The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 2, 2011, 09:48 PM   #1
jimmythegeek

cheap/good 4x scope for appleseed?

I swiped a 3-9x40 scope from another rifle to use on my marlin 795 for an Appleseed shoot. It worked, but was overkill for 25 yards. I had better results at 4x than at 9x, due to having less visible wobble to distract me. That got me thinking that maybe I should look for a dedicated 4x scope for an optimized LTR. I figured I'd be able to find a good deal online, or better optics at the same price point in fixed, but I was wrong. It looks like a weaver 4k is over $120 new, which is pretty far into variable scope territory. Wouldn't you rather have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 scope instead?

I'm going to a gun show next weekend, and if I can find a fixed scope for a good price I'll grab it. Otherwise, steer me in the right direction.
Old November 2, 2011, 11:27 PM   #2
jmortimer

The Weaver K-4 would be my choice for sure.
Old November 3, 2011, 06:02 AM   #3
PawPaw

The Weaver K4 is a great choice, but I've got a Nikon 4X on my .30-30 Handi-rifle. Great little scope, good glass, it's as bright as it can be. The reason I chose it over the Weaver is that the dealer had one on the shelf and it was immediately available. Two years into the experiment and it's holding up nicely.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 4, 2011, 10:45 AM   #4
plumbercrack

Scope for your marlin

As the Marlin is a .22 i can understand your wanting an inexpensive scope. Check this one out

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/product/59512