The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2011, 02:28 PM   #26
45Gunner

As most everyone else has pointed out, the first place to suspect is the magazine. If the same problem exists using top quality mags such as Wilson Combat or other suitable mags, try a different brand of ammo. Not all guns will eat all brands of ammo. Each manufacturer of ammo may be just a minute fraction off in size than another manufacturer which could effect a FTF problem.
NRA Life Member
Old May 9, 2011, 08:40 AM   #27
fire4606

Well just got off the phone with Sig and they felt like a little lube to the inside of the magzine one the walls would allow the follower to move more freely and think this will cure the issue..

I'm not convinced, i'm going to try it but i'm heading over to Brownells now to pick up a wilson and a cmc mag to give them a try also..
Old May 9, 2011, 08:46 AM   #28
teeroux

Pull the mag springs out, stretch it, and stick it back in. If it runs fine replace the mag springs with new or extra power springs. If not try a new different mag.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:47 AM   #29
scottl

Lube inside a magazine is not the best idea.Dirt and gunk can stick in the lube leading to more woes.One thing you will find if you research magazine troubles is not to lube the follower in any way.
Old May 9, 2011, 09:15 AM   #30
Shooter4Life

I agree with lube in the magazine being a bad idea. It will gum up in short order. Its also a bad idea to stretch your mag spring (IMHO) as this ruins the springs rigidity. If Sig is telling you to lube the mag, then in my mind Sig suspects a mag problem as well and I would suspect that either of the replacement magazines you mentioned will remedy your problem.
Old May 9, 2011, 12:41 PM   #31
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
You are not the only one to have problems with the Sig 1911's. From what I have read in several places, Sig actually had to go back to the drawing board after the first run of their 1911's as they were seriously plagued with problems.
That was awhile ago. Their 1911's run very well now. I'm very happy with mine.

Jason, if I'm looking at the right model, yours is a lightweight Officer's frame? If that's the case, the problem could be technique. Small aluminum frame 1911's pretty much demand a death grip, and anything less can cause your exact problem. I had a lightweight Commander that would fail to chamber the last round every time if I didn't grip it like a .44 Magnum.

I do second the recommendation for using Wilson magazines. The included Sig magazines worked fine for me, but I use the Wilsons with everything by default.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:42 PM   #32
BigJimP

I'm not a big fan of lube in a mag either ....but I think you have a mag issue as well ...

It seems to be a common issue - if the feed lips on the mag spread a little / allowing the last round in the mag to move forward just a little ..and then it bumps the slide stop ...locking the slide back.

1. I would disassemble and clean all of your current mags. I would spray a little bit of lube on a patch /...and wipe the follower and the inside of the mag after they are clean. Make sure the slide stop is clean and lubed properly of course.

2. borrow a Wilson Mag from a buddy and see if it happens with them.

3. let someone else shoot the gun ...make sure you are not bumping the slide stop ...but that seems unlikely ...since its always the last round in the mag.
Old May 9, 2011, 02:22 PM   #33
Twoglocks

Check for cooper marks on the slide stop, maybe this part is too long and is hitting the nose of the bullet; with being last cartridge in the mag it will lock back the slide and pop the cartridge from the lips (least pressure from the spring)
Old May 9, 2011, 03:03 PM   #34
fire4606

The gun is brand new as are the mags, it's done this since the very get go, the majority of the jams being 3 point.

If the feed lips have spread on the mags in under 120 rounds then to me they're trash.

I'm agreeing with you guys on not lubing the inside of the magazine but that's what the guy at Sig told me to do, so i think i will on one and see what it does just so i can say i did it.

Tom,

Correct, it's a "commander" slide/upper on an "officers" frame... I ended up riding around all afternoon after i got done at brownells so i didn't make it to the range. I will be there first thing in the morning so i'll pay more attention to round counts and when i'm on the next to last grip the hell out of it and see what happens..

Picked up a wilson 47d and a spring kit from CMC power plus with follower for the current mags i'll see how these two options work in the morning also..

thanks guys
Old May 9, 2011, 04:34 PM   #35
Coltman 77

Quote:
I'm agreeing with you guys on not lubing the inside of the magazine but that's what the guy at Sig told me to do, so i think i will on one and see what it does just so i can say i did it.
IMO, Do Not lube inside the magazine. The Sig person is blowing smoke...

Call Sig again and insist they email you a call tag, send them the pistol and make them fix it.

Good luck.

