The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1
locked'n'cocked

question about an old goofy choke vs. slugs

i have an old ithaca model 37 feather weight 16ga.(you can hold the trigger down and it will go boom every time you pump it) with one of those adjustable chokes. if i wanted to shoot slugs out of it would it be possible with one of those chokes? the gun is in excelent shape and i know for a fact that it has been fired 26 times(all by me) my dad's cusin had it and never shot it and i got it when the cousin died.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp

Last edited by locked'n'cocked; June 14, 2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old June 14, 2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Ruger4570

If you pump it and it goes BOOM,, it is an old Ithaca.. several years ago they put in a disconnector to stop this. If you want to shoot slugs, I would advise that you use the most open choke available. The Ithaca shotgun is a quality made gun and with a minimum of care will last a lifetime or more. Be careful with the 'Boom" thing.
Old June 14, 2005, 08:09 PM   #3
locked'n'cocked

thanks but i already knew all of that. i guess i want very clear in my first post. would it be possible to shoot slugs with the choke that it currently has on it? it is one of those old ones that screws on to the muzzle of the gun and can be adjusted to different chokes by twisting it. i dont know if that makes any sense but its the best i can explain it.

Old June 14, 2005, 08:12 PM   #4
mete

You have an adjustable choke, that's what it's called . Just dial it to the most open choke and give it a try.
Old June 14, 2005, 08:49 PM   #5
locked'n'cocked

ok whats the worst that could happen? just blow the adjustable choke off?

Old June 14, 2005, 09:39 PM   #6
Marcus

What you have isn`t "goofy". It`s most likely a Poly Choke brand adj. choke. It should be marked. They were popular for several decades and were a factory option on many guns. In fact Mossberg was still selling their own version in the late `80s. I used to have a 37 Featherweight 12ga. with one on it. It worked pretty good actually. The patterns weren`t spectacular but they weren`t bad either. To shoot slugs just do like recomended above. Look at the markings,select "Open" and shoot away. Marcus
Old June 15, 2005, 12:10 AM   #7
Nnobby45

Screw in chokes are the ones that eventually end up down range when using buckshot and slugs. Don't know about the Poly choke.
Old June 15, 2005, 02:55 AM   #8
arcticap

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...g+C-Lect+Choke

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.ph...ight=polychoke
Old June 15, 2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Ramcharger

I had a really old Savage pump with one of those. I had no problem with it but I only shot one box of 5 slugs just to see if it could.
It was a quial gun so I only carried slugs incase I ran into a good target of opportunity or a hidden methlab.