The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old November 11, 2007, 12:05 AM   #1
Sweatnbullets

Who are you?

Over the last seven years there has been some major advancement in the art when it comes to the world of the gun. This is predominantly due to the realization that “one size does not fit all” and that the “situation” is the dictating factor when it comes down to choosing a tactic or technique to deal with a life threatening encounter. It is plain to see that the facts are that the situation dictates the strategy, the strategy dictates the tactics, and the tactics dictate the techniques. The technique based training of the past locked us into a “one size fits all” mentality that simply does not stand up under open minded scrutiny and much less inside of force on force.

As we look at the situation, one of the key components of this situation comes down to “who are you?” As we look at this question we immediately think of the most obvious aspects of it. We think about age, physical ability, size, and training. Of course, these are very important aspects of your personal situation. One aspect, that is less obvious, but none the less important, is your mindset. The question needs to be ask “who are you” in regards to the mental aspect of the fight. What has your past experiences and performances been in physical altercations? Are you aggressive or passive by nature? Did you immediately take the fight to the opponent or hesitate due to denial. Did you only go on the defensive?

These are all very important questions. But the reality is that many people have never had to answer these questions. For those of us that are not as lucky, we have a basic idea of who we are. For really unlucky people and the professionals, there is enough experience to know exactly who they are.

The reason that this question is so important is so that you can prioritize your training to take in account exactly who you are. If you know yourself to be very aggressive, you can train aggressive action as a known priority. This will not only fit your situation very well but it will also further entrench this natural desire to take the fight to the adversary. By ingraining this deeper and deeper, you will recognize the situation, for what it is, earlier and respond quicker. It is my belief that this is what we see in some of the old timers that have prevailed numerous times with stand and deliver skills or while advancing aggressively. Gunfighters such as Fairbairn, Sykes, Bryce, Jordon, and Askins were born hunters/meat eaters that knew exactly who they were and trained with this knowledge to the point that they were “in the fight” before the Average Joe would even know that a fight was eminent. This ability to recognize the fight early and respond to it with decisive aggressive action leaves options of tactics and techniques open that simply are not available to the Average Joe.

You may also know yourself as someone that can shift gears to aggressive action, but only after a slight hesitation. This is where many moderately trained civilians would find themselves. This knowledge can help you prioritize your training to something that gets you off of the line of attack, at a subconscious level, to give yourself some time for the conscious mind to catch up and go on the offense. This is where getting off of the X really shines. The forward oblique’s and parallel tracking works very well for this type of mindset. Visualization while training can improve this hesitation. You need to tap into that inner animal, the one that simply works off of indignation. Visualization of protection of my wife and kids brings me closer to the decisive aggressive action that some of the top gunfighters in history have used to prevail. Reality is that my wife and kids do not even have to be present for this mindset to be enacted. Any attack on me is an attack on my wife and kids.

You may also know yourself as someone that will only act defensively, someone that will simply not go on the offense. While I do not agree with this type of mindset, as an instructor I have to understand that this may be the makeup of some of my students. Skills such as rearward movement or fighting to cover can be taught as their priority tactic. As I give them those skills, I do my best to convey to them the importance of a winning mindset and the option of more aggressive tactics and techniques.

As I said earlier, many people have not had to answer the question of who they really are. For these people it is important to train yourself to be as well rounded as possible. It is also important to work on ingraining a winning mindset. Force of force courses can help you begin to determine who you are. Visualization while training is a very important aspect in cultivating this aggressive winning mindset.

When we look back on the old timers that were so successful in there numerous gunfights, one thing is perfectly clear. They had the mindset to not only win, but to aggressively destroy the threat. They did not shoot to stop. They did not shoot to defend. They shot to effectively obliterate the threat. This is what made the tactics and techniques that they chose to use, as effective as they were.

They knew exactly who they were. They trained and fought with this absolute knowledge.

So the question bears repeating, “Who are you?”
Old November 11, 2007, 07:56 AM   #2
xrocket

Well Sweatnbullets .... Who are you sir?

Why don't you tell us about you, or is your question rhetorical?

