The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 06:13 PM   #1
Sir Loads-A-Lot

Where to place reflex red dot...

I have a Burris reflex red dot mounted on a S&W 617 and a Weigand mount. I have the red dot mounted near the back of the mount, but I have noticed some shooters have them mounted further to the front of the mount. Opinions?
Old October 6, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Rob228

Eye relief doesn't make a difference with a red dot, go with what is comfortable for you.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Pahoo

Superimpose and trust the Dot.

On the average handgun, it makes little difference as the handgun, is extended. Then your concerns are mostly physical accomodations. ....

On a longgun and refering to 1X RedDots, you gain a field advantage by mounting it further from your eye and keeping in mind that you have both eyes open. I recall as few years back when Chief AJ, mounted many way up front and even though they looked odd, they worked great. If I'm disciplined to having a good anchor dcheek weld on a rifle, then I prefer them to be as far foward as I can mount them. There are always exceptions and JMHO. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 6, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Hammerhead

I would place it forward of the barrel/cylinder gap, but well behind the muzzle to help keep the lens clean.
Old October 7, 2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Venom1956

I've always had better luck mounting them as close to me as possible. I gives you a 'larger' field of vision to quickly find the dot. But I can see the others logic as well.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug