The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 27, 2011, 12:44 AM   #1
ripnbst

People shooting your targets at range

Let me paint the backdrop here first. The range I go to is public on state game lands with no Range Officer kind of in the boonies. A few Sundays ago my wife and I were at the range and had it to ourselves when we got there. Highly unusual at this range for a pleasant Sunday afternoon, it was looking like a nice afternoon together.

I walk 100 yds to the berm and setup 3 of my targets (paper stapled to plywood). On the walk back I setup a Realtor sign with various targets attached, pop can, gatorade bottle, etc. on the far left side of the range where we are. Over the course of the next 20 minutes my wife and I shoot the handgun targets and we switch over to shoot the rifle targets I have setup at the berm. My wife starts to shoot the rifle target upper left, I am spotting and giving pointers etc. Pleasant day at the range.

During this time a group of probably 6-8 younger folks (18-25) who I am not sure are in the country legally come in carrying typical range gear handguns, rifles, ammo, etc. They all setup their stuff and as I am reloading my rifle to take shots at my target they proceed to load all their guns. I start to shoot my upper right target and at the same time they all start unloading everything they brought into MY TARGETS! They had a .22/.17 rifle, shotgun, larger caliber rifle, at least a couple semi-auto handguns, and the same # of revolvers. ALL BEING FIRED AT MY TARGETS AT THE SAME TIME! I mean they didn't even bring targets, at least they didn't attempt to set anything up. I don't know what they planned on shooting if my targets weren't down there. It was like they did that last fun rapid fire drill groups of people do on their last mags before they leave.

I stopped firing and glared over and they were all just laughing and carrying on. I was irate to say the least. My wife could tell I was jacked. I just packed up all our stuff and we left because the damage was done. We were going to leave in a few minutes anyway but I wanted to put some rounds on target and walk down and grab them then leave. After those clowns got there I wasn't about to walk down range. I could have said something to them, and I know I should have, but I was so angry I don't know I wouldn't have said some things that a man with a cool head wouldn't so I just left.

So yes TFL, the classic, What would you have done?
Old March 27, 2011, 12:55 AM   #2
kinggabby

I personally would have done the same and left not saying anything. Too many people armed .. my .02
Old March 27, 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Steel Talon

Myself if the frames were mine I'd of said i needed to go down range, retrieve my gear. And as I was leaving I would of politely said thats its customary to bring your own targets to shoot.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:33 AM   #4
ripnbst

Steel, the other stuff down there wasnt mine it was either left by someone previously or is provided. All I had down there was 3 paper targets and the wood staples holding them in.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:41 AM   #5
Bamashooter

I would have to say something. You put in all the work to set up your targets and they come along and start shooting them. Nope, I would have said something.
Old March 27, 2011, 01:57 AM   #6
HiBC

I can appreciate your heartburn.Shooting your targets was totally rude and offensive.I also do not chalk it up to "They didn't know any better" They stepped on you and they knew it.
The thing is,a grownup has to decide"Is this worth killing or dying over?"
Under the circumstances,that was a possibility.
You made the choice that took the best care of the safety of your wife,and your wifes husband.I believe you made the best choice.
If you have a friendly relationship with local law enforcement,it may have been OK to advise them of the situation.No telling what a routine check might turn up.
Then,a fellow might watch an old spaghetti western where Squint Eastwood says"Now,if you boys will just appologize to my mule,like I know you will...."
Old March 27, 2011, 02:00 AM   #7
NESHOOTER

There are jerks everywhere and
Quote:
During this time a group of probably 6-8 younger folks (18-25) who I am not sure are in the country legally
not being said just how would you know if they were from this country or not, as you stated the only things you said belonged to to you was the targets on the berm ....how did they know for sure these were not left behind by someone else, and you were shooting at the other targets you hung. I shoot at a private range and even the english speaking dudes also I have let go down to put there targets up and what do they do....? put their target over mine.... I tell you CLASS is hard to come by nowadays people just think of themselves... and yes it my .02......
Old March 27, 2011, 10:14 AM   #8
dodge

