The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
B. Lahey

.32 Silvertips Return!

This should be happy news for fellow Seecamp nerds.

Today I walked into the local funshop to pick up my LWS32 freshly back from factory service and saw a stack of boxes that I nearly couldn't comprehend. There they were... Winchester .32acp Silvertips.

It's been years, and I am happy. I guess the rumors of a production run were true.

Have not fired any yet, but a visual inspection seems to indicate they are up to the very high standards of the new-production Q4255 flat-point .32acp FMJ. I haven't been able to detect any variation or squirrely-looking rounds. A big change from a few years ago when you could well expect several rounds with problems in every box.

Bought 4 boxes, and may have to go back for more. These things have been nearly mythical for so long I don't want to run out again...
Old June 16, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
PSP

Like most other ammo the .32acp WST has been scarce, but that's what I've used lately, and for years for that matter. In my area was one of the few quality rounds I could find... along with Gold Dot.
Old June 16, 2010, 08:08 PM   #3
pythagorean

I use those in my Manurhin .32 ACP. I didn't know they were scarce but then I haven't had to buy more lately.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:11 PM   #4
hhb

Silvertips

I remember one of the problems was when Winchester quit producing the Silvertips recommended by Larry Seecamp, and changed the design, and put the back on the market. The overall length of the new round was longer than the older recommended rounds and caused big problems. The overall length of the cartridge is what determines if it will work in the Seecamp LWS32.
Old June 17, 2010, 04:27 PM   #5
aarondhgraham

An aside about silvertip rounds,,,

A friend of mine wrote a very publishable short novelette in the fantasy genre,,,
One very important plot factor was a character accidentally killing a werewolf with a .32 silver-tip round.

I read his story and found it to be well written indeed.

Imagine his chagrin when I told him the silver in a silvertip bullet,,,
Is really an aluminum alloy with no silver content whatsoever,,,
I thought he was going to break down and cry.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 17, 2010, 05:56 PM   #6
PSP

Quote:
Imagine his chagrin when I told him the silver in a silvertip bullet,,,
Is really an aluminum alloy with no silver content whatsoever,,,
I thought he was going to break down and cry.
Your typical werewolf would probably be unaware of that and proceed to expire anyway.
Old June 17, 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
briandg

Every time I joke about using my ST 9mm rounds because I'm more afraid of werewolves and vampires than zombies, somebody stomps on the joke. I finally quit saying it.

Have any of you guys ever tried reloading for the .32? I realize that you still couldn't get the bullets...