The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 21, 2009, 10:40 AM   #26
CraigC

Quote:
Colt didn't start heat treating their steel until after World War II.
What is the source of this information???
Old April 21, 2009, 09:05 PM   #27
Model-P

Quote:
What is the source of this information???
That's what I'd like to know. It is my understanding that the early 1st generations WERE heat treated, but that in the latter part of the 1890s more carbon was added to the steel which improved the hardening characteristics for smokeless loads.

For future reference to anyone reading this, filing the rear sight WILL NOT CHANGE THE ELEVATION of the point of impact one bit! You would still be lining up the top of the front sight with the top of the top strap.

Also, hip shooting does not involve toys. It involves a lot of money, time and practice. If you lack one or more of these three, refrain from discouraging those who are willing to give it a fair try. From what I understand, accurate hip shooting is an attainable goal for one having much patience and resources. I've decided to try working at it because I don't think Elmer Keith was lying when he said as much. There have been many good hip shooters who have proven the naysayers wrong.