Good shooting.
Old November 11, 2007, 09:13 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My gun handling, use and safety knowledge began at 4-5 years old with cap gun toys. My parents and other family were quick to point out rules of proper gun handling. My parents began training my older sister to babysit at 8, I was 6 and my father took me to the woods with the full length 12 gauge and showed me how to use it to defend my sisters. I was hunting by 8 and still had much information regarding guns and hunting as well as protection given by family. I was taught to respect the animals I was hunting and to only take ethical shots. I was also taught by my WWII grampa and VN Vet father what I needed to do to protect my self from any threat. Hand to hand, improvised weapon (basically anything tougher than a feather can be a weapon), knives and knife handling for defense, also guns. I was also taught that often, not always, a tough offensive approach will be my best defense. I was also taught that Bg's are often not as brave as they think and once you call their bluff, you got them buffaloed!
At 12 I started taking every safety/first aid course offered at school. Some red cross first aid, hunter safety, gun safety offered by the NRA to name just a few!
I was always of small/medium stature at 5'8" 140-145. But knowledgeable enough to defend myself in small altercations with just hand to hand defense. I never was one to start fights but rarely would back down! I recently had a auto wreck that pretty much destroyed my left arm and hand which was my strong one. I am now having to re-think my defense options.... Luckily I was also taught to shoot right handed.
Brent
Old November 11, 2007, 10:44 AM   #4
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Well Sweatnbullets .... Who are you sir?

Why don't you tell us about you, or is your question rhetorical?
I feel that the question is a personal one that an individual asks of themself.

In my post, I do hint on where I stand, but I would not expect others to publically answer the question unless they were so inclined.

It has been my students that have inspired this article. Some of them know exactly who they are and their words, actions, experience, and demeanor leave next to zero doubt.
Old November 11, 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
Rob Pincus

I very much agree with your post, SB... The great thing is that we have gotten to the point where people can seek out Context Based training to help them determine the things of which you speak without having to go through actual critical incidents. Whether you call it Warrior Expert, Pre-Battle Veteran or simply "well trained", the days of having had to have "seen the elephant" to answer many of the questions you pose are gone....
Old November 11, 2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Avenger11

Who am I!! Someone totally bored and not inspired by your lengthy thread.
Old November 11, 2007, 07:42 PM   #7
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Who am I!! Someone totally bored and not inspired by your lengthy thread.
Feel free to never read anything that I post. I also use my real name (Roger Phillips) at other forums.....real free to not read those either.
Old November 11, 2007, 08:59 PM   #8
The Canuck

SB has the gist of it, although not perfectly in tune with the reality of it in all ways.

He is bang on in that we have to enter into any situation with a warrior mindset and we must also train with intent with that same warrior mindset. Just becasue the spirit is willing does not make the body able. Also, SB says that we must train our strengths, I disagree, we must train our shortcomings and maintain our strengths. If we can pull off a med shot at 10m from the draw freestyle but cannot even make a COM shot with our off hand at that range, we need to work those off hand skills. If we come up aces in getting off the "X" but only after being lit up in Force on Force we need to work our situational awareness and action cues.

It is not working towards your mindset that will help you "win", it is working towards reacting to the reality that presents itself and decisively acting towards the solution that allows you to "win" On that SB and I agree. However how we reach that "victory" depends upon the scenario and how you have to use your skill sets to come out "on top". Don't work scenarios, work skill sets and then learn to put them together through problem solving to effectively deal with the scenario. If you are outnumbered six to one and they have the jump on you, you don't charge them, you move out of the zone as fast as you can while making it as hard for them to hit you as possible. If you have to swing around again to re-engage then that's what you gotta do, but do it on your terms, not thiers, again, skill sets and problem solving, if you can get out though, GET OUT. Even Wyatt Earp only did the deed when he had no other choice. Your first response should never be through instinct, it should be through awareness and congnizance. Relying on instinct only works when there is a lot more than one person being targeted in the KZ. Does this paint a pretty picture? Hell no! When you have to use a firearm to defend your life pretty picture went out the picture window when the criminal decided he was going to take something from you through force, whether you are aware of it or not.
Old November 11, 2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Also, SB says that we must train our strengths, I disagree, we must train our shortcomings and maintain our strengths.
Actually that is not what I believe in. I believe that we must prioritize our training to the most likely situation. If you are inherently aggressive, that would be your priority response. Prioritization has nothing to do with weaknesses or strengths.

I teach a very well rounded approach due to the fact that the situation will dictate whether your priority mindset makes any sense at all.

