The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2004, 09:48 PM   #1
AR-55

semi auto shotgun question

Is the benelli m4 shotgun worth the money? Is their any another semi auto shotgun out there any one would prefer?
Old November 26, 2004, 12:35 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

Have you got the time to listen

I have the super eagle 90 benelli myself, I love it. There are many others that I have had through the years; Win Super X2 as well as a Rem 1187. I would like to try the new Mossberg 937, I think is the model in 3 1/2". The benneli has been the best money I have spent though. You can take it to the field, swamp, deer stand, turkey woods are just anywhere you want, and it performs well clean or dirty as all get out.
Old November 26, 2004, 09:29 AM   #3
Lycanthrope

You really need to shoot some. The recoil pulses of shotguns can differ greatly, particularly between the recoil operated and the gas operated guns.

I tried several Benellis, but despite the slightly slower bolt cycle, I can track follow up targets a lot faster with the 1100's. The guns just felt somewhat awkward to me.
Old November 26, 2004, 10:17 AM   #4
K80Geoff

"You really need to shoot some..."

Best advice for a new shooter. Shotguns are more personal than rifles or even handguns. Every shooter is different and guns are different. Fit to your body is more critical with a shotgun, as is the way each gun handles recoil.

Go and shoot several different guns before you buy.

Most Trap and Skeet clubs have rentals, and once you start shooting other shooters will let you shoot their guns.
Old November 27, 2004, 08:52 AM   #5
Indy_SIG

Quote:
...... and once you start shooting other shooters will let you shoot their guns.
Shooters must be more friendly in your part of the world
Old November 27, 2004, 09:25 AM   #6
mete

It works in Iraq even when filled with sand or mud !!!
Old November 27, 2004, 09:58 AM   #7
K80Geoff

Most of the shotgunning I have done has been in New York. And shooters will always let you shoot their guns if you have demonstrated that you are safe and not a jerk.

Clay target shooters, skeet and sporting in particular, are gentlemen and always willing to help new shooters out. And most are willing to convince you that their gun is what you really need.

Rifle and pistol shooters, and Trap shooters, tend to be jerks.

My SC shotgun is worth more than my car, but I never hesitate to let other shooters have a chance to shoot it, although I usually ask that they use my ammo, and am always nearby.

If you shoot skeet, other shooters will let you have a shot or two unless you are a complete jerk or violate safety rules.

Best way is to ask about the gun they are shooting, how they like it, why did they choose it etc. Tell them you are new and looking for the right gun. Invariably you will end up taking a target with it.
Old December 6, 2004, 10:54 PM   #8
Kordyte

I use a Benelli M2 Field (many people mistake this for a Super Black Eagle 2 - they are quite similar). This, like many Benellis, is a great shotguns for just about anything. My personal opinion is that something like an M4 would only have an advantage over my M2 or a SBE2 in combat. If you want a home defense shotgun, go ahead and get the M4. If youre using it to hunt/shoot trap, the M2 or any other non-combat shotgun is just as good, and maybe a little cheaper and easier to use.
Old December 7, 2004, 01:32 PM   #9
buzz_knox

Quote:
It works in Iraq even when filled with sand or mud !!!
Can you confirm that? Because according to Louis Awerbuck (who taught a shotgun course to a group of Marines deploying to Iraq), the Benelli doesn't work on the range. He had two separate complete weapon failures in less than a box of ammunition.
Old December 7, 2004, 08:45 PM   #10
mete

Can't remember where I might have seen that . I wonder If I'm confusing M1014 [M4 civilian] with M4 carbine . I'd also like some info on the Avon Round - Lock Buster.
Old December 8, 2004, 01:07 AM   #11
AUG

Speaking of Louis Awerbuck, I have taken two classes from him. One of the classes was a shotgun course and the one Benelli shotgun broke and couldn't finish the class.

buzz-knox did you take the classes Louis taught in Sevierville? I took two of the three (Level 1 shotgun and pistol) classes he taught there. Just curious because if you did we were in the same class.