The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2009, 06:33 PM   #26
remshooter

Quote:
???? carpet
Not trying to hijack your thread but why no carpet? Is it static?
You don't want to vac. up spilled gunpowder.
Old March 27, 2009, 07:39 PM   #27
markr

On the carpet, something to think about.

My setup is in the basement with a conc floor. However, I keep an old carpet doormat under the press for two reasons. 1 - Cusion, in case I drop a primer. 2 - In case I drop a soft point bullet, the tip doesn't get buggered up. It doesn't seem to take much of a fall to bugger up a lead tipped bullet.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 28, 2009, 12:38 PM   #28
oneounceload

Carpet, especially shag gets that stuff in there and is damn near impossible to get it cleaned up. Then, there's the risk of static electricity setting off something.......the mess makes momma unhappy - and remember, if momma ain't happy, ain't NO BODY happy...!
Old March 28, 2009, 01:13 PM   #29
ZeSpectre

Which is not to say that a hunk of shag carpet remnant isn't a good thing but you should plan on replacing it every now and then after it picks up stuff.
Old March 28, 2009, 04:13 PM   #30
gman3

Horizontal space

As rg1 said, I have to hide any empty horizontal space or else my wife will put something there thus hijacking my space.
Old March 28, 2009, 06:21 PM   #31
landcruzr

Well, the room is framed. Drywall is up- one more coat of mud should do it. The interior space is coming along- Two 4' flourecent lights with 2 bulbs each make it look like a sunny day on the beach!
The bench is being made- frame work is coming along- The marble top is cut-It will be 26" deep and 6' long-
My contractor gave me a solid wood door- told me that if I take some construction adhesive, and bond the marble to the door for the top- It will NEVER break- so I'm going to continue with the original plan and have a marble top- right now the basement is pretty cluttered with all the work being done- will try to clean up and get a pic or two up- thanks for all the suggestions!!!!
Old March 29, 2009, 12:10 AM   #32
rosco.217

I worked in a granite and marble countertop business and we "rodded" all of the countertops especially the marble. Same concept as rebar in concrete. Cut slots in the underside of the countertop almost the length of the countertop, which already would have a fiberglass net bonded to the back of it, dry out the slot with a propane torch, don't get too hot, fill the slot with an adhesive and put a fiberglass rod, square shape to fit the slot, and wipe off the excess adhesive. But I’d imagine the solid wood door will be plenty of reinforcement. Tape where you are going to drill holes to keep from scratchin up the top if the bit slips or walks, and it helps to keep from chipping the edge of the hole.
Old March 29, 2009, 07:20 AM   #33
dlb435

What rg1 said.....at least I'm not the omly one with the wife hijacking my space.
I use one of those industrial closed cell comfort mats on the floor. Takes the strain off the legs but as easy as a bare floor to clean up.
Light, lots of light. Make it brighter than you think you will need and leave room for extra lamps.
Compressed air supply is nice to have.
I use a tall roll around tool box to store the supplies in.
Leave room for an extra press or two. You will add more as time goes on.
Old April 2, 2009, 04:56 PM   #34
James R. Burke

I believe you got some really good ideas from the members out there. I picked a few up that I am going to do some updating with. When I built mine I took a big corner of the basement, and claimed it as mine, so nobody goes in there unless with me. I have a secure spot for the primers, and a seperate one for my powders. I think being in a nice quite spot being left alone by yourself is key. You need to stay focused on what you are doing, and keep the order on how you are doing things the same. I even tell the wife if someone calls just tell them I am reloading, and can't be bothered, and I will call them back. She knows not to bother me unless it is very, very, important. The less going on around you the better. Have fun, and build a nice set up. Maybe even post some pic's when your done. Keep it safe!
Old April 3, 2009, 06:26 PM   #35
Toolman

Figure out how much space you think you'll need. Then double it.
Read all the reply's to this thread and make notes. Re-do the plan you started out with. Put outlets on the walls on 4ft centers, leave the walls free so you can add additional countertops & wall cabnets, build a closet big enough that you can hide your gun safe(s) in, sound proof the walls so the tumblers don't bother anyone, do not put carpet down and you'll probably get along ok for a few years.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:17 PM   #36
landcruzr

The bench is roughed in and the marble layed out- I built some cabinet space and mounted the press onto the marble-after mounting the press I ran 50 30-06 pieces through-they were military pieces with crimps- my way of testing the marble I guess-
So far so good- there doesnt seem to be any extraordinary pressure from the press on the marble-and is literaly solid as a rock!! Its still far from finished, as I still want to do alot with the room like add more cabinets above the bench and little things here and there- but just thought I would share the good news that the marble seems to be holding up just fine!!
DSCN1465.jpg

DSCN1463.jpg

DSCN1462.jpg
Old April 10, 2009, 08:55 PM   #37
USP9c

Looking nice.

I do all my loading with my Dad's setup and so far that has worked out very nicely. Certainly keeps cost down!