We are saying very much the same thing except that one misconception.

As I said,
Quote:
It is plain to see that the facts are that the situation dictates the strategy, the strategy dictates the tactics, and the tactics dictate the techniques.
Old November 12, 2007, 12:03 AM   #10
Wildalaska

Quote:
You may also know yourself as someone that will only act defensively, someone that will simply not go on the offense. While I do not agree with this type of mindset
Why not? Whats wrong with being a total chickens**t? Life on the streets of American isnt war (unless you live in the poor areas of DC or Baltimore)

WildarrrrgashadowhelppowpowpowoopssorryswmboishotyoursweaterAlaska TM
Old November 12, 2007, 02:24 PM   #11
Tanzer

I'm a disgruntled teacher who's plan to take over the world by raising an entire army under 4 feet tall was foiled by "No Child Left Behind".
Other than that, "who I am" is adaptable to the situation. Remarkably calm under pressure stands out. I don't know why, I just am - lots of instances to show this. Without pressure, never backing down (AKA stubborn - my Irish mother). The only thing I like more than winning is watching a cocky opponent lose. Never afraid to get hurt with one caveat; (it may seem to go against what I just said, but it's reserved for extreme situations); If logic CLEARLY dictates that it's time to make tracks, and as long as I'm not leaving loved ones in jeapardy by doing so, I do a great impression of a lightning bolt.
Old November 12, 2007, 02:32 PM   #12
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Canuck
He is bang on in that we have to enter into any situation with a warrior mindset and we must also train with intent with that same warrior mindset.
Every time I hear the word 'warrior' I want to gag.

You're not a warrior, I'm not a warrior. A member of Armed Forces is not a warrior; they are citizen soldiers.

Every idiot I know who lives at a dojo and claims his lineage to his samurai past is so convoluted in fantasy I doubt that he can be salvaged. The last samurai died out during the 1890's, and unless someone can provide some solid historic foundation, I do not know of one who was Caucasian.

If you wake up in the morning, stare into the mirror to shave and see a warrior, you need more counseling than I do. You are a danger to society and other mall ninjas.

A man defends his family and community. Drunken townies fight for bragging rights. Warriors fight for supposed goals no one else sees.
Old November 12, 2007, 03:07 PM   #13
Tanzer

I don't think The Canuck was referring to the horned helmet and the spiked ball on a chain. I think it was more "Eye of the Tiger" in nature, but he can answer that himself. The point is, semantics are just squabble points. If I'm practicing to win anything from football to chess, I'm practicing an "I win, you lose" mindset. That can be seen as a warrior.
Heck, I teach fourth-grade with a warrior mindset; I combat the stupidity enscanced by the liberal preachings of my colleagues and kids' parents. I deal with kids that think you're evil if you cut down a tree, they don't know why (really) but you must be, because they learned "trees are our friends" in third grade.
I point out facts; If every week, we cut down an area of rainforest the size of Kentucky, or every day, one the size of a football field, and we've done so for thirty years, how come there's still a rainforest??? You'd pay to see the looks on kid's faces, you'd hate to be me in the teacher's lounge. Why bother? Warrior attitude - fight for truth.
It doesn't mean being the guy on the cover of the Molly Hatchet album, it means I plan nothing less than victory. The truth is my sword (histrionic, huh?). Come at me with BS and lies, and I will never back down.
Old November 12, 2007, 10:49 PM   #14
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
Why not? Whats wrong with being a total chickens**t? Life on the streets of American isnt war (unless you live in the poor areas of DC or Baltimore)
In the FOF testing that we have done, we see that there are many things being taught as "gospel" that do not work well in a physical confrontation. Here is a quick run down of some of the "always" rules that simply do not stand up to testing.

Always move to cover (cover is rarely available and if it is usually too far away)

Always create distance (back peddeling has proven to be disasterous inside FOF and very few people know how to move and shoot rearward without back peddeling)

Always defend and never go on the offense (how does this help with the OODA loop and taking back the initiative?)

Never move forward because it is too offensive (even though certain angles give us the very best chance "to hit and not be hit.")

