The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 16, 2013, 09:44 PM   #26
Dashunde

Or just do nothing.
He's already booted from GB, I doubt he can leave a bad review/rep on you at this point.
The mess is his fault anyway.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:25 PM   #27
JimmyR

When you get this many responses AGREEING with each other, I think you might have your answer.

I'd jump in to this myself, but I don't think I could say anything that hasn't been said.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Jacobie

Yea, I appreciate it guys, I just didn't want to be a jerk about it. It seems I didn't do anything wrong though.

Thanks again.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:04 PM   #29
deepcreek

Smells like a scam to me.

The ammo just vanished in thin air? doubt it. He is already banned from GB another huge red flag on top of it.

I would bet he tried to get 2 of everything he buys or a refund for one free, that's probably why he is banned.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:48 PM   #30
Jacobie

He quit emailing me after the last email he sent asking me what I was going to do. I replied, I guess you can go to your old house and see if they have it.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:43 PM   #31
Lamar Jr

I call Scam

I have done several transactions on Gunbroker and many on eBay over the years. One thing I have learned is that honest buyers and sellers work very hard to make sure every transaction goes perfectly. They over communicate consistently, in a positive way.

In my mind, anyone who would fail to provide you a correct shipping address is trying to pull a fast one. When you add in his negative feedback from previous transactions, I see no room for doubt about his motives.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:52 PM   #32
B.N.Real

You can only follow the proper procedures to complete your side of the transaction.

If you have a tracking receipt that your shipment was delivered to the address provided by the buyer which you must have to legally sell ammo by mail,you have completed the transaction to the best of your ability.

If the buyer cannot get someone he trusts to sign for it,then that's his problem.

Tell him,you have the signed receipt and for him to check with whoever he had sign for it.

This transaction is delivered, signed for legally and over.
Old May 22, 2013, 06:45 AM   #33
Skans

Heck No! You shipped it to the address stated on Gunbroker. You did exactly what you were supposed to do. At any time, he could have updated his gunbroker account or even provided you with a different shipping address. How many people do you know who have had their Gunbroker account deactivated? I know of one guy who is regularly regarded as a scammer on a different forum and a convicted criminal who still has a gunbroker account. If he still has an account, the guy you were dealing with must really be a piece of work.

Where exactly did the buyer THINK the ammo was being sent?
Old May 22, 2013, 08:26 AM   #34
chiefr

I too think you are being scammed.
One thing about GB is they run a pretty tight ship. That explains why the buyer had his account closed.

One other thing I have noticed on GB is the address on GB is often 20% of the time, not the address the seller wants the payment sent to. This is the sellers problem, not a problem with GB.
When I buy, I always communicate before I send any money.
Old May 22, 2013, 09:04 AM   #35
Jimboh247

Piling on!
It's a scam!

But I have to say, I am so glad you have a "Moral Aspect"!

I don't know you from Adam's house cat, but I would not hesitate to deal with you. Good man!
Old May 22, 2013, 01:17 PM   #36
breakingcontact

Could be a scam. Could just be one of those people that always has a hard luck story, always the victim, never can get their "stuff together".

I've been fortunate on gunbroker. I am about totally done trying to buy anything (not gun stuff) on craigslist though. I do always feel much better on gunbroker selling than buying. Same on craigslist.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:58 AM   #37
Jacobie

Thanks for the support guys, you made me feel better about my decision.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:56 AM   #38
Rifleman1776

I used to sell collectibles via the internet. This type of scam is common. Just let it ride. If his claim is valid and serious he will take action. Call the bluff.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:15 AM   #39
Mike Irwin
Staff

It sounds as if this one has been more than resolved, and there's really no need for more people to keep coming in and saying what's been said numerous times already.

Jacobie, if you hear anything more from this guy, let me know and I'll reopen this thread.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 25, 2013, 08:15 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

Per your request, Jacobie.

Be interesting to hear the updates.

