The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2014, 09:33 AM   #126
Spats McGee
Staff

Well, I got back to the range yesterday. I worked on accuracy, worked on my draw from concealment, and put about 190 rounds downrange. (An oddball number, I know, but I had bought 400 rounds, 210 of which I shot at my last range trip. That left 190 for yesterdays trip.) I also took the beating of a lifetime at the dueling tree by one of our local SWAT firearms trainers. Not that I ever expected to beat him at the tree, mind you.

So, the current update:
Rounds since last cleaning = 615
Rounds since last failure = 615
Total rounds = ~1015
Total BTF Events = 0

With that, I've concluded that Gretchen will survive just fine on the Spats McGee Low-Maintenance Program, having gone 500+ rounds without any cleaning or a single drop of lube. I'm not going to do any sort of full-blown "10K round torture test" on a pistol that I carry. This has been a fun little experiment, but I think it's time for a good cleaning and lube.
Old September 6, 2014, 10:21 PM   #127
SIMP

Glad to hear the positive update, Spats. Thanks for keeping us all in the loop.
Old September 6, 2014, 11:30 PM   #128
Frank Ettin
Staff

Well done, Spats. But now you have me consumed by guilt for not having taken my Glock 19 for an outing for quite a while.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 9, 2014, 02:17 PM   #129
Captains1911

I had the exact same thing happen to my G19 Gen4 where the slide lock lever and spring just fell out of the gun. I was competing in an IDPA match when it happened, and at the end of the stage when I went to close the slide after showing clear, the entire slide fell off the front of the gun. I purchased the gun earlier this year so it should of had all updated parts. Apparently this probelm is not so uncommon after all.
Old September 9, 2014, 02:59 PM   #130
Spats McGee
Staff

Fortunately, it's a cheap and easy fix. Mine also had all of the "new" parts, so it shouldn't have had a problem. I still haven't gotten around to calling Glock, though.

Frank,
Take her out for a spin. The more I shoot & carry mine, the more I seem to like her.
Old September 9, 2014, 06:19 PM   #131
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
The more I shoot & carry mine, the more I seem to like her.
This is what I like to hear. The pull of the dark side is strong!
Old September 10, 2014, 07:04 AM   #132
CajunBass

Saying you like a Glock is sort of like saying you like a shovel. Not much to like or dislike about them. They work and they work well.

My wife and I had one (G-19) several years ago. Someone offered to trade me a VERY nice, Smith & Wesson Model 29-2 with a 4" barrel for it.

The Glock went away. Just as fast as I could make the trade.

I'm a revolver guy personally, but if I was going to buy a semi, a Glock would work for me just as well as anything else, and probably be less expensive.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 10, 2014, 08:18 AM   #133
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by plouffedaddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
The more I shoot & carry mine, the more I seem to like her.
This is what I like to hear. The pull of the dark side is strong!
I know I had a ton of questions before I bought her, but you did not steer me wrong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass
Saying you like a Glock is sort of like saying you like a shovel. Not much to like or dislike about them. They work and they work well.
But what if I really do like shovels? Seriously, though, I have to disagree with you, but just a little bit. I don't really do "pretty guns," in the traditional sense (high-gloss blue and polished wood). I like guns that are very practical for their purposes, work well and, to be quite honest, are "well-loved." If you could see the guns that I own, you'd see a whole lot of parkerizing, night sights, and well-earned wear. I've had Gretchen for about a year and a half and she's getting some nice holster wear.
Old September 10, 2014, 09:21 AM   #134
NGIB

For years I detested Glocks simply because they looked bad (to me) and didn't feel right in my hand. I have 3 of them now a 21SF, a 30S(my EDC), and a 19. They still feel weird in the hand but they do what they are designed to do very well. The draw to me is mags and accessories are plentiful and cheap...

I'm old, grumpy, and jaded - still vertical though...
Old April 14, 2015, 02:37 PM   #135
Spats McGee
Staff

Spats Comes out of the Closet

Gretchen and I are coming up on our 2-year anniversary. When I first bought her, all I had for her was what came with her. Pistol, 3 magazines, and a speed loader. Since that time, I've acquired 7 more magazines, 4 holsters, and a light. . . She gets way more holster time than any of my other pistols. More than all of them combined, to be honest. If I had to guess, I'd say that she gets the nod for carry about 95% of the time. That will decrease a little with summer coming, but I'm sure she'll still get most of the carry time.

Mrs. McGee and the Little McGee went shopping on Saturday, so I took Gretchen to the range. Seven of my 10 magazines had never been tested, and I had a bad case of Itchy Trigger Finger. I shot about 225 rounds and had 1 FTF. I suspect that the magazine spring is the culprit on that, because it was in a magazine that I bought used off of a guy on Glocktalk. (And yes, I'm going to order new springs and followers for that group of mags soon.) Other than that, she was flawless. That puts me at about 1250 rounds, with some 800 of those being post-spring-failure. She was also accurate. I'm not a great shot, but I am a decent shot. Also, I didn't shoot past about 15 yards. With those qualifiers, I have to say that she put holes where I wanted them, and very consistently.

I guess it's time to come out of the closet and admit it. I love my Glock 19.
Old April 14, 2015, 04:55 PM   #136
Viper99

I hope to never needed but if I ever do, its nice to know it will go bang every time. That's is why I still have my snappy G27. If it ever gets replaced, it will be by a G19.
Old April 15, 2015, 02:09 PM   #137
P5 Guy

Two improvements I'd like on the Glock 19 are to bevel the front of the slide like the G26 and G34 are and to be rid of the 'TARGET TRIGGER' for a smooth faced trigger which I'll be doing shortly.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:32 PM   #138
FlySubCompact

Spats,

If you ever figure out how to shoot with a dangling pinky finger, you may completely slip to darkest pit of the Dark Side and carry a 26.

