The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 11, 2013, 08:59 PM   #1
arch308

Bersa 45

A short while ago I acquired a Bersa Thunder 380 for a lady friend of mine and of course I got to shoot it with her. She fell in love with it and has bought it from me. I was rather impressed with it for the $300 price tag and ended up buying a stainless model for myself. Anyway, a few days later I ran across a Thunder 45 Ultracompact on Texas Gun Trader and after reading a few good reviews on line I managed to buy it.
Took it to the range today after work and was very impressed with it. I tried 3 different types of ammo including my reloads and it ran without a hitch. Accuracy was superb and the little pistol was very comfortable to shoot, even with hot loads. The gun was LNIB for $420 and shot very well. I think I'll keep it!
Time will tell about the longevity of the gun but if you're looking for a compact 45 on a budget I would certainly suggest you give one a try.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:34 AM   #2

How was the recoil? How many rounds does it hold in the mag? Thanks
Old May 12, 2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Sparks1957

I've had a Bersa Thunder 45 UC for about a year now. You can do a lot worse for the money. Mine has had no malfunctions in 400-500 rounds, and mechanically is rugged and reliable. The finish is a bit poor, but if you're looking for a good functional gun, the Bersa is a good choice.

It's a 7+1 capacity, and isn't finicky about ammo. Recoil is quite light, though a bit more than the 9mm version. Very comfortable ergonomics.

My Sig 220 is my favorite 45, and I've got my eye on a CZ 97 for the future, but the Bersa is a fine, inexpensive gun.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4
arch308

The recoil is light for the size and yes 7+1 capacity. I agree the finish is lacking but that doesn't really matter to me for a carry/truck gun.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:24 PM   #5
michael t

Bersa 45 a great carry pistol have a lady on Bersachat who carries one every day even work . They are very trouble free and pretty popular on the Bersachat.com board
Old May 15, 2013, 08:34 AM   #6
loose_holster_dan

you're lucky you didn't get hammer bite. i can't fire a single round through that gun without getting hammer bite. it's also very wide and heavy for an "ultra compact" gun if you plan to carry it. sold mine years ago. IMO the thunder 380 was the superior design for them.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 15, 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
lee n. field

Quote:
you're lucky you didn't get hammer bite.
Forgot to mention that. Mine bites and will draw blood eventually unless I'm very careful. It's my fat hands. The 45 could use a bigger beavertail, like the Bersa .380 has.

Quote:
it's also very wide and heavy for an "ultra compact" gun
Wide it certainly is. Heavy it is not. IMHO, YMMV.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 15, 2013, 09:31 PM   #8
s4s4u

compact 45 on a budget

I really don't consider a double stack 45 as being compact, but if it works for you that is all that matters.
Old May 16, 2013, 11:13 PM   #9
michael t

The Bersa 45 isn't a double stack pistol The 9 and 40 are but the 45 isn't

The 9mm and the 45 are well liked by their owners I have owned 2 of the 9mm and passed them on to family members.
Old May 17, 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
loose_holster_dan

you sure about that? i don't have mine anymore, but i'm pretty sure it was a double stack.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old May 17, 2013, 03:23 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
The Bersa 45 isn't a double stack pistol The 9 and 40 are but the 45 isn't
Um. Yeah, it is.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 17, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
arch308

Yes, it is a double stack magazine and fits my hand very well. No hammer bites yet. Planning on shooting it some more this weekend.