The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 8, 2009, 09:26 PM   #26
rem870hunter

the things that happen when i can't login all the time.

i hope all goes well. get yourself a metal ladder type treestand, dicks has them for 60 or 70 bucks 15' tall, and it comes with a safety harness. i got 1 over a month ago. its great.
Old December 8, 2009, 09:36 PM   #27
shortwave

Quote:
I have duck hunted for about 5 years now im pretty good with hunting rules and regs and stuff
[QUOTE]Just went to the spot I scouted pre-season and there were yellow posters EVERYWHERE ... man I didn`t know it was private property this guy went post happy ]

Some states have very stiff penalties for hunting/trespassing without written permission, i.e. 1st offense=`s $500 fine or six mos. in jail.

Rule/Law #1: find out about property your hunting and obtain written permission if its private.

Lavid2000, What state are you in?
Old December 12, 2009, 09:36 AM   #28
cva54

U are NOW addicted! The best thing I can tell you is go out and track them in the off season. Not were U plan to hunt it will spook them. watch them from far way (spotting scope) And remember this! If you dont want to walk,crawl or climb throught it the deer dont want to ether. find exscape roughts and bottle necks food sorce sleeping cover ALWAYS put the wind in your face. Dont fall into the sent game you WILL wast a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ use baking soda I have taken deer with a cig hangen in my mouth, taking a ****, standing at the back of my truck maken coffe on the tail gate with the colman camp stove going. About the only time when I havent is when taking a dump and getten layed thats a bit cold but fun Yes what state Iam in MN? I use a small strap on deer stand and strap on steps and got back pack straps on it and a small back pack it is varry light and unsafe! But like U said 18! Iam in my mid 40's now but still climb up a tree 25 30 feet with no harness set up like a VC sniper and take deer with my bow. Now adays I would rather do that than get layed dont worry your day will come to LOL

Last edited by cva54; December 12, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old December 14, 2009, 08:02 PM   #29
Lavid2002

sorry guys I got banned and couldnt respond. i went out 4 days and got nothing....didnt even SEE anything. A buddy of mine let me borrow a stand and I bought some tree steps : ) I baited a spot with some corn, and since I got nothing I bought my extended season permit for 28 bucks. I have 32 days to kill something : P

Hopefully ill get something.

-DWB
Old December 14, 2009, 08:05 PM   #30
mtnman

I hope he did not fall out of the tree.
Old December 19, 2009, 12:06 AM   #31
Lavid2002

lol nah not falling out yet. Ive been out 5 times, 6 day firearm is over. Moma got me the permit season as an xmas present. I ahve from january 2cnd through the 30th : ) I have like 30 lb of corn out and 6 apples. Ill get one of those motha's!!!
Old December 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #32
uncledewey

Where's the deer?

After gun season the deer have been run pretty hard, they go to cover very early also. I've seen coming out of the fields at about 4:30 to 5:00 AM. I was out all day yesterday in one of favorite spots and did not see anything. I even checked out normally well traveled paths (about 3" of snow) and saw no tracks of any kind. I had two guys driving for me and they never saw a print. So, now is a tough time. Keep going though because you sure won't see any if you don't. Give them a couple weeks, because they are creatures of habit, and they'll return to those habits. Read a lot on the internet, there's alot of good info there. You have snow now, so get out there and find some prints. Read up on stalking, that can be very rewarding. And just because you're 18 doesn't mean your immortal. "Be Safe"
Old December 20, 2009, 06:31 PM   #33
cnimrod

Jersey Permit season

After battling the crowds my first few years in NJ I now do all my Jersey hunting during the permit season. Not that I've ever tested the liberal limits (unlimited in some zones) but I hunt all the way into mid Feb. Still hunting the thick stuff in the snow is great. Good pair of binocs is a must. Hang in there it'll happen.
Old January 6, 2010, 01:55 PM   #34
andrew66

hey, how goes the battle? U seeing anything out there?
Old January 10, 2010, 11:52 PM   #35
semi_problomatic

couple tips....

For a good scent blocker suit, go to army/navy surplus store and get a chemical suit, you can usually get one for 40 or so bucks and they work, also they're already camo so its a double win. Just store them in the garage away from chemicals in a plastic bag when you're done, don't wash or you'll get charcoal all over the place. Remember that your scent comes mainly from your crotch and armpits, not your feet. It floats in the air then settles after you've already moved off. Rubbing yourself with a native plant (IE pine needles or mint) works well, just make sure its not poisen ivy or oak or some other noxious plant. Also smoke works remarkably well, just not cigerette smoke. Also don't smoke or dip in the tree, and take a big gatoraide bottle to **** in.

Baiting... usually illegal, highly immoral...but... Don't put it on trails... wouldn't you be suspicious finding a half eaten apple pie in the middle of your halway? Peanut butter ALWAYS works. But animals have to find it, become comfortable with it, and then come to eat it. They're not going to smell it in a day. Calls work better because they cover more area, but that takes some expertise, not something you'll aquire in a day. But animals are curious creatures and often they will creep up to investigate strange noises. I've watched deer waunder up on some crazy things, even sleeping hunters.