You could call it Helga.
Old April 15, 2015, 08:37 PM   #139
FlySubCompact

P5,

Amen to the beveled front idea for the other Glocks.
Old April 16, 2015, 06:43 AM   #140
stagpanther

Now that you've warmed to Glocks--try the 10mm--you'll be glad you did. ; )
Old October 2, 2019, 05:34 AM   #141
Spats McGee
Staff

I know this thread is older than dirt, but I thought I'd give it what will probably be its last update. I've had Gretchen for 6 years and run about 2K rounds through her. Obviously, I haven't had 100% reliability, but she's been very, very good. From time to time, I consider selling her, but I never do. As I said in another thread, she runs like a scalded dog. She'll eat any kind of ammo I find, and requires a minimum of maintenance. I know me and I can't sell a gun like that.

Nonetheless, about 6 months ago, I retired Gretchen from regular carry. I unloaded her mags and set her in the safe. I'd bought a Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm in ~2017 and just wasn't carrying her any more. The Shield is just much more comfortable to carry, and I'm OK with 8 rounds and a couple of backup mags most days. I'll keep Gretchen around and take her on trips, but I'm unlikely to put her back into regular carry service.
Old October 2, 2019, 05:56 AM   #142
OhioGuy

I got into shooting when the Gen 4 was new, and never found them to fit my hand. I thought the Gen 5 was a good change.

I *really* like the new 43X and 48 though. They fit my hand beautifully. I can't imagine it'll be too long before they release an MOS version of those since micro red dots are becoming all the rage. I too have mostly moved away from carrying a double stack.

Glad your Glock has been good to you

The Shield is a pretty sweet little gun too.

Give it another year or two and I'll bet 12-15 round single stacks will be the new normal from every manufacturer. Sig spun things up, Springfield is on the wagon now, and it can't be long before everyone else follows suit.
Old October 2, 2019, 07:10 AM   #143
SIMP

Spats, we all wish Gretchen the best in retirement. Glad you're hanging onto the 19 for now. I have one that rarely gets shot but it's such a good gun, can't ever let it go. Stay safe!
Old October 2, 2019, 07:13 AM   #144
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I got into shooting when the Gen 4 was new, and never found them to fit my hand. I thought the Gen 5 was a good change.

I *really* like the new 43X and 48 though. They fit my hand beautifully. I can't imagine it'll be too long before they release an MOS version of those since micro red dots are becoming all the rage. I too have mostly moved away from carrying a double stack.

Glad your Glock has been good to you

The Shield is a pretty sweet little gun too.

Give it another year or two and I'll bet 12-15 round single stacks will be the new normal from every manufacturer. Sig spun things up, Springfield is on the wagon now, and it can't be long before everyone else follows suit.
They're not single stacks though. It's more like a 1.5 stack. If they were single stacks the grips would be very tall.

I don't have large hands, or moreso I have stubby fingers. I still shoot "double" stacks better. I like my P365XL but I shoot the G26 better, from what I can tell in part because it's easier for me to maintain the same position on the grip. For people that don't find that an issue the newer pistols are a no-brainer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 2, 2019, 08:21 AM   #145
pete2

Had my 19 Gen 5 for a little better than a year. Shoots every time just like my 92 FS, LC9 and my DW Commander. If the trigger didn't bite my finger and if the pull was smooth I could like it. I've almost given up on it.
Old October 3, 2019, 02:43 PM   #146
GarandTd

My experience with the Glock 19 was recent and brief, but all the negatives that I had heard didn't seem as bad as they were made out to be and they also seemed like things I could quickly and easily get used to. If I ever get one, it'll have a permanent home. I keep all my guns. They form a record of my journey and I neither dislike nor do I regret any of them.
Old October 3, 2019, 03:49 PM   #147
TailGator

Quote:
I know this thread is older than dirt
So are a lot of us. Thanks for the update. A little surprised you kept moving after the good things you said about the G19. If I was a woman, I would make a joke about that.

Old October 3, 2019, 07:16 PM   #148
Fullclip610

I was exactly like you with glocks. Wanted to hate them but then I acquired 2 g19’s and they are amazing. I’m a minimalist guy with decorations, not having a lot of junk around the house, etc and these go with that perfectly. 1 complaint I wish it was just a little bit smaller. Not a g36 or shield size but just a bit smaller than what it is.
Old October 3, 2019, 08:31 PM   #149
5whiskey

I have never been a glock lover, but I respect them for what they are. I wouldn't feel undergunned if I was issued one. They are, however, made by men and they do fail. As Spats found out, Glock isn't absolutely 100% perfect. No other pistol is either, but many these days are very close (including Glock).

Spats I understand the shift. I got a Kahr CW9 back in the day specifically to be an easily concealed carry piece. I still use her, but duty sized "compacts" OWB under an overshirt have become the norm for me the past few years. My most recent daily carry outside of an M4 on my current deployment was a CZ P07, OWB. Yeah it prints, but not that bad and I've found 99.9% of JQ Public will never notice.

That being said, I have no legal issues were my pistol to print or my shirt slips up and she gets shown off. OC is legal here. I'm not a fan or a believer, but I have no legal issues if my nearly full sized pistol slips out (which honestly rarely happens, but if it does happen I'm not in legal trouble).

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old October 4, 2019, 03:00 PM   #150
amd6547

I like Glocks a lot, but the 19 has never attracted me.
My choice is the G17 and the G26.

Tags
g19 , gen 4 , glock , glock 19 gen 4 , review