The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 6, 2010, 07:59 PM   #1
croc4

possible causes of double fires

Hey guys,

I'm looking for all the possible causes of an AR15 double firing, the obvious one is the trigger groups disconector, but are there any other causes?

Thanks,

Croc4

Last edited by croc4; March 6, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old March 6, 2010, 08:03 PM   #2
10-96

Could be a number of things. Do you reload or shoot reloads? Are the primers high? Also, is the firing pin bent, mushroomed, out of spec? And, the firing pin channel in the bolt could be fouled and not letting the pin rebound fully. Just a thought or two.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:02 PM   #3
DnPRK

Some people who don't have a proper follow through when they pull the trigger on an AR-15 can fire two shots in rapid succession. The first shot when they pull the trigger and a second shot when they pull the trigger again as the rifle rebounds from recoil against their shoulder. There is nothing wrong with the rifle, just too light a touch on the trigger.

Some people make a game of firing multiple shots in rapid succession. Google "bump firing".
Old March 7, 2010, 12:05 AM   #4
hoghunting

Factory trigger or aftermarket adjustable trigger? If it's an aftermarket, the sear engagement might need adjusting.
Old March 7, 2010, 12:53 PM   #5
croc4

its a 6.8spc shooting reloads, its an after market jard trigger, went through the instructions again yesterday, seems to per their instructions. I also noticed with only the bolt head and the firing pin, that the firing pin tends to stick in the bolt head depending on where the pin is rotated, some times it will drop out other times it seems to stick enough that it won't drop out when the the bolt head is facing up, so this could be the problem. The firing pin should always drop out when you face the bolt head up correct?

croc4
Old March 7, 2010, 01:32 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

What primers are you using? Type and manufacturer?
Old March 7, 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
croc4

small rifle, CCI-400
Old March 7, 2010, 02:16 PM   #8
10-96

Quote:
The firing pin should always drop out when you face the bolt head up correct?
That is correct. Now, it's a matter of finding out if the hole is burred or the pin is out of spec. Either you can get a powerful flashlight or laser and shine it through the bolt onto a piece of paper (kind of like a sun eclipse thing) to see if there are any irregularities. Or, see if you can borrow or obtain a very fine jewelers round file and smooth it out. Or, buy an additional firing pin- I think they should all be the same. However, I think there are some high-end pins like titanium, etc that might cost a bit more.

Either way, that is an issue that needs a fixing ruther than just hoping it'll go away. I started to recommend putting the pin in a bare bolt and tapping it on a hard surface until it acts right, but I would be affraid fouling would put you back where you started.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 7, 2010, 02:35 PM   #9
waterfowler

Is your firing pin seized and wont move? The pin could be bent or mushroomed or anything.
Old March 9, 2010, 11:53 PM   #10
croc4

thanks for all the suggestions guys, I worked on the bolt head and firing pin, light filing of the bolt head internal hole and then a polish of the firing pin and channel, etc. The stickyness is now gone, so I'm hopeful the issue is resolved.

Thanks again

Croc4
Old March 10, 2010, 12:57 AM   #11
riverwalker76

Quote:
small rifle, CCI-400
That's one of your problems!

I have a buddy who had problems with the CCI-400 series slam firing on him. After a little research we found out the way to go is CCI-450 Small MAg Rifle Primers. CCI-400 are designed for the small rifle caliber bolt guns, and the 450s have thicker cups. If you really want to tune her up get some CCI 41 primers. These are OEM CCI MILSPEC primers. They come in a white and black box with CCI 41 on them. This is what the military manufacturers use on military contract ammo. It's a heavy cup and won't slam fire.