize the barrel. What do you guys think of this? I thought it looked ugly.
Old November 18, 2004, 09:05 AM   #7
9mmMike

I have purchased all my 870's used. The first one I bought was over 200.00 but since then I've been able to find good used guns for as low as 100.00 and a 16 ga. Wingmaster "receiver only" for 25.00. Each purchase brings down my average price!
The first few were Express models and I like them. I have one pre-Express / non-Wingmaster which was a police trainer (talk about well-worn) that is my favorite gun. I shoot this gun all the time.
My only Evil Black Shotgun is based on the first Express that I ever bought. The Express finish just lends itself to looking meaner with synthetic stocks IMHO. In general though I prefer nice wood on my 870's.
I have had no rust problems with either finish but I use CLP on all my guns. My favorite old 870 has a finish called Metacol III from ARS. This gun was in rough shape when I bought it and it needed refinishing. This stuff is great and you can pretty much handle this gun in any weather and leave it untreated without rust problems. I still wipe it down as I do with all my blued guns but it is not necessary. Good stuff.
Now saying that, I have always wanted a Wingmaster. The only one here at Casa del 9mm is a 16 ga. and it belongs to Mrs. 9mmMike.
I have one on the way that I hope to restore for myself. It should be here by this weekend. This one cost me 100.00 + the FFL fee.
This is my third attempt to get myself a decent Wingmaster so hopefully "third times the charm."
To kind of answer your question, I prefer the early pre-Express, non-Wingmaster models but they are not common around here. These guns just have a really cool working-man look and feel. More like a really nice tool that you got from your grand-dad. It's hard to explain but they just seem like they've had more Old-World attention to detail.
Would I turn down a deal on an Express? Obviously not!
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old December 6, 2004, 07:48 PM   #8
Irishmtnmn2001

New vs. Used

Hi, The 870 Express is a great gun. It does lack some of the refinement of the Wingmaster in the areas of stock quality and finish. For home defense the Express is great, probably better with the matte finish. If you want one to protect the homestead ...........and then pass down to your son/daughter, the Wingmaster is a Classic!
Old December 10, 2004, 11:03 AM   #9
vitesse9

As far as I know, the 870 Express and the 870 Wingmaster are basically the same gun. They both have the same receiver and the same action. They can innerchange barrels etc. The difference -- again as far as I can tell -- is the Wingmaster has a Walnut stock and forend. Express comes with the choice of hardwood or synthetic.

Personally, for home defense, I would go with the 870 Express. They are really a good value for what you get. My personal favorite (the one I've been pinning over) is the 870 Express Deer gun with the improved choke. it meets your requirement of a 20" barrel. And, it has rifle sights, a hardwood stock and a improved choke rather than a cylinder bore. I also want to hunt with my HD gun, so the choke is more of an issue to me. But, I also noted that most of the Remington Police Models also have improved chokes rather than cylinder bores. Just gives you a little more range and a little tighter pattern.

Why spend an extra $300 or $400 on the Wingmaster if you just want a defense SG?
Old December 10, 2004, 08:00 PM   #10
Dfariswheel

Here's the main differences between the Express, the Wingmaster, and the Police:

The Express:
A rougher, unpolished finish inside and out. More burrs.
A rough black finish.
A hardwood or synthetic stock.
Cheaper, impressed checkering.
A black bolt.
A plastic trigger group.
The lockable safety button.
"Possible" a two piece barrel.
The new style magazine assembly with plastic parts and the "dimples".
A rougher bore in the barrel.
Uses some MIM, (moulded steel parts) in critical areas, like the extractor.

The Wingmaster:
A much smoother, polished finish inside and out. No burrs.
A polished blue finish.
Walnut or synthetic stocks with choice of gloss or satin finish.
Better quality checkering.
A chrome plated bolt.
An aluminum trigger group.
The Lockable safety button.
A one piece barrel.
The old style steel magazine assembly, no dimples.
A much smoother bore.
No MIM parts are used in any critical area.

The Police.
A smooth finish inside and out.
A Mil-spec parkerized finish.
Walnut or synthetic stock.
Black bolt.
Aluminum trigger guard
NO lockable safety button.
A one piece barrel.
The old style magazine assembly, no dimples, will take magazine extensions, etc.
A smooth, polished bore.
No MIM parts used.
A heavy-duty magazine spring.
A heavy-duty trigger-sear spring.
POSSIBLY heavier shell releases.
A wide choice in sights, stocks, magazine extensions, and other accessories.

NOTE: I keep hearing that Remington has discontinued the lockable safety button, and I'm not SURE Remington does use heavy-duty shell releases on the Police model.

Also, there is a good chance the Express barrels are made of two pieces: a rear section with the barrel extension and locking recess, with a barrel sleeved into it.
On most newer Express guns I can just make out what appears to be the joint just in front of the chamber area.

Bottom line: There's more (or less) to the Express than JUST the finish and wood.
Although all the Remington guns use the same forged and milled steel receiver, the Express uses some cheaper MIM and plastic parts.
Old December 10, 2004, 10:54 PM   #11
AUG

A lot of what you posted is unconfirmed information. I have seen 870 express models out perform most shotguns on the market for durability and reliability including Benelli and the mossberg.