Never move straight in (even though some of the top gunfighters in history have used this tactic sucessfully numerous times)

Quote:
I try not to get too wrapped around the axel over something as simple as a word, especially when that word is a generally accepted word inside of a certain profession. Some of the biggest, most reputable, watered down, politically correct, gun schools use the term "warrior mindset" on a regular basis. It is a very well established term inside of the firearms training profession.

Pet peeves over the use of a well established word is kind of odd. It is only a word and it is being used correctly.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
war·ri·or /ˈwɔriər, ˈwɔryər, ˈwɒriər, ˈwɒryər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.
2. a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1250–1300; ME werreieor < ONF, equiv. to werrei(er) to war1 + -eor -or2]

—Related forms
war·ri·or·like, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source - Share This war·ri·or (wôr'ē-ər, wŏr'-) Pronunciation Key
n.
One who is engaged in or experienced in battle.
One who is engaged aggressively or energetically in an activity, cause, or conflict: neighborhood warriors fighting against developers.
Old November 12, 2007, 11:16 PM   #15
Wildalaska

Quote:
Here is a quick run down of some of the "always" rules that simply do not stand up to testing.

Always move to cover (cover is rarely available and if it is usually too far away)

Always create distance (back peddeling has proven to be disasterous inside FOF and very few people know how to move and shoot rearward without back peddeling)

Always defend and never go on the offense (how does this help with the OODA loop and taking back the initiative?)

Never move forward because it is too offensive (even though certain angles give us the very best chance "to hit and not be hit.")

Never move straight in (even though some of the top gunfighters in history have used this tactic sucessfully numerous times)
Yeah...well where is running away as fast as you can screaming like an 11 year old girl with a big fat leech hangin on her nose?

Ya got an acronym for that one...? I do

OYTIABGHWAGIBOOHAFAICSLAGWALOHN...

WildteachthatoneandafreewwgtshirttowhoverfiguresouttheacronymAlaska TM
Old November 12, 2007, 11:46 PM   #16
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets
Some of the biggest, most reputable, watered down, politically correct, gun schools use the term "warrior mindset"
I just don't see how self delusion helps anyone.

Frankly, the toughest fighters I've ever seen are working cowboys. I don't mean the dress-up urban variety, but the working stiffs. Truckers are a close second.

I guess I just don't believe in the old zen "you are the bullet" mantra.

When I needed to shoot metallic silhuette, I practiced. If I needed strength, I hit the gym. It's slow, it hurts, but when you win, the victory is all yours.

Yeah, yeah, I know. I never shot 40x40.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:07 AM   #17
Sweatnbullets

Quote:
I just don't see how self delusion helps anyone.
The dictionary only proves one person wrong here......so who is the delusional one?
Old November 13, 2007, 09:48 AM   #18
Edward429451

Quote:
That's funny in a sad way. Can anyone say Clockwork Orange?

Good question SB.
Old November 13, 2007, 09:50 AM   #19
gvf

Who Am I? A person going on about his day. Not a trainee in aggressive combat tactics preparing for a death-fight.
Old November 13, 2007, 10:51 AM   #20
got15plus1

(Quote
Yeah...well where is running away as fast as you can screaming like an 11 year old girl with a big fat leech hangin on her nose?

Ya got an acronym for that one...? I do

OYTIABGHWAGIBOOHAFAICSLAGWALOHN...

WildteachthatoneandafreewwgtshirttowhoverfiguresouttheacronymAlaska TM

(Reply
aight WildAlaska, i think i got your acronym..lol

over yonder there is a bad guy hanging with a gun, i better of omit having a firearm, also in case some law abiding guy was around laughing on his Nokia..
Old November 13, 2007, 11:02 AM   #21
pax

gvf ~

Yup. Me too.

I'm a middle-aged woman in the midst of raising five young men. I'm a wife, I'm a mom, I'm my kids' teacher, I'm a homeowner, I'm a voter. I'm a competent firearms instructor. I'm a writer.

I'm a lot of things.

But I'm not a warrior.

If I ever get attacked, I'll fight like a cornered cat to defend myself and the people I love. Why a cornered cat? Because a cornered cat might be small, but she can make a grown man think twice about trying to grab her. Because until she needs to use them, a cat's claws stay sheathed. Because she doesn't build her life around being able to fight, but she sure can if she needs to. She keeps her claws sharp, but sharpening her claws isn't the most important thing in her life. Because when she does fight, she fights only to get away, and doesn't worry a squiff about the consequences. Because she doesn't have a "sort of" setting. She fights all-out, with everything she's got. When she needs to. But only when she needs to. She doesn't swagger around looking to pick fights, or spend her whole life fluffed up to three times her normal size.

