The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
davis21b

Forgot calipers

I finally have gotten everything in and ready to start reloading for 223 but I forgot to get some calipers. Does snyone know how accurate and reliable the 6 in cen-tech digital calipers are?
Old August 7, 2011, 12:35 PM   #2
TheGreatDane

+-.001 is what they're published for. I prefer dials calipers. No batteries/electronic variance.
Old August 7, 2011, 12:51 PM   #3
mikld

I too, prefer a dial caliper over a digital. I've used both over the years and I didn't feel I could truely trust a digital; some numbers just pop up in a display. Plus I had one digital ruined when one of the $5.00 batteries leaked and corroded the contacts.
Old August 7, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4
wncchester

I have three dial (two 6", one 12") and one (6") digital calipers from Harbor Freight. Checked against my high precision 'jo blocks' both read much better than a thou. They are easily as good as my old machinest grade Swiss made vernier caliber.
Old August 7, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5
deepcore

I have 3 Cen-Techs. Cost with coupon enabled me to get three for the price of one from MidwayUSA and dedicate two (one for my Hornady Headspace Gauge and Hornady OAL/Bullet Comparator Gauge) so I don't have to take the gauges on and off.

I bought 20 of the batteries off of Ebay for $1.66 shipped. I take them out after use to avoid leaking problems.

I don't have any official gauge to check each one against. Only that before I set them up I used all three to measure a piece of alumnium rod I had lying around in my junk drawer and they all read the same.
Old August 7, 2011, 02:23 PM   #6
jonboyc

I only had the money to buy a cheap cabela's caliper and was worried it wouldn't be accurate. So every time I turn on the caliper I measure a 1.5" piece of galvanized steel from my grandpa's garage and it measure dead on every time. So from my experience digital's work just fine.