A thing like that happened to me last summer. I had set up poster board size targets at 200 yards and 300 yards to see where my varmint rifle was hitting at that range. There was people at the pistol range when I got there but that range is a good 100 yards away on another side of a windrow. When they got done shooting pistol they came over to the rifle range where I was shooting, setup with an AR and proceeded to start shooting at my targets at the 300 yard range when I saw extra holes in my target I asked them what they was shooting at. They replied that they was shooting at the target at 300 yards. At that time I told them that was my target and I was trying to see where my rifle was shooting at that range. He quit shooting at my target and proceeded to just shoot into the berm. All he wanted to do was relieve some stress form the week. If this person had just asked if they was my targets after seeing that I had a varmint rifle on the bench it would have saved some hard feelings on my part. Sometimes there seems to be no common curtsy anymore.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:19 AM   #9
SPUSCG

Never had a problem
Old March 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #10
buck460XVR

Quote:
Myself if the frames were mine I'd of said i needed to go down range, retrieve my gear. And as I was leaving I would of politely said thats its customary to bring your own targets to shoot
This....and it is also customary to pick up your trash/used targets/realtor signs when you leave. In many cases, on public land, leaving it behind is considered littering. One thing that's bothers me as much as others using my targets uninvited is those that leave their trash and busted targets behind. The other shooters were probably used to shooting whatever was left behind by others. You coulda shown them what responsible shooters do when done shooting as well as politely advised them to either bring their own next time or at least ask before using others. I doubt if this woulda created a shootout, and may have created a better experience for all in the future.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:34 AM   #11
Mr. Wild

I belong to a members only range, and never had this problem.
Common courtesy I believe its called in some places.
But some people just don't give a darn for others.
Old March 27, 2011, 10:41 AM   #12
Dr. Strangelove

I joined a private club because of instances like these, and far worse, on the public ranges here in GA.

I would have simply offered them a target or two, saying "those downrange are mine, if you need a target or two, you're welcome to these."
Old March 27, 2011, 10:43 AM   #13
jeepster11

yep

i think you did the right thing i had something happen at one of the ranges i go to . about two weeks ago i was there with a few friends teaching them how to shoot. we started off with pistols and move to the rifle range after when we got to the rifle range there wasnt anyone there so we set up our stuff and start shooting. when some guy and his son come up start getting their stuff ready and without clearing the line he just gets ready to run out there and set up his target. so i grabbed my rifles from my friends and cleared them and told the guy go ahead and set up your targets. so he does and then he starts shooting and about every ten rounds he atempts to run straight out in front of us without calling for a cease fire. i finally had enough and we packed up and i went in and told the owner which i know and he had one of the range offficers go and currect their actions. some people are a few fries short of a happy meal
Old March 27, 2011, 11:01 AM   #14
Mr. Wild

QUOTE:
i think you did the right thing i had something happen at one of the ranges i go to . about two weeks ago i was there with a few friends teaching them how to shoot. we started off with pistols and move to the rifle range after when we got to the rifle range there wasnt anyone there so we set up our stuff and start shooting. when some guy and his son come up start getting their stuff ready and without clearing the line he just gets ready to run out there and set up his target. so i grabbed my rifles from my friends and cleared them and told the guy go ahead and set up your targets. so he does and then he starts shooting and about every ten rounds he atempts to run straight out in front of us without calling for a cease fire.

That is the only problem I've had at our range.
People going down range without telling anyone.
Scary stuff.

Just last week I was at the range and another guy I knew was there.
He is 60ish, an ex-marine, works on guns, and is a regular shooter at the range, a really nice guy.
He was sighting in an AR scope for someone, I was shooting a 45 lc.
There is a 5ft tall berm seperating the pistol from the rifle back stops.
I had already fired several rounds and reloaded and was ready to fire again.
When I saw this guy out of the corner of my eye walk down range to check his target.
He hadn't said a word, just walked down range.

