The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 15, 2005, 11:28 PM   #26
DonR101395

I've been to blackwater and Suarez International. Both were good, would recommend either, but I believe Blackwater is only teaching LEO and Military right now.

Rimrod,
Go to blackwater and tell those guys none of them have ever fired their weapons in the line of duty and they don't have any expertise in how people react under fire. All you've established here is that you got crappy training or don't know how to utilize the training you received for 20 years. One of the best things I was taught as a youngster was that even if you get crappy training you can take something useful out of it.

added: Would you go try brain surgery after reading the how to book? Read the books then get some quality training. Even a book taught brain surgeon has to have his first patient.
Old November 16, 2005, 04:49 PM   #27
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

If you have suggestions/advice that may help the original poster, please make them. If you have nothing to offer, but prefer bickering, please find another board to do it on.

I don't like to lock threads, but whey they start becoming a "mine is bigger than yours" contest, I will.

Denny
Old November 17, 2005, 09:24 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Be aware that some folks have commented that Front Sight may try to sell you on membership. I don't know that I've heard anything negative about their actual training, but a few have complained about about the "sales pitch".

There is a considerable amount of ego and emotion tied up in this topic for some of those who have attended one class or another. They see any negative comments about "their" training institution as a reduction of what they paid for and what they learned.

From what I've seen on the web, most of what you'll get at any of the better training institutes is fairly similar but the flavor may be a bit different.
Old November 17, 2005, 09:54 PM   #29
American4guns

YEAH! WHAT HE SAID!Training is never a bad thing.No matter what it is your doing or attempting to do.Some will work for you,some will not.But you will know whats what when your done.we hope
Old November 17, 2005, 10:27 PM   #30
eje

Front Sight's 4-day entry level defensive handgun class is an outstanding value if you can find a cheap course certificate; I've seen some being sold for $150.00 and heard of them being sold for less. It's a good launching point for further training, with them if you like their instruction, or with one of the other schools or traveling instructors.
Old November 27, 2005, 06:13 PM   #31
RochPersDef

For the value, go with "Insights Training Center" Their system of shooting and learning is above the best. I have been attending their classes for over four years now in addition to other places and still find that they are the tops. Check out the website at www.insightstraining.com. Look over their schedule for the West coast and the East coast and get to one of their classes. The General Defensive Handgun class is perfect. On the fighting end, there is the Unarmed Self Defense class. You should round out your skills so that you do not have only the firearm to rely on in a situation, learn some unarmed stuff too.