The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 2, 2014, 06:06 PM   #1
oldscot3

The latest on Privy brass

I've read a few older posts on Privy brass... anyone have recent experience/observations to share?

I'm thinking of buying a bag in 270 Win to try.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
1stmar

I use it for 308. No issues. Seems consistent, case weights to no vary more then anything else. Personally I'd rate it higher then winchester, r-p or federal for consistency.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:24 PM   #3
emcon5

I use it in milsurp calibers, 7.62X54r, 8X57, 7X57 and .303 and it seems to be quality stuff.

Seems to be equal to Remington or Winchester and generally a lot less expensive.
Old August 2, 2014, 09:07 PM   #4
pathdoc

Good experiences in .303 British, full-length resizing in a very sloppy chamber. No case head separation and only one neck split after multiple reloads, but some trimming to length required. Par for the course in .303; other calibres will not be so problematic.
Old August 2, 2014, 10:57 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

I'm with Emcon above, those calibers and more. Good brass.

Their 22 Hornet ammo is pretty good, and I get the brass, can't beat that for the price, US-made brass costs almost as much as their loaded Hornet.
Old August 2, 2014, 11:59 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I like it.

My preferred brands are:
Lapua
Norma
Hornady (certain cartridges)
PPU

For several cartridges, I will opt for PPU brass over Winchester, R-P, Federal, etc. in a heart beat.
In fact, my current 6x45mm build is going to be using exclusively PPU brass, when it's finished. (Lake City brass is probably just as good - maybe a little better - but I don't have to prep the PPU before I can use it. )
Old August 3, 2014, 08:52 AM   #7
wogpotter

My second favorite brand of .303 Brit. Good stuff.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 3, 2014, 09:27 AM   #8
oldscot3

Ok...I'm in. It's available and way cheaper than Norma or Nosler. Lapua apparently doesn't make it for 270. R-P usually unavaible, Win. sometimes available but I'm reading a lot of complaints about Winchester's quality being "spotty" right now.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:32 AM   #9
chiefr

Far superior to domestic. Only Norma and Lapua I would consider better.
Old August 3, 2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Blindstitch

I use it for 6.5 jap and it seems to hold up ok. Not as good as Norma but with a way better price.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:15 AM   #11
wogpotter

Bear in mind I'm talking about .303 here so its not a direct comparison.

In order I'd rate Win dead last as I've always had a problem with Win Brass getting neck splits ahead of anyone else. Rem is decent, but a bit on the light side of specs (for .303 at least). Norma is Norma, both great & expensive but as rare as chicken's teeth. PPU is cheap, available & one of the better qualities.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old August 3, 2014, 08:09 PM   #12
nemesiss45

I have rarely shot it. Last week I put 2 boxes of it through my m1 garand and it ripped the rim off 2 of them.... could be the rifle, but I had no problems on an equal amount of mil surp ammo.
Old August 3, 2014, 10:25 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I have rarely shot it. Last week I put 2 boxes of it through my m1 garand and it ripped the rim off 2 of them.... could be the rifle, but I had no problems on an equal amount of mil surp ammo.
Their factory ammo is loaded to CIP standards, rather than SAAMI standards. Often, the CIP standards are a little hotter.

Plus... the load may have never been intended for use in a Garand. (If was even the load's fault.)
Old August 4, 2014, 09:01 AM   #14
chiefr

Quote:
Bear in mind I'm talking about .303 here so its not a direct comparison.
Good point and PPU is all that I can find right now.

On the subject of 303, I think we all know how much chambers vary. I own and shoot 4 British rifles: P-14, SMLE 3, 4, & 5. The #5 does not get fired that much.

As a result, I NSO all of my cases and dedicate each round of brass to one particular rifle. I tumble separately so to make sure cases do not get mixed.

Years ago, I used the domestic stuff ended up tossing after 4-5 reloads mostly for neck splits. Also had to trim and even annealing did not help.

Conversely NORMA was the stellar performer. For a while it has been impossible to find NORMA.

When PPU became available not that long ago, I started using it and have for one particular rifle loaded it up 7 times already. I will keep loading until I see signs of problems.
I stick to bullets of around 175gr in the 303 and loads are kept around the "start" column. Not overdoing it is also a contributor to case life as I see it.