At our range you let everyone know you're going down range for safety, no exceptions.
It supprised and scared the hell out of me when I saw this, the guy knows better than to do this.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:15 AM   #15
armoredman

I have offered and set up targets for people who didn't have any. I use the cheap print-yer-own ones, keep plenty of tape and a staple gun in the range bag. I haven't had anyone shoot my targets yet, but if it happens, I will assess the situation and attempt to handle it as circumstances dictate.
Old March 27, 2011, 11:45 AM   #16
Blackshirts

Disregarding the whether or not I thought they were possible "bad guys", I would have left anyway. I do not want to be around(especially with my family) a bunch of young guys whose first act at the range is a barrage of bullets. I would not trust their appreciation for safety more than whether or not they will start trouble if confronted.

Fortunately the outdoor Game and Fish ranges in my area(Rio Salado Sportsmans Club and Ben Avery Shooting Range) are well run and setup that these issues do not happen.
Old March 27, 2011, 12:05 PM   #17
geetarman

Blackshirts,

+++++++10 on Rio Salado.

Great place to shoot and be safe.

Geetarman
Old March 27, 2011, 02:00 PM   #18
MLeake

Not enough information, really

Whether I'd talk to them would depend on a lot of aspects of their demeanor, which I really can't gauge from the OP.

18-25 year olds, carrying on and making noise is not exactly atypical behavior. Being hispanic is not in itself a gang affiliation.

As far as the targets went, I have been to a few public ranges where it was not uncommon to find targets that people left on the range when they departed. Common courtesy would be to ask the people nearby if any targets might be theirs, but common courtesy isn't as common as we'd all like it to be.

But I haven't seen too many people shoot other people's targets by design.

The normal faux pas I've seen at public ranges is for one or two couples to set up targets on a whole bunch of lanes, because they were the only ones there when they first arrived, but then expect to keep all those lanes when other shooters come to the range. That gets extremely annoying, very fast.

Which all goes back to why I avoid public ranges like the plague.

But, I would normally opt to try to talk to the people involved, in as friendly a manner as feasible for the scenario, unless I had strong reason to suspect that would be a bad idea. I've encountered a lot more clueless people than I have evil ones.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Rifleman1776

You did the right thing. They were obvious jerks and suspect criminals and they were armed. Saying something to them would only create a confrontation and possible physical assualt. Sorry, sometimes just sucking it up and walking away is the best option.
Too bad an otherwise enjoyable day was ruined.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:37 PM   #20
retiredcoasty

You did the right thing by leaving. In my opinion, ‘evil’ won, but you and your wife walked away without any extra holes and you were not leaking blood. Someday these thugs will run into someone that will stand up to them. And when that happens, the cost will be great.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:40 PM   #21
goodspeed(TPF)

What bothers me is when people at our local range think they can place targets in 3 or 4 lanes and take over half the range all by themselves.

Quote:
who I am not sure are in the country legally
Hmmmmm.........

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old March 27, 2011, 02:45 PM   #22
Lavid2002

Why didn't you ask them to stop shooting your targets?

Is this that big of a deal?

If they didn't have anything to shoot give them some targets. They're cheap.
Old March 27, 2011, 02:47 PM   #23
Dr. Strangelove

I wasn't there, of course, but I'll have to say that more than likely these folks had no "evil" intentions and weren't "thugs" as much as they were just clueless as to range etiquette. Not everyone has the benefit of being raised around firearms or having served in the military.

Even at my private club, I've seen a few times when someone shot the wrong target.

Also, being young and a different race, doesn't make someone inherently unsafe or a bad person, nor does shooting a in a different style or with a gun you may personally not like.

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; March 27, 2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:07 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

With my wife with me, I would have done the same thing. Maybe talked to a local LE about something along the line of intimidation. It might have been investigated, and who knows? Maybe LE could have scored. Alone, I'm afraid I'd have said something to them. This kind of attitude is running rampant today and left unchecked, it simply becomes worse.
Old March 27, 2011, 03:20 PM   #25
22-rimfire

Hey boys, how about putting up a couple targets for me when you walk up to the target area?