The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2009, 02:18 AM   #1
SciFiJim

Lubing your press

I was bored and out of components. I just disassembled, cleaned, and relubed my press. Which raises an interesting question. How often do YOU clean and relube your press?
Old February 15, 2009, 09:17 AM   #2
VaFisher

I do it myself fairly often and use Eezox, it's a cleaner plus lubricating that has passed the salt water test better then the all others. It's dry to the touch after use so it's a natural for reloading presses, it's also a heck of a good cleaner.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:45 AM   #3
Gazzmann

I use a dry lube called Jig-a-loo also cleans,found Wally world, it also works well as a case lube. No more sticky fingers.
Where can we find Eezox? Like to try it.
John
Old February 15, 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
billcarey

I have a turret press and by most standards probably over do cleaning and oiling. Depending on time between reloading, every 500-1000 rounds I remove the turret and other contact wear points and clean them. All get oiled again but the turret base gets a VERY light coat of gun oil...too much oil makes operation stiff. The ram gets wiped clean every few sessions and lubed with oil. I wipe everything else down with a dry rag before and after each session. Sometimes I use simple green to clean the press body but not often because the oil keeps dirt from accumulating.

I've tried all types of oil and teflon type dry lubes but comfortable with oil because I can monitor it better than the dry stuff. For decades I've used CRC 2-26 (light mineral oil) to spray on everything if it's going to sit unused for more than a day or three. It leaves a rust preventive coating that lasts until the next session. I don't shoot much centerfire anymore so my press comes out every few months to batch 500 or so, then it goes back in a box for storage. I've gone to rimfire now so the press isn't in action much.

Hey Gazzmann...are you Eric with the sailboat?

Last edited by billcarey; February 15, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 15, 2009, 10:29 AM   #5
RickV

Quote:
I use a dry lube called Jig-a-loo also cleans,found Wally world, it also works well as a case lube. No more sticky fingers.
Where can we find Eezox? Like to try it.
John
When using as a case lube does it gum up your gun like the sticky stuff does. I use a Lee Pro 1000 and if I use lube I have to tumble the rounds for a few minutes to clean off the lube or else it gums up my semi-autos ejection.
Old February 15, 2009, 10:49 AM   #6
ZeSpectre

I have a single stage but I pull it apart and clean the shaft and shaft hole pretty frequently but my shop is a little dusty. I use a can of MPL spray that I had laying around just so I can use it up.

Last edited by ZeSpectre; February 15, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:08 AM   #7
salvadore

Clean and lube?..ummm I sometimes spray lube on the shaft thingy...You're suppose to clean em?
Old February 15, 2009, 09:14 PM   #8
wncchester

I clean and lube mine every time it needs it. ????
Old February 15, 2009, 11:18 PM   #9
cgaengineer

Hmmm...my Hornady has grease fittings?
Old February 15, 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Sixer

I took a few pics of my Lee Turret press right after I bought it. The previous owner had obviously put it to good use, but didn't spend much time taking care of it...

Before

After a little TLC.. (i.e. 24hrs soaked in CLP and some ScotchBrite pads)

Almost as good as new.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:39 PM   #11
zxcvbob

I put a drop of castor oil on the ram of my Lee Hand Press just about every time I use it (the thing chatters. I wonder if grease would be better?) Also on the posts of my C&H press every once in a while. Haven't lubed any of the other ones yet.
Old February 15, 2009, 11:44 PM   #12
abber

A little Kroil on all the moving parts about 3 or 4 times a year. That seems to keep the old Rock Chucker chuckin...
Old February 16, 2009, 12:09 AM   #13
jdscholer

When I started using Hornady One-Shot case lube (which I love) I began using it for an occasional squirt on the ram and hinge points of my press. Seems to work great and not make a greasy mess. It seems too easy, so I spose I'm screwing up. jd
Old February 16, 2009, 12:13 AM   #14
Crankylove

I clean the dust and assorted crap off whenever it gets bad enough to start binding the press (every 1-2 months?), and throw on a couple drops of sewing machine oil after.
Old February 16, 2009, 07:51 AM   #15
pmeisel

A little WD40 once in awhile....
Old February 16, 2009, 08:28 AM   #16
Gazzmann

Rick V: No it doesn't effect the autos. No build up at all. I guess you could wipe each round with a soft cloth but I have not had to. I end up using the stuff on everything. Product is pretty user friendly.
I found it at Walmart about $5.00 a can. you only need a little.

billcarey: Sorry don't have a sailboat....
Old February 16, 2009, 11:14 AM   #17
SciFiJim

Salvadore - That about where I was at but, I wanted to play with my toys.

Sixer - That is a beautiful restoration. Now its ready for more decades of use.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:02 PM   #18
Sixer

Thanks Jim,

I'm new to reloading so it was a good chance to "get to know" my Lee turret press.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:10 PM   #19
Mike Irwin
Staff

I normally use Dri-Slide on mine.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:19 PM   #20
DBotkin

I wipe mine (old Rock Chucker) down with a rag a couple of times a year. I lubed it last year, first time probably in a decade or so... or maybe not. All I know is, it's been in use since the early 70s and hasn't ever been taken apart. Maybe I'll do that some day and give it a good brush and solvent cleaning.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:15 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

I would guess I clean the ram on my Rock Chucker about every other month, or so. Then I use a heavy oil for lube on all moving parts; and a light oil to cover non-moving parts capable of corroding.
Old February 16, 2009, 08:37 PM   #22
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

On my Lee single stage I just clean the ram and then put a LIGHT coating of grease on it. I then raise and lower it a couple times and wipe off the excess that collects at the frame. Seems to work very well. The grease I use is Bobcat brand grease (we use it to grease all our skidloaders at work....and my Lee press at hme!!!)

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old February 16, 2009, 09:18 PM   #23
sc928porsche

The best lube I have found for my presses is STP! By the time that the lube begins....repeat begins...to loose its lubricating properties, it is time to clean it anyway.
The wear on my presses is almost nill and I have used them for many thousands of rounds over a period of 40 years.
Old February 17, 2009, 05:22 AM   #24
RickV

Quote:
Rick V: No it doesn't effect the autos. No build up at all. I guess you could wipe each round with a soft cloth but I have not had to. I end up using the stuff on everything. Product is pretty user friendly.
I found it at Walmart about $5.00 a can. you only need a little.
Thanks Gazzmann for the reply I will give it a try. Is it in the automotive section or hardware section at Wally World?
Old February 17, 2009, 08:19 PM   #25
Inspector3711

My RCBS single stage I clean periodically (200-300 rounds) with brake cleaner and then spray the ram and joints with Zep Teflon spray oil. Why Zep? Because I got a giant (30 oz I think) can for free!

For my new Lee Pro-1000 I use marine grade teflon grease on the metal to metal points and Zep Teflon on points that have plastic parts like the main gear and the shell sensor. It doesn't seem to get dirty as fast so I'm gestimating a cleaning will occur at 500-700 rounds somewhere.