If its in Rut try some of those doe urine/scents. People have done really well tying a rag with 6 or so feet of cord and spraying the scent on that and dragging it behind them to the stand/tree.

DON'T try stalking. You'll be more likely to scare anything away than you would sneaking up on a deer. It'd be like a blind person wearing a leaf suit trying to sneak up on you in walmart. You arn't a woodsman (most people arn't) and you don't know what you're doing (no offense) besides you wouldn't know what to look for and you might end up at best ******* off other hunters or at worst, getting mistaken for a deer and end up shot because someone jumped the gun, didn't see you and shot at your rustling footsteps....

Know the range of your gun. Buckshot isn't exactly a long range round.... Don't shoot unless the deer is 50 or so yards away, if you don't know what 50 yards looks like measure it off before hand and practice judging the distance. Cause if you've never hunted I'm sure you can't follow a blood trail and there's nothing worse than wounding an animal and it suffering for god knows how long before finally dying.

Stay quiet and move slowly. I mean crazy slowly. Scan with your eyes before moving your head. One foot at a time, slightly crouched, one foot in front of the other, balancing and completely putting the weight from one foot down before picking the other foot up. Its slow, painful, and extremely hard to do, but it'll keep you from crashing through the bush and scaring everything away.

Shot placement. Shoot for the vitals. You've seen the deer targets, Aim there. Don't shoot unless you have a clear shot, broadside of the deer to ensure you hit something worth hitting and the deer dies.

Enjoy yourself
Old February 15, 2010, 10:45 AM   #36
Lavid2002

Season has been over for a long time now. I went out about 13 or 14 times. No deer

Ill get em next year : )
Old February 15, 2010, 09:08 PM   #37
andrew66

dont give up. some ppl hunt for a couple years before getting one. just make sure you do your homework and start scouting and looking for other places to hunt for next year.
Old February 15, 2010, 11:46 PM   #38
22-rimfire

There is definitely a learning curve involved with deer hunting. It is not about the gun so much as the deer. Take some hikes this summer in the area you want to hunt and start getting more familiar with the woods and perhaps deer patterns. Look for trails and so forth.
Old February 16, 2010, 08:04 PM   #39
Lavid2002

Ill bait my spot a few weeks b4 the season starts too : ) So I can hunt em before they get scared...
Old February 16, 2010, 10:31 PM   #40
22-rimfire

Baiting is fine if it is legal in your state. Baiting tends to bring in the smaller less savy deer and the more mature bucks wait until it's dark.

Since you are talking NJ, I would look for natural features that funnel deer as they move from the places they feed to the areas they bed down. It is harder when the topography is mostly flat or nearly flat, but the same principles apply. These funnels also tend to be good spots if there are hunters taking part in drives. In flat country, it may to your advantage to buy a deer stand (in the off season as they are cheaper) and perhaps use it to get you up off the ground where you can see better. Deer move differently during different times of the year and yes, hunting pressure causes them to move at night and often bed down in places that are thick (with a view).

Locate food sources. In particular look for oak trees as they will be dropping acorns during hunting season and are a major food source. All oak trees don't bear nuts every year, so you need to be familiar with the food sources in the area.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; February 16, 2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old February 17, 2010, 12:51 AM   #41
Big Bill

Quote:
Season has been over for a long time now. I went out about 13 or 14 times. No deer
Sorry no deer. But wasn't it fun? Just getting out into the open, fresh air is loads of fun. For me, it's also fun to go out into the snow and do some tracking. Identifying tracks and sign is a skill/sport all in itself.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #42
22-rimfire

You can learn a LOT taking walks after there is snow on the ground. You're likely to learn the most used trails, areas with the highest density of deer, and perhaps a better feel for just where they feed, bed down, and so forth. Deer are creatures of habit, just like people. Learn the habits and you find deer. Hunting season obviously affects deer movement, but those old movement patterns are very set in their day to day life, but the big bucks will adjust to hunting pressure.
Old February 22, 2010, 08:50 PM   #43
waterfowler

Just hunt with what you have. As you progress through the years then start picking up things along the way.
Old February 22, 2010, 09:54 PM   #44
crghss

Learn your deer patterns.

For next year see if you can get a doe license so you can get some deer meet in the fridge. If you're short on cash this can get you some return on your money you've invested in hunting. Second, learn the deers escape routes. If you're in a high pressure area then the deer will be pushed and you need to be in their path when they run for cover.

For now when fall rolls around you need to find their pattern. Where they drink water, bed down, feed. Then put yourself in this path. During the times they travel it. Scouting for deer in the fall before deer season was as fun as hunting it's self.
Old February 22, 2010, 10:22 PM   #45
cubesmoothie

All you need to do, is drive on a trafficway on the edge of town with your hibeams on. If its anything like here around kansas city, you can fill your tags in about 2 hours.