The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 6, 2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Sarge43

Asking advice from those "in the know" on presses

I reloaded years ago with a simple single stage press which I still have. I am looking to get back into it and would like to go with a progressive reloader, but am a little lost in all the brands and options out there today. You guys do this every day and I'm sure have figured out the bugs of it all, so......
If I'm looking to spend $200-$300 on a basic setup, can you recommend one that has a solid reputation and work history? Which options are worth the extra money I would have to invest and which aren't (primer trays, finished round catchers, beefier mounting plates etc). I'm grateful for any help. I will research it to death I'm sure, but want a solid base of names/models with which to start.
Thank you!
Sarge43
Old November 6, 2008, 04:54 PM   #2
rn22723

I would say Dillon will give you quality and a NO BS warranty. The Hornady LNL is an option too, and it is attractive with the bullet deal.
Old November 6, 2008, 05:59 PM   #3
DIXIEDOG

If you are looking to go $200-300 I don't believe you can get a progressive for that. The Hornady LNL is excellent and with the bullet deal it's impossible to beat for value, I've loaded thousands on mine with 1 failure (the primer slide came apart, Hornady sent me 1 for free and I had it in a couple days) I would buy the Hornady again in an instant if something happens to my current one.
Old November 6, 2008, 07:11 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Look at Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, they are all high quality press'es. Well made and will last for several lifetimes. All have great warrenty's

I'm prone to the heavy stuff and have a RCBS A2 and a Texan Turret setting next to it. A couple of Rock Chuckers and a pro 2000 line up the bench.

If you stick with the above you won't have any troubles in getting back to reloading. TF

Last edited by jaguarxk120; November 7, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old November 6, 2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Sarge43

Thanks for the replies, you've given me some ideas to start tracking down.
Sarge
Old November 7, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

I recommend Dillon progressive presses, and "when in doubt buy RCBS".

I own two LEEs, one Co-Ax, one Lyman, and one Dillon.
I have experience with other brands and models.
Old November 7, 2008, 12:37 PM   #7
BigJimP

I think a big consideration in presses these days - is does it have a powder check die in it. Its a big extra security blanket - to know you have no rounds double charged / and no significant undercharges resulting in a squib load.

Hornday, RCBS, Dillon all have options. But in the Dillon lineup - you have to go to the 650 to get that option ( the SDB and the 550 do not have the option ) so I recommend the Dillon 650. Its around $ 500.

You can get by without some of the accessories / and add them later - you don't need a bullet tray or the strong mount on the Dillon or the low powder cap on the powder cannister ... You can get by with one powder measure / just readjust it when you change calibers. Make sure you get a "case gague" to check your loads, good scale, some good new manuals...
Old November 7, 2008, 12:56 PM   #8
crowbeaner

For single stage, RCBS. Simply the best and a lifetime warranty with people who don't ask silly questions and send you what you need free. For progressive, Dillon. Same deal as the RCBS equipment, except they might want some money for the parts.
Old November 7, 2008, 01:50 PM   #9
Don H

Hornady.
Old November 7, 2008, 02:12 PM   #10
sindiesel666

Lee Classic Turret

Without knowing what you're reloading for, it's hard to recommend this kind of stuff.....

I'll go out on a limb and say buy a simple Lee Classic Turret Press. Good for pistol and rifle loading, very inexpensive caliber changes, durable, easy to run either auto or manual index.

And it's definitely in your price range, and you can still crank out pistol ammo quickly, probably close to 200 rounds per hour.

A whole lot of stuff can go wrong on a progressive in a short amount of time if not careful, but on a turret the only thing you really gotta watch out for is double charging when manually indexing...

Good luck!!
Old November 7, 2008, 06:36 PM   #11
jpwilly

Lee Classic Turret Press

While not a progressive the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press is what I use. Changing calibers is easy and cheap unlike many progressives. Dillion is probably the best progressive. I've been there to look at them a number of times in Scottdale AZ.
Old November 7, 2008, 06:51 PM   #12
Shoney

I have both the 550 and the LNL AP. As I have posted many times, the LNL is superior to the 550, you can do a searrch in my name and come up with dozens of reasons why.

Having said that, for a complete setup in your price range, even though it isn't a true progressive, the Lee Classic Turret would be your better choice.

If you want the true progressive, the LNL with the 1000 bullet rebate comes out to be around $200 to $250 after subtracting the cost of the bullets.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old November 8, 2008, 08:20 AM   #13
crazylegs

OK, I'm going to say it. For 217 or so you can get a Load Master set-up with the caliber of your choice. Now everyone's going to poo-poo it but mine runs like a well oiled machine and has since I've had it. Yes, there are some tricks and tweaks to do, but once going, look out. To me, the best reloading machine for the money. I've none of the primer problems or indexing problems the haters are always talking about. If you can spend a bit more time in setting it up, go for it. If not I suggest the Lee classic turret. The Dillons are nice presses, no doubt, with minimum set-up time and an excellent warranty but you pay for it. The Lee's are the best value IMHO.
Crazylegs
Old November 10, 2008, 06:34 PM   #14
aerod1

I agree with crazylegs!
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old November 10, 2008, 07:20 PM   #15
Army GI

If you're just starting out I'd recommend a single stage press either from RCBS or LEE.

Otherwise, it's the Dillon 550B or XL650, HANDS DOWN