The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 13, 2009, 10:06 AM   #1
ccw08

Good Reloading Setup For Beginner?

I am wanting to start reloading for handguns, I have 2 Dillon Square Deal B's that I got about a year ago. I have never used them but am wanting to start. They are set up for 45 acp and 38 spc., I have read the manual and I get the general idea but are they really that good for a beginner or do I need to start on a single stage press?

I got the 2 loaders, 3 pounds of Winchester 231, 5k large pistol primers, 5k small pistol primers, 2000 38 spc. brass, 2000 45acp brass, 1200 38 spc. SWC, 1800 45 acp RN lead, and all the stuff needed to reload for 350 bucks from a friend.
Old September 13, 2009, 10:22 AM   #2
dmazur

Sounds like you got a really good deal, for pistol reloading.

IMO, there's nothing wrong with learning to reload on a progressive.

There may be a few fussy adjustments associated with the press operation that aren't present with a single stage, and this can lead to frustration. As long as you're patient, and have good mfgr support (Dillon's is legendary), you should be fine.

And, of course, the progressive can be used to watch a single round travel through the stations while you are learning. This lets you observe one thing at a time and helps build confidence. (By this I mean let the press index a single round from deprime/resize/reprime to powder drop, bullet seat and crimp stations, THEN insert another case at station 1...)

I know the 550B has case-actuated powder drop, and I believe the SQD has this feature as well. This prevents powder drop unless a case is present at that station, which happens at the beginning and end of a normal "run" of progressive operation. This powder drop feature will permit modified operation of the press, as described above, while you're learning.

To develop good habits, I would do the exact same motion required of the handle for normal progressive operation, even if you aren't repriming. The phantom insertion of a primer into a missing case won't hurt anything.

When you're sure everything is working exactly as it should, the next step is to keep feeding brass to station 1 as you pull the handle and index...
Old September 13, 2009, 10:31 AM   #3
ccw08

Thanks for the quick reply.

I do have to call Dillon, when I got them I read the manual and I checked them over extensively to make sure nothing was broken or missing, on the one set up for 45 acp the primer seat pin is broken. The part is cheap so no problems there but I see they have a " spare parts kit " and a " cleaning and maintenance kit " for 30 bucks so I will probably got that route because it contains the part I need as well as many others that will wear out and I could use the cleaning and lube kit to make sure it is good to go before I start reloading.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Farmland

Everything on your presses have a lifetime warranty. Either call them or send an email for a free replacement.

The cleaning kit is NOT needed, trust me I am a BIB BLUE FAN but it simple is not needed. The repair kit is nice but everything they send in it is covered by a free replacement. The only thing nice about having this kit is that you don't have any down time waiting for the free replacement part.

You will have a nice set up and after you learn how to set them up you can rock and roll at a nice pace. These were built for doing reloading handguns and they are simple to work. It might take you a few times to work out the adjustments but you will be fine.
Old September 13, 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
dmazur

One more thing -

I'm not sure what the SQD uses for primer tubes, but I imagine they are similar to the 550B, so I'll describe those...

The design includes plastic "fingers" at the bottom end of the tube. These are color-coded for large vs small primers. As you have two different SQD's, you are indeed fortunate. You can set one up for large primers and the other for small and completely avoid the hassles of swapping the primer tubes and the primer slides.

In the maintenance/repair kits, Dillon supplies replacement plastic fingers. You have to use the correct color for lg / sm or it won't work!

Similar fingers (different colors) are used for the primer pick-up tubes. Same thing, one color for large, another for small.

From what I've read, there are quite a few folks out there who have managed to get into primer feed problems by using small primers in a "large primer setup"...
Old September 13, 2009, 11:45 AM   #6
Jim243

Actually you got an excelent deal. What you failed to mention was any reloading manuals. That's what you need the most right now. Go out and buy two or three before you start.

Jim
Old September 13, 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

There are two kinds of primer tubes. The ones that pick up primers from the tray to feed the machine, and the ones inside the black steel sleeve. You have to use the right ones. If the Square Deals are set up correctly, the ones in the steel sleeves will be correct. You can just look down into the tubes to see the diameter difference. The .38 Spl will have the smaller tube diameter, and the 45 ACP the larger.

The pickup tubes also have two inside diameters. You cannot fit large primers into the small pickup tubes, so that is no problem. Small primers should just fall out of the large tubes, making them difficult to pick up, so that should be self-preventive, too, though I have never tried that trick.

The only problem that people commonly run into is when they change calibers on a machine from a cartridge using large pistol primers to a cartridge using small pistol primers, leaving the large tube inside the steel sleeve because they forgot to swap it out. They then are in the position of feeding small primers into the large tube which lets them flip sideways.

You did, indeed, get an excellent deal. You are fully entitled to Dillon service which, as has been pointed out, is lifetime for all but their 1050 professional machines, and is excellent. They will not even ask to get the bad part back. They will just mail you a new one, no questions asked. As Farmland said, the only advantage to the repair kit is to keep you running during the time it takes snail mail to get you the part. That will only matter if you didn't get around to loading for a match until the night before. Otherwise, just let them mail the part to you and clean brass or something else while you wait.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 13, 2009, 12:39 PM   #8
ccw08

Yeah my buddy that sold the stuff to me showed me how to use the pickup tubes and mag tubes for the primers, I have 2 of each large and small primer pickup tubes and 1 each of large and small mag tubes, a copper colored metal flip tray for primers, and some other small parts that he got for extras but never needed ( bolts, screws, plastic guides, etc etc )

I have been looking at reloading manuals and hear that the Lyman reloading manual is the best, is this true?
Old September 13, 2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Farmland

There really is no best, Lyman is nice because it offers a broad listing for lead bullets in addition to Jacket. I have one and in addition I have a few others such as Nosler etc because I use a lot of their bullets.

Later you will find that some of the powder company little books or on line info can help to supplement what you have.

One book is nice but others are better and even can be more helpful depending on the bullets you want to load.

I don't think you got such a good deal so if you want your money back plus a little extra just let me know.

Take care and have lots of fun.
Old September 13, 2009, 01:14 PM   #10
dssajj

We should all have friends with such deals The dillons will save you wanting to up grade latter. Good luck.
Old September 13, 2009, 02:02 PM   #11
ccw08

Lol yeah he was a good buddy for hooking me up, I tried to pay him more and he would not do it. I have driven him around quite a bit though because he lost his license so I pick him up for work a few times a month and take him home 15 minutes out of the way each morning and night so I guess we help eachother out lol.