The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 9, 2012, 11:53 PM   #1
jknaup

First .44mag model 629. scope recco....

I've owned a eea windicater 2" .38 special for a few years. It was a good gun in my opinion for a first gun. I got a sig P250 that full frame/subcompact kit in 9mm. It was fun for target shooting.
I traded these in for a new 6" smith and wesson model 629. I was a little apprehensive about getting this caliber of a gun just from all the lore and talk about the "hand cannon".

I must say this gun is great the accuracy is incredible better than my previous to pistols. The recoil isnt anywhere near as bad as i thought i shout 50 240gr magtech softpoints through this gun. at 25yds i manage to pull off a two inch group with this gun. I can say that about the previous two..

I guess the 6" barrel really helps alot with accuracy.

My primary question is for using this gun for deer hunting what is the take on what is better the red dot scopes or the crosshair duplex... what is better or is it just personal prefferance....
Old December 10, 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Mr. Tettnanger

I have the same gun in 8 3/8" barrel.

I have mine topped with a Leupold 2X duplex scope. LOVE it!

I have a Ruger Redhaw 44 mag. with a 4xLeupold. I do not like the 4x nearly as much. For me, it is too much magnification.

I have a red dot on my 22 revolver and for that it is fine, but for hunting with the S&W, I really like the 2x duplex.

Good luck with your search!
Old December 10, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3
Mystro

I carried a UltraDot red dot scope on my old 454Casull and it was the only one that held up to the recoil. I switched back to open sights but Ultra Dot is what you want.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old December 10, 2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

Have a couple scoped revolvers, & several scoped Contenders... as far as scopes, I like my Burris 2-7X better than my Luepold 4X... I have a straight 2X Luepold that works in a hunting situation better than the 4X ( which I now have mounted on a Contender barrel ) I also have a couple of the older tube type dot scopes on several semi autos, & can shoot those both pretty fast, & pretty accurately... the only TV screen type dot I have, I have on an old 22 Revolver, & it doesn't hold zero well... it's a cheapie... if you are going to buy one, especially on the 44 Magnum, I'd recommend a top shelf quality, Burris or other...

as an aside... most of my handgun hunting is now done with fiber optic sights... I have 5 revolvers, that I added fiber optic front sights, & grafted in a Williams fiber optic ghost ring to the rear, as an adjustable sight... the ghost ring, is super fast, & is flanked by a pair of fiber optic dots, so you can still shoot accurately if you need
Old December 10, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
damienph

I also prefer the 2x Leupold. I have one on my Super Blackhawk and have fired hundreds of 300gr XTP handloads through it without any problem whatsoever.

If you don't want to pay for a new one, the M8 models are frequently sold used in the $125-175 range. Great scopes, get one, you won't regret it.
Old December 10, 2012, 11:59 AM   #6
blackamos

+1 for the 2x Leupold. I have been using one for 20 years on a super blackhawk and have never had a problem.
Old December 10, 2012, 12:24 PM   #7
Noreaster

I've been struggling with hunting sights for my Contender. I have a GP100 set up with Williams Fire Sights and it's the best combination I've used. I have had problems with scopes and tight situations with my Contender, I had to pass up on several shots because I couldn't get on target quick enough. I also shoot more accurately under 50 yds with open sights or red dot and I don't need as solid of a rest as I do with an EER scope. I have broken two red dots firing factory 44mag ammo, (Bushnell Trophy & Adco which was rated for 454 casual,) but the red dots were awesome when they worked. Factory iron sights work great for 99% of my hunting but for the last twenty minutes of legal shooting time I need fiber optic or red dot. I believe you can get fiber optic replacement sights for your 629 the hardest part is drilling out the rolling pin hole on the new front sight.
Old December 11, 2012, 03:30 PM   #8
223 shooter

The scope that I used most often on my 629 Classic is also the above mentioned Leupold 2X.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Grant D

+1 For the 2X Leupold scope.
Had one on my 629 8 3/8" Worked great for deer hunting out to 100 yards.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:24 PM   #10
Hook686

I found the Pride Fowler .44 magnum scope to be very well suited to both my S&W 629 and my Desert Eagle .44 magnum. I also used it a couple of times on my Marlin 1894SS.

http://swfa.com/Pride-Fowler-125-4x2...pe-P47280.aspx

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.