The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 09:23 PM   #76
chilie23

Quote:
According to the specification that you listed:

Reliablity/Dependability
Size/Weight and ease of concealment
Accuracy
Stopping power/Effectivness
Functionality
In hand comfort
and Manageablity of its recoil

It doesn't get any better then this: (observe post 54 by Aqeous)

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=291724&page=3

It comes in 9mm and .40 S&W.

Link To Berreta PX4 Storm Sub compact: http://www.berettausa.com/product/sp...subcompact.cfm
Ignore this post if you intend to have this BUG anytime soon, these have not been released and Beretta is noncommital in a release date.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:33 AM   #77
glockman19

Quote:
Backup gun to me = J frame with 38+P. Like it was made for the job.
I use a S&W 442 or 642.
Old May 18, 2008, 12:42 AM   #78
frogger42

I currently own a Ruger LCP and I have previously owned a Guardian 32 and a Kel-Tec P32. I can tell you that in my opinion, the LCP is miles ahead of either. I love mine, and I did not have to wait very long for one. I just got a list of all the gun shops within an hour drive of me and called them every day on my lunch hour until I found one that had just gotten one in. Then, I drove straight over and picked it up. I got a second one by lucking into it at a gun show and gave that one to my wife. I've never fired the a P3AT, but since it is just a larger P32, I'd have to assume I'd feel the same about it if I shot it. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:17 AM   #79
Socrates

By the way, Kangaroo carry comes with an extension, designed to be worn over a vest, if you order it. Since I also have a very good vest, I got the extension so I can wear the holster over my vest, and, it's still well concealed, but requires a slightly baggy shirt.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:45 AM   #80
abraxian

s&w 642

don't know why anyone would gamble on a .380 as backup....I carry a 642 hammerless with hand loaded (6gr Unique and 125 gr Gold Dot bullets)
Old May 18, 2008, 11:20 AM   #81
wpd8918

frogger42, like i mentioned before i have fired my friends walther ppk and hated it. it was very unpleasant to shoot. it "bit" the webbing of my hand and the recoil made my palm sore after a spell. how were the guardian 32 and lcp when it comes to this issue?
Old May 20, 2008, 05:42 AM   #82
maddison08

Bersa

Take a look at a Bersa .390 acp. I know your problem I was there one time as well.
Old May 20, 2008, 07:46 AM   #83
maddison08

speed six

Another good choice if you can find you a ruger speed six very nice i have one and carry it about 35% of the time.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:37 AM   #84
nemoaz

Guys, he has a G27 and wants something smaller for pocket carry. A Bersa, Storm, or Speed Six don't fit the bill.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:49 AM   #85
18DAI

From your list, I'd choose the Ruger LCP.

I'm a Detective, and chose the Colt Cobra 38 revolver. 15.5 ounces and carries very nicely in an Uncle Mikes ankle holster. I'm 6'1", 235. I've no problem concealing the revolver. It gives me one additional round on tap over a J-frame.

Good luck with your decision, and stay safe! Regards 18DAI.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:34 PM   #86
maddison08

hi

Bersa makes a concealed carry version.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:44 PM   #87
snevensmores

I'm partial to the 9mm cartridge, especially considering the price of ammo these days. I know a lot of LEOs in my area favor Smith .38sp snubbies. I saw one purchase a nice hammerless (snagless) Smith airweight .38sp that might be worth a look.

I have no experience with .380s, but I know that a lot of people depend on them.

GO CARDS!
Old May 20, 2008, 02:38 PM   #88
honkylips

I'd give another recommendation for a J frame. They are dead on reliable, easy to conceal, and friendly to fire.

***SHAMELESS PLUG*** ........I just happen to have one for sale if you're interested PM me if you are. It has 100 rounds through it. $550 shipped to your FFL.
Old May 20, 2008, 09:53 PM   #89
lockedcj7

I'm not a LEO so my requirements for a CCW are a little different. I carry a G23 when weather and clothing allows and a 637 J-frame when it doesn't.

Having said that, the SC State Troopers carry the G22. They are also issued the 642 J-frame for B.U./off duty. Our local Sheriff thinks this is a sound choice so he does the same for our deputies. I don't know if ankle carry is mandatory for the BUG but I know many of them carry it that way.
Old May 20, 2008, 10:50 PM   #90
maddison08

our guys

Our guys carry sig 226's and for back up smith 38.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:35 PM   #91
FLA2760

There is MUCH to be said for a J frame revolver as a last ditch BUG. The Bodyguard/Centenials are key here. These can be fired from inside a pocket if need be. Think of rolling around on the ground with a subject and having to jam the snubby into his body and fire. A semi auto pistol will most likely not have sufficient room for the slide to cycle in this scenario and become a one shot. Limpwristing (a real possibility in a case like this) can result in FTF with a pistol. A revolver will fire regardless of your grip angle. When it has gotten down to the BUG it needs to go BANG more than once. Carrying your BUG weakside is recommended.

