The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 10:25 PM   #1
Xyrium

Need a single gun bedside safe, simplex too easy?

Hey guys. I read a few single gun safe posts and several folks recommend reputable brands, but models that use the simplex lock. Being new to safes, are these Simplex locks still considered as easily popped as the digital units? Here's a Forbes article on the simplex, go to the link on page seven for the video.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcwebe...ow-easy-is-it/
Old February 13, 2013, 12:13 AM   #2
TennJed

Are you going to CCW this same bedside gun? If so a bedside safe (to me a nightstand safe) only needs to be good enough to keep kids and houseguest out. If the gun will be with you most of the time, you don't need fort knox, just a basic safe
Old February 13, 2013, 01:26 AM   #3
alex0535

You need something simple enough to open in the dark, but secure enough to keep children and house-guest out of it. It will not keep out a determined thief.

This design looks weak to anyone with a smartphone with access to google to learn its weakness. If they are still so easily opened, given 20 minutes they could tear apart a decent sized speaker for the magnet and have it open.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Gaerek

Any of the less expensive bedside safes are pretty easy to open. There is nothing foolproof. The best thing you can do is figure out what your needs are and pick something that will meet those needs. If it's just a bedside safe to keep a gun nearby and keep it out of the hands of the kids, really, any of the smaller, cheap, safes will work, as long as you're putting the gun somewhere more secure (wearing it, or a more secure safe) once you wake up.

If this is something you're planning on storing a gun in, get something high quality that's harder to get into.
Old February 13, 2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Xyrium

THanks guys. I don't need a pistol for my job, so it will be stored there full time. The others will remain in a decent Liberty safe. All of the single gun safes seem to either have digital security, or simplex locks. Both of which it appears that a 5 year old can break into in less than 5 seconds according to articles or youtube vids.

I have a budget of $500 for this safe, and it needs to be very easy to open in the case of an emergency, but secure enough to keep someone out that has time to spend cracking it.

I almost picked up a Protex HD20 until I saw the vid on youtube showing folks how to easily compromise digital safes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOdmMb90YEE
Old February 13, 2013, 06:00 PM   #6
chris in va

Make sure you bolt it to a wall or floor. Otherwise it just makes for a convenient package to carry out the door.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Xyrium

Absolutely. It will get bolted to my nightstand. If they're willing to haul that entire thing out the door (they may) then they deserve it.

Any suggestions? I worry about items like the Simplex and Digital locks, and these thin sheet metal safes like Gun Vault products, though the SVB 500 with bioreader would be great.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8
chris in va

Honestly I just have an electronic keypad safe bolted to the wall above my nightstand. It has worked fine for a few years. If I had to fault it for anything, the keypad doesn't light up. I have to do the braille thing in the dark.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:45 PM   #9
FAS1

There are two manufacturers of the mechanical pushbutton lock. The article referenced is a couple years old and Kaba says they corrected the problem in Nov. 2011. The other maker says theirs is not affected.

In my opinion, this type of lock is still hard to beat on a handgun safe. No key, no batteries, easily opened by feel, quick, reliable, and durable. Get a handgun safe made of at least 10ga steel and bolt it down.

FAS1 SAFE Video Clip
Old February 14, 2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Shadi Khalil

We recently had a baby so the in laws bought me two safes for Christmas. One is a key and punch pad lock and the other uses a thumb print. I just can't warm up to the idea of not having my gun loaded and on my night stand. I'm also a bit weary of the whole thumb print operation. FWIW, the scanner works great and never fails to work.
Old February 14, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
ejfalvo

I have a simple clam shell, combo lock safe cabled to the middle of my bed frame. Easy to access as the safe is just under the bed. If someone wants to steal the safe they will need to disassemble the bed frame.
Old February 19, 2013, 07:08 AM   #12
Xyrium

Thanks for the ideas guys. Since I don't have kids, I guess I'll go for the simple stuff like the gunvault or one of the simplex lock units for now, and try to conceal them in an area that's still easy to reach.
Old February 19, 2013, 08:31 AM   #13
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
a bedside safe (to me a nightstand safe) only needs to be good enough to keep kids and houseguest out
exactly
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old February 19, 2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Frontpage

I have 4 small safes all with simplex locks and I would recommend them to anyone. No key, no batteries, no confusion. These locks work every time .