The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 12, 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
Ace12

"Trophy Bonded Tip" Bullet????

Anyone tried this new bullet? I am curious about its performance. I can't find any data on it yet, I'm wondering what the ballistic coefficient is?
Also curious if the nickel plating can wear down the rifling in a barrel?

Old November 12, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
pbrktrt

it's basically the bear claw with a ballistic tip. it should be a real good bullet.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:17 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...if the nickel plating can..." No more than any other bullet. Nickel plating isn't as hard as barrel steel.
Old November 12, 2008, 09:38 PM   #4
wpcexpert

Who makes it???
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5
Ace12

Federal

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Resour...onded-Tip.aspx
Old November 13, 2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Big-Foot

The old style TBBC was a Speer bullet. My guess is that Federal just loads it.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Ace12

I could be wrong, but I think Federal and Speer are owned by the same parent company. There is quite a few things different in the new bullet compared to the original TBBC. It has the polymer tip, boat tail, and the three rings to reduse pressure.

I contacted Federal to find out what the BC is of the new TBT. It is .440
Old November 13, 2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Big-Foot

Ask them if it's good for killing vampires, werewolves and such. Nickel, silver, hey it's shiny maybe they can't tell the difference.

Didn't the Lone Ranger shoot silver bullets? I'd never heard of vampires in the old west, maybe he shot them all.
Old November 13, 2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Big-Foot

I thought this was pretty funny too.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"From Federal Cartridge Co.

-- Federal Premium has combined the latest in bullet technology with proven performance to bring big game hunters the Trophy Bonded Tip. This new offering is built on the heralded Trophy Bonded Bear Claw platform and adds numerous features for a substantial increase in performance.

The first and most noticeable addition is a neon, translucent polymer tip. This is coupled with a boat-tail design for flat trajectory and improved accuracy. Because it's built on the Bear Claw's proven platform, the new Trophy Tip has the jacket bonded to the core for high weight retention and a solid copper shank to crush bone.

The Trophy Tip is unique in that it combines several different bullet technologies in one projectile. Another improvement to this bullet is exterior skiving on the nickel-plated bullet that provides optimum expansion at a variety of ranges.

The load also features a nickel plated case and bullet for easy extraction and corrosion protection."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Is this like how those Honda Civics with the neon lights underneath (and the 5" exhaust tips)are faster than the ones without?

The old TBBC was a great heavy game bullet and I'm sure that this one will be just as good and I appreciate the higher BC. But don't you think that the marketing division went just a little bit overboard with it?
Old November 13, 2008, 06:51 PM   #10
Ace12

Ya I'm sure they went a little too far. It looks as though they are trying to compete with Barnes. Barnes is the only other one I know of that has the grooved rings around it. The new TBT looks an awful lot like the new Barnes TSX Tipped.

Old November 13, 2008, 07:19 PM   #11
Big-Foot

Hornady is doing it too. http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=792

Barnes success and California using lead bullet bans to limit hunting is getting the other bullet makers to follow suit.

Nolser's E-Tip, Winchester came out with the XP3 a couple of years ago but I've never seen one.
Old November 13, 2008, 08:48 PM   #12
wpcexpert

They say that all copper bullets cause higher copper fouling in barrels.

I don't understand. Is there more copper touching the barrel, over a copper jacketed bullet. I figured it would be the same.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 14, 2008, 12:48 AM   #13
Big-Foot

Barnes uses pure copper which is softer than the alloy gilding copper that most jackets are made of that's why they leave some copper in the barrel. They cut grooves in the TSX, TTSX and MRX to stop this so it's not such a problem anymore. Hornady and Nosler use gilding copper in thiers so they don't foul any more than regular jacketed bullets. So now we have copper bullets with grooves, gilded copper bullets with grooves, and gilded copper bullets without grooves. I don't what the Trophy Bonded Tip it made of. It'll be interesting to see how they compare pressure wise, less pressure means higher velocity. Also those grooves lower the bullets BC.

I love all these new all or mostly copper bullets. The more choices the better and maybe the competition will bring Barnes prices down. Too bad North Fork folded up they were great.

Last edited by Big-Foot; November 14, 2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old November 14, 2008, 12:56 AM   #14
5RWill

Barnes should have patented their Triple shocks i will continue to support them but jeeze. 4 or 5 bullet makers now have the same thing. But on the plus side barnes is the only one that i've seen with 6.5mm full copper bullets like that.
Old November 23, 2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Big-Foot

I just found an article on it.

http://www.americanhunter.org/HW_A_FedPreBondTip.html

Quote:
I contacted Federal to find out what the BC is of the new TBT. It is .440
Ace12, which bullet was that BC for?
Old November 23, 2008, 06:10 PM   #16
Adventurer 2

Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw is the meanest bullet I load for 270 Winchester - If this bullet is an improvement on the TBBC, then I want it.
Old November 23, 2008, 07:55 PM   #17
Horseman

I'm not a big fan of shooting nickel plated bullets. The harder the bullet the more wear on the bore IMO. Not for me. Anyone who's ever trimmed nickel plated brass knows what I mean. I have cutter heads that look like a beaver chewed on em because nickel is so much harder than brass. Same thing here with nickel being harder than copper.
Old November 22, 2012, 10:31 AM   #18
whitearrow

i hate to resurrect a 4 yr old thread but i'm also interested in the trophy bonded tip bullet and case being nickel plated? will they wear the barrel anymore than a copper or lead bullet. also, will the nickel case wear the bolt any more than a brass cased bullet as the bolt slides over the case to eject a cartridge and chamber another? these have been the most accurate cartridge in my .308 win but i don't want to use them if the barrel/bolt wear are greater than a brass case and copper/lead bullet. what are y'alls thoughts on this?
thanks,
whitearrow->>>---------->
Old November 23, 2012, 05:43 AM   #19
1goodshot

I shot a nice bull elk with a 300 win mag loaded with that bullet. Shot through the chest at point blank range, he drop in his tracks. Found the bullet under the hide in perfect mushroom. Its the round Im going to use from now on in my 300.
Old November 23, 2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Metal god

if you down load this from Federal It has all the balisics on the bullet http://www.federalpremium.com/resour...plication.aspx

Or you can let me know what bullet size and wieght your looking for and i'll check The 308 165gr has a BC of .450 @ 2,800fps / 270 130gr has a BC of .440 @ 3,200fps/ 30-06 180gr has a BC of .500 @ 2,880fps

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; November 23, 2012 at 09:49 PM.