Here is a good resource for snubby information.

http://www.snubnose.info/
Old May 21, 2008, 12:43 AM   #92
guntotin_fool

THe S&W j frame has 100 years as history as a proven weapon. for some they are darn near perfect.,

I will not trust any gun that shots less than a 9mm/.38 spc for self defense.

That really leaves the one choice I have made, the Rohrbaugh. http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/product/prod_set.html

SUre its not cheap, BUT buddy, if you ever get the point where you need to draw your BUG< the absolute last thing you will thing is "gee this thing cost me a lot of money, I better take good care of it". your thoughts will be," I got the best tool to try and save my life. "

This is why for a long time, the best gun a man could carry was often his BUG. Look at the money FBI"s and Secret Service guys used to spend on their ASP's and Detronics and Fitch's specials and cut down Hi Powers.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:39 AM   #93
wpd8918

2 choices...

Ok so here are the two deals ive been offered by two different shops...

Seecamp 32: $425 plus tax, waiting period of 90 to 180 days

or

NAA Guardian 32: $402 out the door, waiting period of a couple of months or so

opinions?
Old May 22, 2008, 10:58 AM   #94
bikerbill

that's a long time to wait ... I personally carry a PM9 and love shooting it ... bet the wait's shorter, tho the price will be higher ... if you really want sticker shock, price a Rohrbaugh ... beautiful guns, but $1,000+?
Old May 22, 2008, 11:22 AM   #95
Van55

Quote:
Ok so here are the two deals ive been offered by two different shops...

Seecamp 32: $425 plus tax, waiting period of 90 to 180 days

or

NAA Guardian 32: $402 out the door, waiting period of a couple of months or so

opinions?
Personally, I would rather have the slightly greater firepower of the Ruger LCP .380 for $330 (MSRP) or less. Less waiting time, too (probably).
Old May 25, 2008, 05:55 PM   #96
nemoaz

saw these on another thread. You can carry your G27 or smaller weapon on your gunbelt with this http://www.desantisholster.com/n15.html
smaller guns can use this http://www.desantisholster.com/n65.html http://www.desantisholster.com/n30.html http://www.desantisholster.com/r72.html or the mufti on this page http://www.palehorseholsters.com/pocket.htm

Good luck.
Old May 25, 2008, 10:37 PM   #97
The Canuck

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this pretty bad, but for a deep cover gun, get something that looks illegal. Find a pawn shop and pick up an older snubby revolver that looks a little beat up. Take it to a good gunsmith you can trust and have him do any work neccessary without changing the gun's worn and used appearance. That way if you need to use it or it is found during a meet, it won't raise any suspicion, or at least not as much as if you went in there with a new top of the line compact auto-loader. Be sure to practice with that revolver to the point where you could pass qualification with it. If you're a newer LEO, hit up the old timers and just conversationally get them to tell you about the finer points of shooting a wheelgun (just to save some time). If you're going undercover (as opposed to plainclothes), be sure to not tip them off. Loose lips sink ships, eh?

As for a BUG, select a compact that uses the same ammo as your service pistol and can accept mags from it. The G27 you mentioned can do this and is an effective BUG. My reasoning is that this will prevent any mix-up in ammo and it will still allow you to use the rest of your ammo with a minimal amount of disruption. However, be sure to train transitions from service pistol to BUG and it's reloading with your service pistol's magazines.

I feel that you're gonna have to seperate BUG from Deep Cover on this.
Old May 26, 2008, 07:48 PM   #98
cocojo

Either a S&W 442 or 642 in an ankle rig will due, I just don't like the locks and mim parts. I prefer my older pre 72 Colts six shots and no locks or MIM, quality built guns. I carry a 1956 Colt Agent in and ankle rig with T adapted. My 1967 Colt Cobra in Bernes Blackhawk holster. I just retired in July 07 after 30 years and always carried a backup. I qualify with my Colts on a department auto pistol course with no problem. I carried a Glock 22 and my Colt Agent while on duty.
Old January 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #99
lync39

First post

Did 20 years and out of LE! Mod 36 w rubber grip elastic waistband holster under a t shirt in the summer and still concealable.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:19 PM   #100
chris in va

Quote:
May 26, 2008 07:48 PM
Welcome to the board.

Please understand though, this is a 4 year old thread or 'necro' as it's termed.
Closed Thread