The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 5, 2000, 01:42 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Anyone have recommendations on the best stereo hearing protectors and the best place to buy them. My wife had noticed some hearing loss and also gets vertigo with loud noises. Consequently, she has stopped shooting-- can't hear with regular ear plugs and muffs. Can anyone share your experience, brands and best buys?
Thanks,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old December 5, 2000, 02:08 PM   #2
Jim V

Dillon Precision http://www.dillonprecision.com offers a set under their name that look pretty good. They never quite shut off during loud noises. I have a pair of Peltor T-6's that I really like.

Wolf Ears are reported to be very good.
Old December 5, 2000, 03:36 PM   #3
JerryM

Bill,
I have a significant hearing loss, I wear 2 hearing aids at times. I always use double ear protection at the range. When with buddies and using a timer I can't hear the timer. I also have a concern that when I am alone I do not hear a vehicle drive up on me. A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Pro Ears Pro Mag. I got the latest version. Now I can hear the safety on my 1911 as it flicks off and I can hear the timer, all this with double ear protection. Yet the sound of the gun doesn't bother me. I am very pleased with them. I haven't used others so can't relate experience with others. Before I bought these I read a lot of comments. It seemed to be the consensus that the Pro Ears were the best, although there isn't universal agreement on this. I had a friend buy them for me from Brownells. Best, Jerry
Old December 5, 2000, 04:05 PM   #4
VictorLouis

I can recommend the Dillon HP-1 that I am using. They dampen, rather than cut off completely at the appropriate(gunfire) noise level. The volume is individually adjustable for each ear, and they are collapsible for storage.
Old December 7, 2000, 02:42 AM   #5
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
I'm with JerryM on the ProEars ProMag LEs! *Without* the electronics turned on they have a NRR of 28 and with the electronics on... Well, lessay they are awesome! You can almost hear an ant fart and yet even when I'm standing off to the side of my one friend shooting his ported .44mag I don't even get even an `inkling' of `ring' like I used to with my old `passive' `hearmuffs'. The electronics just nicely and gently `compress' the volume and then come right back up. About the only `gripe' I have about mine is that with a couple different rifles with `wild' `montecarloed?' stocks I tend to run into the stock if I `crawl up' on the stock a bit too tight. In both of those cases I just ease off a bit and have no more `problems'. (Dunno just why it happens on those two but then I've also found that when I do `get too tight' my groups seem to go to pieces and when I `loosen up' they come back together. So...??? In those cases it seems to be somewhat of a good thing all around. Better groups and my ears thank me. {GRIN!})

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old December 7, 2000, 08:01 PM   #6
handgunhunting

anyone use the action ears sport? I myself am thinking of getting a set to use when hunting with my handguns
Old December 10, 2000, 06:44 PM   #7
Grayfox

My wife is wanting to get me a set of electronic muffs for Christmas. Can anybody supply links to Wolf Ears or the Pro Ears Pro Mag?
Thanks
Old December 11, 2000, 12:34 AM   #8
JerryM

Here is the Pro Ears site. I contacted Gentex or whatever the Wolf Ears maker is, and they said they didn't make the ear muffs. I don't know where you can get them. You might get a deal from Brownells on the Pro Ears. http://www.pro-ears.com/
Luck, Jerry