Warriors build their entire lives around being bigger, badder, tougher than the gang over the hill. The warrior goes looking for an enemy to fight -- and is disappointed when he can't find one. That's not me, and never will be. If trouble never finds me, I'll be thankful, not regretful. I surely won't need to invent encounters that never happened, simply to make myself feel better about my warrior credentials.

Frankly I've always thought that the "Warrior Mindset" as it relates to ordinary citizens mostly sounded like ... well, like small boys looking for ways to make themselves feel bigger and braver than they otherwise would. Like Walter Mitty, fantasizing about a life he could not live. Like Dumbo the elephant, grasping a feather to make himself fly. A myth to give somebody confidence they otherwise would never be able to drum up on their own.

And that's okay: human beings make stories for themselves. We make fables and myths to give us courage. It's almost what it means to be human.

But that doesn't mean it's not a fable.

pax
Old November 13, 2007, 11:18 AM   #22
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
looking for ways to make themselves feel bigger and braver...Like Walter Mitty
That's a very good way to portray the idea.

What most of them don't know is that no one is being fooled. Being scared in a fight is natural. Realizing that no matter how tough you become, the guy sitting next to you is tougher--and probably better looking.

In any pursuit, the goal is self improvement. It's not being stronger than the next guy, it's being stronger than you were last month.

As for actually pulling the trigger, let me provide a little insight from an old guy. When I think about "loss" or of "danger," I think about my wife and my two innocent pups. I don't think of my reputation in the community or of my peers.

I realize that when the cops arrive, my wife and I will be cuddled in a mass of confusion, our home violated, our psyche never to be the same.

The strongest, most dangerous man I have known had one fear. He got laid off every winter, and it was a merry chase to feed his family.

Every 'man' I knew who used the title 'warrior' was a poser.
Old November 13, 2007, 11:27 AM   #23
pax

Tourist,

As I said, it's okay to make fables. Nothing wrong with it! -- it's what human beings do.

It's what I do, myself. "Cornered cat" is just another fable, a story I tell myself. It's both as true and as false as any other fable.

pax
Old November 13, 2007, 11:52 AM   #24
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
Tourist, As I said, it's okay to make fables.
Obviously you've never seen me sharpen!

A tinker is the town crier and clown prince of the service industry. Most of what I offer is entertainment. You get your knife sharpened for free, you're actually paying for the jokes.

There's a story about a city elder who noticed a disheveled man hanging around the main gate. The elder inquired about his status and intentions.

"Good sir," the ragamuffin began, "I am a traveler, a minstrel, a balladeer. I bring treasures from afar, I relate news, I perform, I am a clown, sometimes mercenary, a leader of men, a follower of women..."

The elder stopped him.

"So, my friend," the elder gesticulated, "You're a fricken knife sharpener..."

It's alright to tell tales and laugh among friends. It's quite another to foist yourself as other than true--and I know that road. If some one asks questions about safety and security, then we should not manufacture tales of daring-do for wars we have never fought.

A self proclaimed 'warrior' is that man.
Old November 13, 2007, 12:05 PM   #25
Fremmer

Actually, a cornered cat isn't a fable at all.

Ever have to give a feline an antibiotic pill twice daily for a week? I have.

The first few days were bad enough. By day 3, Manifred got to the point that she'd see me, hiss, and instantly run off. Then the chase would begin. By the way, it's pretty hard to catch an irritated feline. Finally, you close every door in the house except for one bedroom door, chase said feline into the room, and close that door. Manifred always ended up under the bed. Hissing. Which meant that I had to stick my arm under there and try to scruff her to drag her out so that I could finally giver her the damn pill. The instant my hand went under the bed, the hissing turned into LOUD growling and hissing. Manifred never bit or scratched, but I was always terrified that she would. Because you never know what a hissing, growling, cornered cat is going to do. Especially an in-bred Nebraska farm cat named Manifred.

By day 6, I gave up, and decided that Manifred had won the pill war. 6 days of antibiotics would have to be good enough.
Closed Thread