The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 12:23 PM   #1
REDBULL600

Boy Scouts need ammo

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/art...on-4373031.php

I saw this in my Google+ NRA feed. They claim they need 24,000 and have 1,500. I never thought about this and will check with my boys troop to see if they need any. Hopefully the ammo starts getting stocked up soon.
Old March 22, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2
Nico Testosteros

Boy Scouts need ammo

I thought Boy Scouts were supposed to Be Prepared. :-)
Old March 22, 2013, 01:20 PM   #3
SPEMack618

Said it before and I'll say it again.

The Boy Scouts of America is a corporation. We are operated within a fixed budget every year.

Generally, the Council Executive Board doesn't approve that budget until early February. And then the Scout Executive for the council divides it up amongst the various programs the Council runs.

So, for the guys who work at the camp level, we don't get our summer operation budget, which includes ammo funds, until round about mid-Feb/ early March.
Old March 22, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

Perhaps that corporation could appeal directly to Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi or ATK for some ammo
Old March 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #5
Pahoo

Must be Bush's fault

Last fall, I donated 1500 rounds to Iowa's YHEC. This stands for youth hunter education youth challenge. This ammo shortage is not only having a inpact in scouting and other youth programs but will probably impact our standard hunter ed classes. We are still good on shotshell ammo and as well as M/L components. If we have to, we will put the students on pellet guns. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2013, 07:24 PM   #6
SPEMack618

We're planning on eating the cost in clay targets and just pumping all the kids originally signed up rifle into shotgun and hope for the best.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:40 PM   #7
dakota.potts

I wonder if .17 HMR or even a lesser used .22 (like .22 shorts or longs) would be a viable alternative?
Old March 22, 2013, 07:45 PM   #8
SPEMack618

Has to be, per BSA regs, single shot .22 rimfire, so longs or shorts theoretically could work, but no .17 HMR.
Old March 22, 2013, 07:56 PM   #9
Pahoo

We will see better days

I am active in two conservation groups as well as their shooting programs. I also teach Hunter Ed. for about three midwest states. These groups and volunteers are more than willing to donate materials. There is plenty of desire but that won't buy you any ammo that can't be had. I have no doubt that we will see better days. ....

Hang on and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2013, 07:59 PM   #10
SPEMack618

Yeah, one of those things that at present local councils who aren't in "comfortable" economic areas just have to deal with.

Pushing shotgun, archery, and black powder.

And for the smaller kids, those under 15, we're going to run Rifle until we run out.

And who knows, in the immortal words of Major Floyd Parks, we may get lucky.
Old March 22, 2013, 11:50 PM   #11
Newton24b

wow, im very very low on ammunition and firearms. how do i get a national fundraiser for myself started?

cry me a river, boyscouts is just a corporation. it doesnt really seem to provide much anymore. just like girlscouts.
Old March 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #12
t45

Newton24B, from a father who's son is working on his Eagle Scout, you my sir (I use sir loosely) are a real piece of work. I have chose to keep it clean out of respect for the BoyScouts , you have no idea what your talking about. I think scouting could have taught you a few things.

Last edited by t45; March 23, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 02:33 AM   #13
dakota.potts

Even as somebody who's never had an incredibly positive opinion of the boy scouts (not negative either, just neutral) they're trying to teach young kids the basics of gun safety. You don't think that's important enough to ask people to donate? If one person from each state donated a single 525 round box that would reach their goal.
Old March 24, 2013, 04:49 PM   #14
SPEMack618

Yeah, we're a Corporation. Sorta have to be.

And in regards to us not doing anything, I would kindly direct you to this link.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/rss/scoutsinaction.php

We still provide a lot. And will continue to do just so.

And I wouldn't write off the Girl Scouts just yet, either.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:31 PM   #15
RetiredMajor

The Boy Scouts is an excellent organization. I was a Boy Scout and loved it! But the recent decision to not include gays is a deal breaker for me and many others. Best of luck, but your on your own from my perspective. Live up to your own ideals and include everyone.
Old March 24, 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Pahoo

One bite does not make you a canibal.

This thread is starting to go in the wrong direction especially after this reply, I have no problems with your boys who are still trying to find their way in life. I do have a problem with adult scout leaders who may have a hidden agenda.

Take it back to Ammo and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 24, 2013, 07:07 PM   #17
cgaengineer

Boy Scouts need ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredMajor View Post
The Boy Scouts is an excellent organization. I was a Boy Scout and loved it! But the recent decision to not include gays is a deal breaker for me and many others. Best of luck, but your on your own from my perspective. Live up to your own ideals and include everyone.
They as no problem with gays, it was dont ask don't tell...it wasn't a big deal until someone made a big deal out of it.

I prase the BSA for standing up and not caving to political pressure. They are also a private entity.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:08 PM   #18
cgaengineer

Boy Scouts need ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newton24b View Post
wow, im very very low on ammunition and firearms. how do i get a national fundraiser for myself started?

cry me a river, boyscouts is just a corporation. it doesnt really seem to provide much anymore. just like girlscouts.
Wow...I think I gained a considerable amount of good things from the scouts when I was in them.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #19
Spats McGee
Staff

This thread is about the ammunition needs of the Boy Scouts. Any other policies of the BSA, their corporate structure, tax shelters, or whathaveyou are off-topic.

Please stick to the topic at hand: Boy Scouts need ammo.
Old March 24, 2013, 07:22 PM   #20
SauerGrapes

I'm truely sorry guys. If I had ANY 22 ammo, I'd be glad to give it up.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old March 25, 2013, 06:12 AM   #21
Newton24b

if they were a forward thinking organization that followed there credo of "plan ahead" they would have ammunition. but in this environment of gunstores waiting in line at big box store chains, 3 hours a day everyday just to buy ammunuition to resell at there own stores..... no organization that wants to shoot is going to get sympathy from us poor people who are on 4-6 month backorder lists.
Old March 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #22
SPEMack618

So, half in an excerise of spring clinging to appease my mother, and half out of desire to shut me up, me and Pop cleaned up the basement/hall closet the other night. Which is where a lot of miscellaneous gun stuff winds up. In our cleaning, we stumbled over numerous forgotten how empty bricks of .22 LR, from multiple makers.

That combined with my "zombie stash" of .22 LR adds up to a whopping ~2,000 or so rounds that I'm gonna donate to work.

Pop said we were going to have boys fighting over getting some Eley match stuff versuses CCI hollow points.

My sister said that I should be on Hoarders.

Be prepared. Even when you don't plan to.
Old March 25, 2013, 02:18 PM   #23
shafter

"Be prepared". It would seem to me that the boy scouts at the corporation level should have followed their own motto.

I've engaged in years worth of youth volunteer work. The Boy Scouts has never been and never will be one of them.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:47 PM   #24
Ifishsum

The national BSA organization does not supply ammunition, that is up to the units and the camp organizations that use the ammo. And they do not get the budget to purchase years ahead for something that is usually available at every corner store.

I'm taking a group of scouts on a shooting trip in a couple of weeks myself; we're also trying to find a couple thousand rounds of .22LR before then. If we can't, myself and the other leaders will donate from our own stashes to make sure the boys can shoot. Luckily, most of the leaders in our troop are gunnies.
Old March 25, 2013, 08:52 PM   #25
TAKtical

I also learned a lot from my time in the scouts and really enjoyed it. That being said, its not what it used to be.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia