The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 25, 2004, 09:52 AM   #1
jrfoxx

S&W m637 disassembly

I have recently bought a S&W model 637 and would like to take the side-plate off to give it a good cleaning. It has only had like 100 rounds or so through it, but since this is my carry gun, I plan to be very anal about its care. I have never taken anything like this apart, and was hoping for a little advice on disassembly and cleaning. i.e.-is a spring going to pop out on me, should i avoid touching any particular parts, etc? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but i'm new to this, so just want to know how to do this right, and avoid taking something apart i cant personally put back together. any help is apreciated. thanks.
Old September 25, 2004, 01:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The directions on how to do it RIGHT are difficult to fully explain on a forum.
There's more to it than just "remove some screws and pop it off".

Because of the risk of damaging or "dinking" the screws and side plate, I strongly recommend investing a few bucks in Jerry Kuhnhausen's book "The S&W Double Action Revolvers: A Shop Manual".

This is a pistolsmith's reference on how to disassemble, repair, adjust, troubleshoot, fit new parts, and reassemble a S&W the RIGHT way.

Cost is around $30.00, and should be a part of every S&W owner's gear, even if you don't plan on disassembling or repairing it.
Buy a copy from Brownell's, Midway, or order from most local and internet book stores.

Next, invest a few dollars in Brownell's S&W screwdriver set. This is a screwdriver handle and 3 or 4 driver bits that are EXACT fits in S&W screws.
The RIGHT driver bits won't "dink" the screw heads like standard drivers.

Again, we can tell you HOW to take the plate off, but telling and seeing in a good book are two different things.
Old September 25, 2004, 02:00 PM   #3
jrfoxx

as i suspected

Thank you for the reply. That is why i asked the question here rather than just "dive in" myself. I strongly suspected it involved more than just taking off the plate and cleaning inside, and not knowing too much about the intricate details of the gun, i felt it best to get some advice first. thanks for the book and tool tips. i will definitely check that out. i may take it to my local smith for the cleaning for now, until i can get the book and tools and study up. thanks.
Old September 27, 2004, 12:28 PM   #4
JNewell

I strongly agree with the post above that the recommended minimum kit for opening a S&W revolver is Jerry Kuhnhausen's book and the Brownell's S&W screwdriver (get the one with four bits, not three).

The other side of this is that if you are reasonably prudent, careful and coordinated you may do a better job than the local "smith."

Cost of the book and screwdriver (what you really want is the bits, actually, but they come with a handle) is maybe $45. It's a good investment.
Old October 17, 2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Wallew

THERE is a cleaner out there that comes in a bucket. REMOVE your grips and just plop that baby in there. About two hours later, remove it and blow dry with compressed air. Reinstall grips.

Cleaner can be used MANY TIMES before having to be replaced. I just can't remember the name of it.

ANYONE remember the name of this cleaner?