The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 16, 2009, 10:00 PM   #26
sholling

Quote:
The factory 10/22T Hammer Forged Barrel is a great shooter,although on the heavy side. There are aftermarket barrels that are a little more accurate,but why spend several hundred more for a tad more accuracy.
Because the accuracy of factory barrels is hit or miss. Some get lucky and get one that groups well. Some don't. I had to have the chamber recut to get anything resembling accuracy out of mine.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:54 PM   #27
ROGER4314

I have three modified 10-22 rifles. Two have Green Mountain 20" SS barrels and one has a Clerke Match barrel. All three have Fajen Composite, Adjustable stocks. I built the rifles for shooting at 200 yard matches and all do an exceptional job at 200.

The comments listed above may refer to similar performance at close range between a tapered Ruger Barrel and the heavy aftermarket barrels. That may have some truth to it when the rifle is used at its' normal range. There is a HUGE, difference however, in what a standard, tapered barrel and what a bull barrel will do at 200 yards. That gain is worth every dime for the cost of the barrel!

Scaling that 200 yard accuracy gain to closer range, it seems logical that some gain is also provided at 50-100 yards.

I do not float the barrels as the 10-22 needs the barrel to be supported at the forward end. The Fajen stock would be very difficult to make it full floating. Since the stock really doesn't provide any advantage except to make it fit me better and to allow the use of big, powerful scopes, I attribute the gain in accuracy at long range to the barrel.

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; November 18, 2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old November 19, 2009, 03:22 AM   #28
kiwi56

Bull Barrel

It is hard to compare the early Ruger T22 barrel to the modern after market barrels that are currently available. My brother had an early T22 (circa 1996) and even when new all the ammunition was a sloppy fit in the chamber, when you removed the barrel from the action you could drop a round straight into the chamber and it just fell in until seated on the rim you could also touch the head of the case and se it move. From this I am guessing that it was just a saami chamber and not a match chamber.
The best accuracy out of that rifle was just over an inch at 50 yards for five shots and that was after trying a variety of ammo.
I do not know if later variants of the T22 were fitted with modified match chambers.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:09 AM   #29
madcratebuilder

I have had excellent results with oem barrels and re-cutting the chamber to match spec. Most 10/22 accuracy problems are from loose chambers and crazy excessive head space.

Triggers do not make the rifle more accurate, they make the shooter more accurate. You can either buy aftermarket parts and trick out a 10/22 in the thousands of dollars. Or you can do the DIY approach, maybe buying barrel and stock only. Do the rest yourself, pillar bedding, trigger, bolt and other mods are easy for the average table top gunsmith.

This rifle has three aftermarket parts, barrel, stock and a straight leg trigger. The rest is diy.

That's some good shooting Txhillbilly.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; November 19, 2009 at 09:18 AM.