The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 9, 2010, 11:42 PM   #26
Powderman

I shoot three other guys' reloads. One has been a lifelong friend, and he chucks out mass quantities of .45 ACP.

Another actually runs a custom loading business.

The third one is one I personally taught how to reload.

I have given ammunition to people on the range--but it's ALL been factory ammo. This one gentleman last week was having a bit of trouble with his .308 rifle. I was there for a bit of practice and familiarization. We started talking, and he asked me to check out his rifle. I checked the scope, mounting, squareness of the crosshairs, everything I could. Then, we cleaned the rifle thoroughly.

I went back to my spot, and brought back three rounds. He looked at me and said, "I'm not too sure about shooting reloads." I said, "I understand your caution--but these aren't reloads." He asked what they were, and I told him--three rounds of Gold Medal Match, 175 grain. (He really liked that!)

Bottom line--a load that is safe in YOUR gun might not be safe in someone else's. Conversely, if it's safe in their guns, who can guarantee that they will be safe in yours?

Don't take the chance--be straight forward about it, too.