The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 14, 2008, 09:45 AM   #26
RLFD5415

Quote:
TT cow hunts in NW Colorado are not out of range of the working man, but they are by no means cheap either if you live out of State. With a little internet search you can find a decent place with a chance to get into some elk with a little luck. You don't have to hire a guide just get a few guys together with some camping gear and split the costs to come out here. We have plenty of public land up here to hunt, and bring the wife, and kids and make it a family affair. Youth cow elk tags are pretty affordable even for a non-resident and you could live vicariously through them.

+1. I do a do-it-yourself hunt every year. We drive out. I do have the advantage of having lived in CO and WY for several years. Over the years, I've obtained all the gear we need, so now it is really just time and gas money. The latter can be spread across a couple of buds. The former alas is the challenge. My own business and two lads in travel hockey means little time for RLFD hunts

I
Quote:
n fact, I adore my 45/70. I've had two prior to this one, and this is the 2nd time that I've had this one. I'm keeping it for good. I missed it more than any that I have ever traded with. Many guns feel like objects, this one always felt like mine.
Contrary to the debate, I'm truly only a mild 338 WM fan. What I truly love also is my 45-70 - shooting, hand-loading, everything about it. Getting off topic, though. Maybe we should start yet another 45-70 thread.
Old October 14, 2008, 03:26 PM   #27
lt dan

rlfd: the man asked what cant i hunt? my answer is: he can hunt any thing, but there are 5 species he wont be able to stop if they charge. he asked a honest question!
Old October 14, 2008, 05:31 PM   #28
RLFD5415

c'mon Dan. Why you gotta go remind us that we live on the wrong side of the pond as far as "real" hunting is concerned. I can't take it I tell ya!
Old October 14, 2008, 09:13 PM   #29
JAXX

RLFD, no worries bro, I just saw the opportunity to make a little fun of New York Elk! Were do you hunt when you come to Wyoming? I just shot a nice spike up on the Beartooths on the 1st with my .270 (140 grain Accubond at 2950 fps). I hunt Park County exclusively and there are more than enough Elk to go around up here. In fact, we see less and less people up here hunting every year. It's a shame really. We fight for our right to hunt, and people just quit participating. Anyway, Terminator, hell, I think you need a 416 Rigby in all honesty
Old October 14, 2008, 09:28 PM   #30
bcarver

Whitetail deer..

in muzzleloader season.
Old October 15, 2008, 06:53 AM   #31
RLFD5415

Jaxx,

When heading to WY, we hunt near Bridger Wilderness. Now that I reside in NY, WY says that I no longer know my way around and need a guide to show me the way in Bridger.

The past two years we've hunted CO and NM. The BLM and Forest Service have lost complete control of the lands where we were in NM. It was a free-for-all. Anything goes type deal. First time there and probably the last.

We hunt near Gunnison in CO. Elk are plentiful, but so are the hunters. CO DoW has a significant presence, which keeps everyone in line. Last year our party got two nice sized cows, but I came up dry.

Right now we are debating where to put in for 2009. My guess is WY will win out.

Hunting NY elk every after work right now. Muzzle loader is in and it is very difficult to drop our elk with a ML. I really could use that 416 Rigby.

My apologies to TT, we are way off-topic now.
Old October 15, 2008, 09:46 AM   #32
The Terminator

I just wanted to add, some 45/70 fans are quite proud of the fact that it has taken the big 5, and tests are available to show that it out penetrates the 375 H&H, in wet newsprint. This is done with modern loads.

However, were I to be in such a fictious situation, a charging elephant, or rhino, or water buff, or lion, and there was a 45/70 and a 458 mag laying there, I don't think I'd reach for the 45/70. To me, this video looks like the thrill of a lifetime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_yTNo36YOs

This is the one that I was looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgzk-...eature=related
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old October 15, 2008, 09:50 AM   #33
The Terminator

Quote:
My apologies to TT, we are way off-topic now.
No problem, these threads grow a life of their own. I don't mind in the least. In case you hadn't noticed, Art is not a thread Nazi like in some of the other forum. Right, Art.

Best - Ted
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old October 15, 2008, 04:18 PM   #34
RLFD5415

Hey TT,

If I were a guide over yonder, I would not hesitate to carry my guide gun with hot 405 or 500 grain loads as backup or charge medicine. I can crank out loads approaching 458 win energy levels at the muzzle. A double rifle is probably faster on the second shot, though.

If I'm a client, though, trajectory limitiations unfortunately convince me to leave it in camp. .

Thanks for the links, BTW.
Old October 15, 2008, 05:59 PM   #35
sc928porsche

I dont belive that hunting Timbo, Rhino, Cape Buff, or the River Horse with a 45-70 would be my first choice. I would probably stay from Mr Kodiak and Mr Polar as well.