The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2002, 12:17 PM   #1
Sarge55

Kimber "Series II" Slide Disassembly?

I just posted this in the Semiauto Forum, but thought I might get more responses here. So...

I think I've just about read all the good, and not so good reports on Kimber's Swartz type firing pin safeties on their "Series II" pistols. From what I understand, the rear sight needs to be removed from the slide to access the firing pin block and the firing pin block spring (What was Kimber thinking!?).

Anyway... considering the design of this safety system, is it possible to remove the firing pin and firing pin spring from a "Series II" gun without having to remove the rear sight? How do you clean the firing pin block, firing pin block spring and the channel it rides in, without removing the rear sight? Is there some sort of access hole that you can blast some Gun Scrubber into?

I just can't comprehend the idea of having to send the slide to Kimber once a year or so, to have them detail clean it!

Any ideas/comments?
Old November 20, 2002, 11:21 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I haven't tried it with the Kimber, but this might work.

With the slide out, press up (toward the top of the slide) on the lock, and hold it. Then push the firing pin in and remove the firing pin stop in the normal manner. Then let the firing pin come out, again in the normal manner. Then the lock and spring should come out. The firing pin and the block interlock each other.

This may require a vise, but I think it will work.

Jim
Old November 21, 2002, 07:23 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Like Jim, I haven't tried it either but the method he describes should work. George
Old November 21, 2002, 07:44 PM   #4
LF&Co. MG

I've removed the firing pin without having to remove the rear sight on my Eclipse Target. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it wasn't anything that confounded me. I don't recall it being any harder than a series 80 style Colt. If no one can help you in a day or two e mail me and I'll break mine down and tell you step by step how I did it.