The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 12, 2016, 11:52 AM   #26
DA/SA Fan

I think 1911 I think .45. I think 9mm I think CZ75B, or maybe a browning HighPower. If you can get a nice HighPower at your budget it would be nice but I still think the CZ has more to offer as a 9mm even if only marginally. If you want to keep it under $500.00 you can go with a TriStar and give up a very small amount of fit an finish over the CZ.
Old June 13, 2016, 10:26 PM   #27
gsparesa

Hi-Point C9, $150 and nobody will want to take it from you.
Old June 14, 2016, 10:29 AM   #28
madmo44mag

The Star looks like a good range option and 9mm is a range gun for me.
I CCW a SR40c.
Everyone I ever knew that had a CZ swore by them and Browings are known for being great guns.
My problem is sights.
Low profile sights are hard for me to use.
My eyes are as young as they once were and in low light the low profile sights suck.
The RI sights are not too bad but the CZ sights are taller and wider.
Hmmmmmmm.
So what say the CZ guys.
Which 9mm CZ has the best sights and overall function?
Old June 14, 2016, 02:54 PM   #29
shaunpain

I highly recommend the M&P Pro. I bought one from a guy down the street for $500 on the nose. He included a reset assist mechanism from Apex that he never bothered to install. I put it in right away as the gun had no discernible reset and that fixed it. I am a 1911 guy, but am now a firm believer in the high capacity striker fired 9mm. It is the ideal platform and very ergonomic. The grip angle is 1911 whereas the Glock is a Luger. I like the M&P because it handles like a 1911.
Old June 14, 2016, 09:51 PM   #30
DubC-Hicks

For CZ's, there really isn't one that I couldn't recommend. They're all excellent pistols. If you like polymer, the compact P-07 and full size P-09 are great. For metal, you can get the CZ75b compact, PCR, P-01, CZ75b, CZ85b, or the CZ75b Single action (I have one and love it. Kind of compares to a 1911. Kind of) If you want a subcompact, you can even get a RAMI.
Old June 15, 2016, 09:14 AM   #31
tallball

My FiL kept his eyes open online and got a brand-new CZ75b for under $400.

I have an old FEG High Power clone and the sights are small. It has been a good pistol for me. But due to the tiny sights I don't shoot it all that much anymore.

My Super B has decent sights, way better than the High Power clone, and significantly better than my bare-bones GI 1911.
Old June 15, 2016, 10:08 AM   #32
TailGator

Quote:
My FiL kept his eyes open online and got a brand-new CZ75b for under $400.
How recently was that? They seem to be going up.
Old June 16, 2016, 12:44 AM   #33
YoungGun

FNS 9 or 9 Compact.

Yg
Old June 16, 2016, 06:54 AM   #34
madmo44mag

The more I look at the CZ75b the more I like it. I have shot one of these before and one of my shooting buddies has a CZ in 40cal and I'm taking it out next Sunday for a test drive.
I want to try and stay on budget but that didn't work for me last time. I came home with a new Colt Gold Cup Trophy 45acp instead of a RI.
Check around with some of my other shooting buddies. I sure one of them has a M&P I can test drive.
The FNS is also nagging at me to take a closer look at.
Old June 16, 2016, 02:11 PM   #35
larryf1952

I have 2 CZ75B's in 9mm and 40. They are great guns, but the triggers tend to stink out of the box. Mine were both long and gritty.

I have just recently given a serious look to the FN guns. I could slap myself for waiting so long. If you haven't done so already, check out Hickock45's review on YouTube of the FNS-9. He loved it.

I just bought a stainless FNS-40 for an outrageously good clearance price from Palmetto State Armory. Absolutely great guns, and they are not hideously ugly. They also come with 3 magazines and a couple of different interchangeable backstraps.
Old June 18, 2016, 02:14 AM   #36
scoobysnacker

Someone mentioned CDI Sales (Cole's Distributing) in an above post, I believe in reference to a Hi Power.
They also list CZ 75's (both B and pre B) among their options.

Of all the pistols I own in 9mm, my CZ 75 pre B is my favorite; I like it so much (and so does my son), that I bought another as his 21st birthday gift and first/only pistol.

My other 9mms (all fit within your price range, as I got them at or south of $300):
Beretta 92SF
S&W 39-2
S&W 915
Star 30MI
Star B Super
FEG Hi Power clone
Zastava CZ99
Norinco T-54 with 9mm barrel

These are all great pistols, although on the heavy side for some.

You mention sights; my experience here: my CZs have thin blade front sights, a little tough to pick up at first, but allow for very precise shooting. The Beretta and the S&W 915 have (faint) Tijicon sights, and the CZ99 has a (dead) variation on that; the big 3 dot design is easy to see.
The Star 30MI has a unique red/white pattern that also is easy to see.

As you can tell, I like my guns to be metal, steel if possible. Not unbearably heavy, despite the modern complaints, and I find they give a better feel and followup.
Old June 18, 2016, 01:49 PM   #37
Boncrayon

Here I am again - Sold my 9mm I just can’t seem to hold on too 9mm pistols.

Go to a .380 (mini-9mm). Find out from an NRA instructor how to grip the firearm without T-Cupping and crossing thumbs...and breathing exercises.
Old June 18, 2016, 07:57 PM   #38
highpower3006

Why does it have to be a new gun???? There are literally thousands of used 9mm's out there that can be had for under (or right at) your price point.

Case in point: A few years ago I picked up a 1969 vintage Belgian Hipower for $450 and just last December I scored a WWII P38 for $400. Both deals were private party sales, so no tax or any of that nonsense.

And another thought, I have also recently picked up a couple Sig P226's, one for $550 and the other for $500. You can't really get any better than a Sig.

Also, if I may offer a suggestion, don't sell your guns. I have found over the years that while I may not use a particular gun at the moment, I always seem to go back to them at a later date. Case in point is my Gold Cup, I hadn't shot it in years and in the last few months, I rekindled my interest in it and it goes out with me every time I go shooting.

Last edited by highpower3006; June 18, 2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old June 29, 2016, 02:48 PM   #39
madmo44mag

Well Sunday I shot a CZ75b in 40 cal.
Great shooting gun but the short slide is a dealer killer.
The dang slide is so low I have a hard time holding on to it.
Well I have made up my mind on a 9mm.
I’ll get me a RI 1911 style 9mm and not ever look back.
Thanks for all the input.
Old June 30, 2016, 08:17 AM   #40
Skans

I have a special recommendation for the OP. Splurge. Buy a really nice 9mm - something unique like a Sphinx AT2000 (if you can find one), Sphinx SDP, Tanfoglio Stock or Stock II, Sig X-Five Competition - there are others. Make it a large capacity 9mm, too. That way, you won't get rid of it. Cheaper in the long run.
Old June 30, 2016, 11:47 AM   #41
racedawg

Get a Sig

Sent from my LGMS395 using Tapatalk
Old July 1, 2016, 07:25 AM   #42
WVsig

OP wants to keep the purhase around $500. Why are people suggesting guns that are $1500+?
Old July 1, 2016, 09:41 AM   #43
Skans

Because, if you buy something nice, unique, attractive and good quality, you will be proud of it and far less likely to dump it for another frumpy gun -cheaper in the long run.