Old May 25, 2013, 10:38 PM   #41
Jacobie

Update:

So the last email I sent before I started this thread basically told him that I sent it to the correct address per gunbroker. But maybe ups could be contacted to retrieve the package, honestly I was kind of hoping it would have been sent back to me, but it wasn't. Yesterday I got an email from him asking what I was going to do about it, and if I checked with ups to see if the signature matched up (honestly I am not sure if I sent it signature requiered or not, as they didn't mention when shipping, and I have never had to sign for recieveing ammo. So I didn't even think to ask for it, as I have never had this issue) to his name. I did not contact ups yet as I thought he would.

I responded back that could he check with the new homeowners to see if they got it, and that I have not recieved it back. Again though since ups did deliver to the "correct" address that I shipped to I'm not sure if they would be helpful or not. Also he mentioned that it is a 5 month previous address, not longer that I thought.

With this new information, what would you all do?
Cliffs- I probably shipped not requiring signature as it is not a policy.
He moved 5 months ago, not 6.

Maybe he is on here?
Old May 25, 2013, 10:53 PM   #42
Evan Thomas

It's on him to do something about this. Were it me, I'd tell him that and stop responding to his emails. The more you respond, the more he's going to think he'll get "something" out of you sooner or later. All he had to do was to give you his correct address in the first place.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:00 PM   #43
Jacobie

Yea, when asked about the address he responded that it was on the envelope he sent with the check. I didn't even look at it there, why would I? If you have one listed as the correct one with gunbroker I'm not bothering to double check its the same as the enevlope. Now maybe if he had included a note that said something along the lines of he knows his gunbroker one is wrong, but please send it here. Even then though, I would wonder why he didn't update his gunbroker account.

Obviously this all could have been avoided had he updated his address, and I think I will let him know that.
Old May 25, 2013, 11:04 PM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

Agreed, this is still on him.

Old May 25, 2013, 11:07 PM   #45
Jacobie

So even without me doing the signature I'm still in the right? Sorry, forgot that when I started the thread.
Old May 26, 2013, 07:58 AM   #46
Mike Irwin
Staff

You have shipper confirmation that UPS delivered the package to the address you pulled from gun broker, correct?

That should be information that UPS collects no matter what the signature request is.

All the signature does is confirm that someone was home when the package was delivered to the address you pulled from gun broker.

I'm still of the opinion that this guy screwed up. Who cares if his "new" address was on the return envelope. You pulled the shipping address from the system that he used to purchase the ammo.

That's a pretty logical place to get his shipping address.

He didn't tell you "hey, use the address on my payment envelope."

By purchasing through gun broker, he in effect affirmed that the address in gun broker's database was the correct address. By not doing so, it's his negligence, not yours.

At this point, it is up to him to deal with UPS and the fact that he screwed up.

My guess is that he's going to try to claim that "the shipper used the wrong address," and you're going to have to make sure that UPS knows that you used an address that he provided, but didn't verify.

Old May 26, 2013, 08:01 AM   #47
Dashunde

Right, its still on him because he didnt keep his account current per GB's Terms of Service, thus creating his own problem.

He cant really check with ups though, they'll only assist the shipper. Only the shipper can file a loss claim, etc.

To finalize this you should get with ups for verification that it was delivered to the address listed in his GB account just to cover yourself. Maybe someone did in fact sign for it anyway.
IIRC, they'll have the receiver sign for stuff if someone actually answers the door, whether its required or not.
Go check with them, you might get lucky on the signature issue.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:17 AM   #48
MLeake

That may vary with the driver, but I don't think UPS requires a signature if the shipper doesn't indicate, or the item doesn't require a signature.

I know the UPS drivers here sometimes just hand me packages, and when I ask if I need to sign, they usually say no.

Even so, tracking info will verify the delivery and address.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:56 AM   #49
Jacobie

So know he is wanting to know what I intend to do about it to make it right. I explained how this happened (not updating address) and how it cpuld be avoided. Also I let him know from my side of the street this looks questionable.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:14 AM   #50
kilimanjaro

If you feel you must do something else, just message him again saying it was shipped to your address as provided, and received.

It's a big mean world out there, and it's full of cheats and scammers.

If you feel really, really bad about all of this, go ahead and send him a note, telling him that you feel really, really bad about all of this, then let him suck on it.