The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 17, 2002, 02:19 PM   #1
NYCOP

Blackhills blue box ammo, should I use for coyotes? AR-15 what can you tell me about

What can you tell me about this ammo? is it any good for coyotes out of the AR-15? is it pretty accurate? what grain should I pick(I practice with win Q3131A)? do they have diffrent choices? hollow point and so on?
Old December 17, 2002, 03:09 PM   #2
dakotasin

the blue box is factory reloads using lake city brass. the accuracy of it should be acceptable. some rifles shoot it fairly well, some only so-so. overall, the accuracy is not spectacular.

in the 223, i know they have nosler ballistic tips available...i think there are other styles available, but not sure...i don't think the blue box is available w/ moly, but am not positive on that.

when i use factory loads for the 223, which is pretty rare, i usually use black hills red box stuff. the red box ammo is all new, and the brass is labeled 'bha - match'. in my 223, this brass is very good...runout is minimal and consistency is great; i use these loads because i want the brass, really no other reason, although the accuracy is generally very good. the stuff i buy is loaded w/ 52 grain match bullets (probably sierra matchkings, but not sure).

the ammo should be fine in an ar, though all my 22's are bolts, so i have no experience, there.

if you reload, i'd advise spending the extra money on the red box so you'll have some real nice brass to load later. if you don't load your own, the blue box should be able to cover most of your uses if the accuracy is ok in your rifle. i think the blue boxes are loaded with mixed lots of lc brass...mixing lots of brass is generally not the best way to achieve best accuracy.
Old December 17, 2002, 11:30 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If you're getting three- or five-shot groups inside two MOA, inside a hundred yards Ol' Wiley won't care what you use. Chest shot, he's ruint.

If you expect to go to 200 yards or more, then down around one MOA starts becoming important. Beyond 200, the particular bullet becomes of greater importance for a clean kill.

I've never shot a coyote out at 300 yards with a .223; around 125 is about as far as I've had a clear shot. The 55-grain Rem SP worked just fine. I've killed feral cats to 300 or so with the Sierra 52-grain HPBT, but from a Swift--with some 500 or 600 ft/sec more MV. But, they never moved after being hit.

Art
Old December 18, 2002, 02:09 AM   #4
NYCOP

What should I use? 55gr hollow point or 55gr soft point?
Old December 18, 2002, 06:30 AM   #5
dakotasin

i'd use nosler ballistic tip for coyotes if they shoot in your rifle. hollow point would be 3rd choice behind hornady v-max.
Old December 18, 2002, 10:04 AM   #6
H&H,hunter

NYCOP,
Use anything you've got. Coyotes ain't hard to kill once you put a sight on them. I used to kill them with 55gr ball all the time never had a problem with it.