PS
Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911's. I love 'em but it's feed ramps, extractors, mags, mag springs, mag lips, etc., etc, with 1911s.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old May 9, 2011, 04:39 PM   #36
BigJimP

Even Wilson Combat had some feed lip issues on their new 10 round 9mm mags for the 1911 a yr or so ago ....they got some bad material or something ...

but the difference / when I started having the problem / but when I called Wilson Combat ...they sent me a bunch of new mags...to replace the bad ones ( last round was moving forward in the mag a little ...) .....
Old May 9, 2011, 04:50 PM   #37
frank hayes

hOW MANY MAGS DO YOU HAVE AND ARE THEY ALL EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM
Old May 9, 2011, 06:03 PM   #38
fire4606

Frank,

Just the two stock mags right now, i picked up a wilson today and a CMC power plus conversion kit that i'm going to put into one of the stock mags.

I'll be shooting them tomorrow to see what happens...
Old May 9, 2011, 07:46 PM   #39
IrvJr

Maybe it's a mag issue. I had last round mag problems and it turns out to be mag related. I switched to using Tripp Research mags or Tripp research magazine follower and spring kits and this eliminated all of the problems that i was experiencing in my 1911.

Also, i have had mixed results using 8-round 1911 mags. I only use 7-rounders now. If you have an Officer's sized frame, you might want to try using 6-round mags. I think the spring tension is iffy with some +1 1911 mags.

Good luck!
Old May 9, 2011, 10:36 PM   #40
Edward429451

I did get my 8 rounders working with the extra power springs, but it is true that the original 7 round Colt Mag that came with my Series 80 is still in use and very reliable.
Old May 10, 2011, 03:41 PM   #41
fire4606

Stock mag after being every so lightly oiled internally as per Sig's recommendation made no difference, still last round FTF's today.

Stock mag with new CMC internals, fed worked 100% today.

Wilson mag fed worked 100% today.

Will put a range report/review up later this evening on the Sig 1911 and my new BHP
Old May 10, 2011, 04:49 PM   #42
Shooter4Life

Congrats! Glad it was a simple fix for you.
Old May 10, 2011, 08:28 PM   #43
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Good to hear the simplest fix was just a magazine change.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 10, 2011, 09:06 PM   #44
fire4606

Fairly simple yes, but i'm not happy with having the issue, i'll contact Sig on Thurs and talk to them.

Call me old fashioned but I still think a new pistol shipped with new mags from the manufacturer should work with said mags.....
Old May 10, 2011, 09:19 PM   #45
Shooter4Life

I agree totally. I'm sure with the right conversation, Sig will send you a mag or two. I would be dissapointed if they did not do at least that.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:32 PM   #46
KyJim

Wilson mags help a number of problem guns feed reliably but sometimes they just mask a problem with the gun. On the other hand, the supplied mags may have been defective. I'm leaning toward defective factory mags. I would definitely contact Sig and see if you can send them back. If they aren't in spec, they should send you new ones. If they are in spec, you've lost nothing but some time and you know not to use the mags.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:53 PM   #47
RockyMtnTactical

Better mags.
Old May 11, 2011, 12:24 PM   #48
BigJimP

Glad you got it fixed ...

and I agree with you / even if you don't like the Sig mags ...they should work 100% ...and I'd be surprised if Sig won't send you a couple of new mags ( but then again, do you really want them ?).
Old January 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #49
Gunn Smithy

I have a newer Sig 1911 SS railed model. It is absolutely perfect in all regards. I did have the exact same issue you are describing with an earlier model of Bersa 380. What I ended up doing was to get some steel tubing the same size as the cartridge. I then cut the tube to cartridge length and then in half. This piece I soldered onto the follower to where the gun thought it had yet another round in the magazine even after shooting the last round. For some reason the mag's liked it, the Gun liked it, and finally I liked it because it made the gun operate at 100%. I did have to do a little filing to get the slide to hold open after the last shot. To this day I do not know if it was a gun design problem or a magazine design problem because these were factory Bersa magazines.

Besides that I had again the very same problem with Desert Eagle magazines. The thing there was that the magazines were made by Pro Mag. Fix to that problem was to throw away the Pro Mags and use Desert Eagle mags. Wish you the best of luck and Sig should make it good since you're using all of their products. Smithy.
Old January 15, 2013, 10:08 PM   #50
Hawken1911

I have a compact Sig 1911 that had similar issues during my first range session, which came after a proper cleaning. I bought a couple Wilson Combat magazines, which I planned to do anyway, and it has run 100% with them. It is probably just a magazine issue.