The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 19, 2002, 03:05 PM   #1
briany

20ga shotgun suggestions for wife...

Hello folks,
I'm trying to get an auto loader for my wife. I know the fir is the most important thing but also the price has to be right. She won't be using this shotgun much, say, about 200-300 rounds per year. I need to stay within $450 range or my wife won't be too happy
Can you please help me out choosing one? Thank you for your time.
briany
P.S. I just bought a lanber for my dad & so far it looks good value for the money. Now i gotta see if it shoots all right.
Old August 19, 2002, 05:39 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A used 1100 should fit into your price range, so should one of the Franchis. Both are very good shotguns.

Off brand autos are like off brand doubles. I tend to shun them, too much unknown.
Old August 19, 2002, 05:56 PM   #3
briany

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if some used rem 1100 comes with rem choke? Or does it cost a lot to have rem choke installed?

I was looking at rem 1100 also but all the used I find around here are fixed modified. Thanks again for your time.
Brian
Old August 19, 2002, 07:59 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hey Briany, modified is a great choke. Use some on the inexpensive loss leader shells and you'll probably actually get improved cylinder results. Purchase a true trap or skeet load and the patterns will tighten up.

Not sure about your specific region, but getting aftermarket chokes installed around here runs about 75 bucks..

BTW, welcome to TFL..
Old August 19, 2002, 08:31 PM   #5
KSFreeman

Why of all the cowinkydinks! I just happen to have a Ber M303 20 ga. for sale. Shocking.

I was going to give it to the Friends of the NRA dinner, but if it's a decent home . . . .