The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old October 1, 2014, 04:00 PM   #1
SpringOWeiler

Selling Reloads in 1 on 1 personal transactions

Are you required to have insurance or a license to sell reloads in small quantities? This would mostly be to friends and references.
Old October 1, 2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Mosin-Marauder

Nope. I've bought reloads from people. Just be aware of their reloading experience.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old October 1, 2014, 04:07 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't have an answer to your question. Personally, I would never even give away my reloads to anyone, friend, reference, or worst enemy. If the recipient should be injured in any way that even might possibly be related to my reloads ... there isn't an insurance policy big enough to cover that.
Old October 1, 2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin-Maruader
Nope. I've bought reloads from people. Just be aware of their reloading experience.
And you know, absolutely without any doubt, that they have neither a license nor insurance? Or did it just not occur to you to ask?

There is a license to manufacture ammunition. I don't know at what point the BATFE deems that one needs a license, but "common sense" suggests that it would be when you start taking money and selling ammunition. Once you take money, you're a business.

As for insurance -- whether or not a license is required, IMHO it would be just plain foolish to be putting your reloads in other people's hands without having a very healthy insurance policy that you know will cover you if one of your reloads takes off a finger or a hand.
Old October 1, 2014, 04:11 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Manufacturing ammo requires licenses, local, state, and federal.

If you want to make some ammo for your buds, invite them over and the two of you make it it together. Should keep you legal.

I wouldn't expand beyond close buddies. No referrels, no informers.
Old October 1, 2014, 04:22 PM   #6
zxcvbob

Required by whom?
Old October 1, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
SpringOWeiler

I'll search the BATF's website for a more through answer. I would suspect it's non applicable by the fact that state laws supersede when products don't cross state borders. A classic requirement of the Interstate commerce agreement.

NO NEED FOR FURTHER REPLYS, I've got enough information.
Old October 3, 2014, 05:03 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringOWeiler
I'll search the BATF's website for a more through answer. I would suspect it's non applicable by the fact that state laws supersede when products don't cross state borders. A classic requirement of the Interstate commerce agreement.

Given the underlined part of that post, I'm not sure you do.

Just because some reloaded ammunition doesn't actually cross a state line doesn't mean that the feds won't try to regulate it, and they may well succeed. You'll likely have to purchase gunpowder, primers, casings and bullets that all traveled in interstate commerce.

From the BATFE website:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATFE
Q: Is a person who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer?

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purpose of livelihood and profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (i) and 923(a), 27 CFR 478.41]
And, from that, pulling the appropriate federal statute:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congress
(a) It shall be unlawful-- . . . .(1) for any person-- . . . .(B) except a licensed importer or licensed manufacturer, to engage in the business of importing or manufacturing ammunition, or in the course of such business, to ship, transport, or receive any ammunition in interstate or foreign commerce;

18 U.S.C.A. § 922 (West)
Now, if you're talking about just selling the ammunition, and not manufacturing it yourself, we may have a different situation. Again, from the BATFE:
Quote:
Is a license required to engage in the business of selling small arms ammunition?

No. A license is not required for a dealer in ammunition only, but a manufacturer or an importer of ammunition must be licensed.

[18 U.S.C. 922 (a)(1)(B)]
Old October 3, 2014, 06:49 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringOWeiler

You're absolutely sure you know everything you need to know?

Are you making the reloads? Is this a side business? So you're sure that ATF won't find you to be engaged in the business of manufacturing ammunition and require that you have an appropriate license?

And are you sure you won't be required by state law to have some kind of license? How about a business license? How about taxes or sales tax?

I've kept this thread closed because you've said you know everything you need to know. Are you sure?
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread